So did anyone compare this to anything? If not here, maybe on diyaudio?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Poutine Objective2 Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones Under $200ish Last post on 9/14/12 at 2:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 12/22/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Aune M2 Pro Review Intro : Since the past few years I had kept myself away from trying out any new DAPs or audio gear since I was pretty satisfied with my Fiio X5 (1st gen) and Sansa Clip...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 38810/3/11 at 3:42pmpost #48 of 38810/3/11 at 6:30pmpost #49 of 38810/4/11 at 9:36ampost #50 of 38810/4/11 at 10:07ampost #51 of 38810/4/11 at 11:07am
If you need a lower constant voltage regardless of volume sure. There isn't anything horrible about using the ipod headphone out as a preamp in this case though. The O2 can handle it more than well enough.post #52 of 38810/4/11 at 1:54pm
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better. Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification? I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?post #53 of 38810/4/11 at 5:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Reticuli2
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better.
The ipod output impedance is roughly 30 ohms iirc.
Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification?
The ipod is performing some voltage amplification. Think of a DAC going to an IV stage or preamp, then to an amp.
I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?
The O2 would need a gain of 12 to reach the same amplification level, I really didn't want to mess with a gain the high. Let's say I get away from the ipod in the future and the next player does not have a line-out. Now I have to decrease the digital volume and dynamic range available to get it to work since most are ~1V. That is a bad trade-off in comparison IMO. I don't know whether the line-out into a gain of 12 would be better, but if it is I doubt it would be significant.
Sounds like something to ask NwAvGuy though :)
Replies in bold.post #54 of 3882/27/12 at 6:17pmpost #55 of 3883/7/12 at 7:06pmpost #56 of 3883/10/12 at 6:22pmpost #57 of 3883/11/12 at 9:04am
Please, be sure to let me (those who are curious) know how it mates with your D7!
Edited by SLCanhead - 3/11/12 at 9:06ampost #58 of 3883/11/12 at 4:58pmQuote:
I no longer have my D7. I have sold it away in exchange for an O2
The D7 is like a mini-replica of my desktop setup, very nice indeed. I hope that the O2 will work well with my desktop DAC on my custom iem to make the parting of my D7 more bearable. =)post #59 of 3883/11/12 at 5:52pm
Makes sense. Sorry to hear about your "loss", but from the way it sounds I am sure you will get over it ...
I guess I may have to be the first, then!Quote:
- Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › NEW! SONY NW-WM1 HI-END DAP 1 second ago
- › FS: Auralic Aries Streamer/Bridge 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › EarSonics' new 9 BA driver flagship: the S-EM9 2 minutes ago
- › 2016 SONY FLAGSHIP - MDR-Z1R 3 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 5 minutes ago
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...