So did anyone compare this to anything? If not here, maybe on diyaudio?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Poutine Objective2 Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones Under $200ish Last post on 9/14/12 at 2:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 12/22/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
If you are looking at the RHA-MA750, you already have done a bit of research about how they sound. So, I will get straight to my review. Sound Quality: Let me start off by saying that these...
Acknowledgment Thanks to @Tony-Hifi of HiFi headphones for making me review this desktop DAC/Amp as a favour. I love reviewing loaners, but it’s always sad to package and send them off...
Hi Head-Fi/Vibro Labs fans, I was the second stop on the Aria tour, and I've had a great week reviewing them. This post will contain some of my thoughts and impressions, and I'll be touching on...
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 38810/3/11 at 3:42pmpost #48 of 38810/3/11 at 6:30pmpost #49 of 38810/4/11 at 9:36ampost #50 of 38810/4/11 at 10:07ampost #51 of 38810/4/11 at 11:07am
If you need a lower constant voltage regardless of volume sure. There isn't anything horrible about using the ipod headphone out as a preamp in this case though. The O2 can handle it more than well enough.post #52 of 38810/4/11 at 1:54pm
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better. Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification? I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?post #53 of 38810/4/11 at 5:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Reticuli2
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better.
The ipod output impedance is roughly 30 ohms iirc.
Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification?
The ipod is performing some voltage amplification. Think of a DAC going to an IV stage or preamp, then to an amp.
I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?
The O2 would need a gain of 12 to reach the same amplification level, I really didn't want to mess with a gain the high. Let's say I get away from the ipod in the future and the next player does not have a line-out. Now I have to decrease the digital volume and dynamic range available to get it to work since most are ~1V. That is a bad trade-off in comparison IMO. I don't know whether the line-out into a gain of 12 would be better, but if it is I doubt it would be significant.
Sounds like something to ask NwAvGuy though :)
Replies in bold.post #54 of 3882/27/12 at 6:17pmpost #55 of 3883/7/12 at 7:06pmpost #56 of 3883/10/12 at 6:22pmpost #57 of 3883/11/12 at 9:04am
Please, be sure to let me (those who are curious) know how it mates with your D7!
Edited by SLCanhead - 3/11/12 at 9:06ampost #58 of 3883/11/12 at 4:58pmQuote:
I no longer have my D7. I have sold it away in exchange for an O2
The D7 is like a mini-replica of my desktop setup, very nice indeed. I hope that the O2 will work well with my desktop DAC on my custom iem to make the parting of my D7 more bearable. =)post #59 of 3883/11/12 at 5:52pm
Makes sense. Sorry to hear about your "loss", but from the way it sounds I am sure you will get over it ...
I guess I may have to be the first, then!Quote:
- Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 11 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 20 seconds ago
- › Chinese CIEM and UIEM manufacturers 1 minute ago
- › Which headphones have more bass? HD 598 vs QC25 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam London 2016 (August 13-14, 2016) 2 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Appreciation Thread – a New Start (please read... 3 minutes ago
- › Selling Sony MDR E888G 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...