So did anyone compare this to anything? If not here, maybe on diyaudio?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Poutine Objective2 Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones Under $200ish Last post on 9/14/12 at 2:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 38610/3/11 at 3:42pmpost #48 of 38610/3/11 at 6:30pmpost #49 of 38610/4/11 at 9:36ampost #50 of 38610/4/11 at 10:07ampost #51 of 38610/4/11 at 11:07am
If you need a lower constant voltage regardless of volume sure. There isn't anything horrible about using the ipod headphone out as a preamp in this case though. The O2 can handle it more than well enough.post #52 of 38610/4/11 at 1:54pm
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better. Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification? I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?post #53 of 38610/4/11 at 5:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Reticuli2
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better.
The ipod output impedance is roughly 30 ohms iirc.
Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification?
The ipod is performing some voltage amplification. Think of a DAC going to an IV stage or preamp, then to an amp.
I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?
The O2 would need a gain of 12 to reach the same amplification level, I really didn't want to mess with a gain the high. Let's say I get away from the ipod in the future and the next player does not have a line-out. Now I have to decrease the digital volume and dynamic range available to get it to work since most are ~1V. That is a bad trade-off in comparison IMO. I don't know whether the line-out into a gain of 12 would be better, but if it is I doubt it would be significant.
Sounds like something to ask NwAvGuy though :)
Replies in bold.post #54 of 3862/27/12 at 6:17pmpost #55 of 3863/7/12 at 7:06pmpost #56 of 3863/10/12 at 6:22pmpost #57 of 3863/11/12 at 9:04am
Please, be sure to let me (those who are curious) know how it mates with your D7!
Edited by SLCanhead - 3/11/12 at 9:06ampost #58 of 3863/11/12 at 4:58pmQuote:
I no longer have my D7. I have sold it away in exchange for an O2
The D7 is like a mini-replica of my desktop setup, very nice indeed. I hope that the O2 will work well with my desktop DAC on my custom iem to make the parting of my D7 more bearable. =)post #59 of 3863/11/12 at 5:52pm
Makes sense. Sorry to hear about your "loss", but from the way it sounds I am sure you will get over it ...
I guess I may have to be the first, then!Quote:
- Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Best gear for listening to classical music... 35 seconds ago
- › New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS) 1 minute ago
- › JVC FX850 Trebs are REALLY fatiguing?? 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-P1 vs HiFi-M8 for travel rig 3 minutes ago
- › Review of the JVC HA-FXH30 by B9Scrambler 3 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Best format for ripping CD's 3 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2