Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Some OVERRATED High End Gear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some OVERRATED High End Gear. - Page 4

post #46 of 285

Stax is overrated by price. 

post #47 of 285

Find me something better than a $250 Lambda in the under $750 category that isn't a stat :)

 

I completely forgot about Ultrasone somehow.

post #48 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

Find me something better than a $250 Lambda in the under $750 category that isn't a stat :)


Better how? Subjectively, someone could prefer just about any dynamic to an electrostatic if they don't like electrostatics.

 

I'd say at the very least the top tier Stax are overrated for their price. These days it seems ridiculous to charge $5000 for a headphone when there are so many good $1000-1500 performers, even if you like the Stax better.

post #49 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Stax is overrated by price. 


I don't think that's true. The SR-507 is very competitive with the orthos for similar money, and the SRM-323S is really not expensive at all. Sure the 009 costs a lot, but then so did the R10 and the Orpheus. The best never comes cheap.

post #50 of 285


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Injury View Post


Better how? Subjectively, someone could prefer just about any dynamic to an electrostatic if they don't like electrostatics.

 

I'd say at the very least the top tier Stax are overrated for their price. These days it seems ridiculous to charge $5000 for a headphone when there are so many good $1000-1500 performers, even if you like the Stax better.


Subjectively somebody could also like the Apple ibuds more than the HD800, that doesn't make the ibud better.  

 

The only Stax that has ever cost $5000 is the new SR009 so I'm assuming you've heard it before.  What'd you think of the sound?  If you haven't heard it, I have a commonly linked to thread for people just like you.

post #51 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

Subjectively somebody could also like the Apple ibuds more than the HD800, that doesn't make the ibud better.  

 

The only Stax that has ever cost $5000 is the new SR009 so I'm assuming you've heard it before.  What'd you think of the sound?  If you haven't heard it, I have a commonly linked to thread for people just like you.


Then do you have any technical specs about that Stax to share? Objectively there's no question the HD800 is better than the iBuds, but I can't say which headphones are better than your Lambda without more info.

 

Nope, haven't heard it. I'm sure it sounds fantastic. Not $5000 fantastic.

post #52 of 285
High price is a way to garner respect. It may be crap but put an outragous price on it and tell the world it's the best, those exclusionist with deep pockets will support it. This is where the experience and skill of the member makes a difference. Someone with money buying out of status will be ignored. Those willling to spend for sonic value will guide those with less to spend but looking for value. Value isn't necessarally cheap, as several have mentioned.

By the way, the country of origin has no bearing on quality. Be it China, Mexico, India or US, Britan, German, Japan, labor is labor. The components and design will tell the tale. I mentioned A-gd earlier. Their top of the line gear has some pretty slick design and quality parts. You will pay for that value. They also provide a lot of compromised gear to provide for a cheaper buyer.
Edited by Happy Camper - 9/3/11 at 9:50am
post #53 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

B&W are definitely a bit pricey relative to their sound quality. You have to realise that speakers are essentially a piece of furniture which means the looks do come into the equation for a lot of buyers. I've got no qualms in admitting that the build quality/design of the CM5s were a significant factor in my decision. The sound quality is great but alone probably not worth the price I paid for it.
 



 


I totally agree. I'm in to upgrade my 685s to CM8s this year, and while I really enjoy the sound of both models, I understand that I am paying for the aesthetics in addition to the sound.

Possibly overrated I guess, but fine by me.
post #54 of 285

 

In this thread much has been made about companies using lower priced components, equipment and so forth and it automatically resulting in the said product being over-rated. I think this is a potentially flawed way to look at things, if the product was already priced to reflect the use of less expensive components in the first place. I think a bigger issue is this notion that expensive parts have to always be used to provide the best sound quality. I think an ideal is finding the best balance of price/performance, and perhaps a number of the Chinese manufacturers are doing that. I've heard/read many many good things about Little Dot and Darkvoice products, from people who own other often far more expensive similar equipment. That, if anything, shows you they are not necessarily overrated. 

 

Ultimately, if you can provide a similar sound quality, solid durability, build and power, for a more affordable price, you should be commended not criticised. Honestly, it's not always about the expense of the internal components, materials and so forth. Sometimes it's honestly just a good idea to simply trust your ears.

 

I mean, beside me I have a modded T50RP that in many ways out perform other much higher priced headphones, I have a cheap JDS cMoy that again, in certain ways, outperforms other much higher priced portables, then I have a higher priced hybrid tube portable amp that someone in this thread has falsely implied is a tube buffer on a $30 T amp, that out performs (power wise) and sounds better than every other portable amp I've used or tested. So as you can see, it's honestly a better idea to sometimes pay less heed to the logistics of it all and just go with what you hear.


Edited by Naim.F.C - 9/3/11 at 10:09am
post #55 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

By the way, the country of origin has no bearing on quality. Be it China, Mexico, India or US, Britan, German, Japan, labor is labor. The components and design will tell the tale. I mentioned A-gd earlier. Their top of the line gear has some pretty slick design and quality parts. You will pay for that value. They also provide a lot of compromised gear to provide for a cheaper buyer.


American components, Russian components....ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!

 

tongue.gif

post #56 of 285
Mills audio resistors are made in Huntington IN
post #57 of 285

Mundorf resistors and capacitors are made in Germany.

 

Many sought after NOS tubes were NOT made in China, Taiwan or Russia.


Edited by wuwhere - 9/3/11 at 10:34am
post #58 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Ultrasone.

I have yet to hear one of their products that I enjoy.

*ducks, runs*


Hahaha, I completely share this empirical statement.

post #59 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Stax is overrated by price. 



lt's true the top Stax aren't cheap, but l quess some will say they are worth it if they produce the sound quality they're looking for, 2 carat flawless diamonds also aren't cheap plus all you can do is look at them, but some are still prepared to pay the asking price which will be a lot more than a SR-009.

 

 

post #60 of 285

ESS9018

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Some OVERRATED High End Gear.