So did anyone compare this to anything? If not here, maybe on diyaudio?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Poutine Objective2 Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones Under $200ish Last post on 9/14/12 at 2:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/10/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
I got the Sennheiser HD-598 based on all the existing rave reviews. It's amazingly comfortable. That's all the good I can say about it. I just hate the sound. Okay, I am no "audiophile". I am...
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 38610/3/11 at 3:42pmpost #48 of 38610/3/11 at 6:30pmpost #49 of 38610/4/11 at 9:36ampost #50 of 38610/4/11 at 10:07ampost #51 of 38610/4/11 at 11:07am
If you need a lower constant voltage regardless of volume sure. There isn't anything horrible about using the ipod headphone out as a preamp in this case though. The O2 can handle it more than well enough.post #52 of 38610/4/11 at 1:54pm
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better. Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification? I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?post #53 of 38610/4/11 at 5:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Reticuli2
Most headphone jacks I've measured tend to perform worse as line outs than the line out they are being fed, though they perform better as line outs than they do as headphone jacks. The only exception has been higher impedance headphone jacks that seem to perform about the same in either use. Not sure why electrically that would be the case. I would think, assuming the ipod has under 8 or 16ohms on the jack, its line out would perform better.
The ipod output impedance is roughly 30 ohms iirc.
Otherwise, isn't the O2 acting more like a low impedance buffer and current booster and it's the iPod that's doing all the voltage amplification?
The ipod is performing some voltage amplification. Think of a DAC going to an IV stage or preamp, then to an amp.
I know iPods distort after a certain voltage into headphone loads. I assume they wouldn't do that driving a line in, but still, the O2 probably does a better job. Since the iPod internally has a fixed line level feeding a headphone amp, I would just assume this line level in combination with the O2 will have higher performance. Maybe not?
The O2 would need a gain of 12 to reach the same amplification level, I really didn't want to mess with a gain the high. Let's say I get away from the ipod in the future and the next player does not have a line-out. Now I have to decrease the digital volume and dynamic range available to get it to work since most are ~1V. That is a bad trade-off in comparison IMO. I don't know whether the line-out into a gain of 12 would be better, but if it is I doubt it would be significant.
Sounds like something to ask NwAvGuy though :)
Replies in bold.post #54 of 3862/27/12 at 6:17pmpost #55 of 3863/7/12 at 7:06pmpost #56 of 3863/10/12 at 6:22pmpost #57 of 3863/11/12 at 9:04am
Please, be sure to let me (those who are curious) know how it mates with your D7!
Edited by SLCanhead - 3/11/12 at 9:06ampost #58 of 3863/11/12 at 4:58pmQuote:
I no longer have my D7. I have sold it away in exchange for an O2
The D7 is like a mini-replica of my desktop setup, very nice indeed. I hope that the O2 will work well with my desktop DAC on my custom iem to make the parting of my D7 more bearable. =)post #59 of 3863/11/12 at 5:52pm
Makes sense. Sorry to hear about your "loss", but from the way it sounds I am sure you will get over it ...
I guess I may have to be the first, then!Quote:
- Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 55 seconds ago
- › Question about amps for the Stax SR-009 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 5 minutes ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 5 minutes ago
- › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review 8 minutes ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 9 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 9 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)