Having an average or slightly smaller head, I've never really had a great seal with my ATH-W5000. Being that I like the wearing comfort of these cans and would hate to part with them, I keep trying to fiddle with their position to try and get a better seal, along with a bit more bass and isolation. But no, positioning doesn't help a lot for me.
So, the next step is replacement pads.
So, has anybody tried any thicker and bigger pads for W5000?
I'm namely looking for pads that:
- is cleraly thicker, when worn, giving a better seal
- have a larger circumference, so that the pads become even more CIRCUMaural than the stock W5000 pads (which for me rest partly on pinnae)
- fits w5000 with minimum of modding
Are there such beasts in existence?
Can anybody hazard an educated guess as to how the following pads would fit W5000 (i.e. big enough/too big, need a lot of modding, not thicker than original W5000 pads):
- Stax SR-007 mkII (look slightly thicker in photos)
- Sony MDR-XB1000 (big and plush)
- JMoney pads (for Denon, perhaps can be custom made for other phones?)
- Audeze LCD-2 leather pads (also meant for angled drivers and twisting cups, like on W5000)
Being on the European side of the big pond, ordering all of these just to try out becomes a very expensive trial.
So I'm trying to narrow down the options, before I embark on blind orders.
If anybody has experimented on any other thicker pads, please chime in.
Edited by halcyon - 9/4/11 at 1:05pm