Are there frequency graphs available comparing the different bass settings (tuning port)? For example, Im curious if the lowest setting is more neutral than the higher settings.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Reserved Last post on 9/16/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help with IEM's Last post on 8/8/14 at 4:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in ear headphones for under 300$? (bass) Last post on 8/23/12 at 12:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Background: I own Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio X3II. I love HD600 because it is comfortable and also works well for my classical music and vocal music. But it doesn't play well with any pop music...
PETEREK cables Balanced cable for Sony EX series. Standard custom for Sony EX series Standard 2 pin cable for LEAR,ASG,SHURE ETC. Standard MMCX...
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 367
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I guess you are new to this post?....Did you read one page ago?....If not, see post #5485....Ted's Cables are very well reviewed.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is a post from a beginner, who had to find out the difference between headphones and earphones by himself, as there was no useful comparison or review available on the net.
I was always on low budget. But quality audio got me from my first ear-canal earphones experience, the Sony MDR-E51, like 15 years ago . Lol. :)
Through the IE7, I got to IE80, with upgrade cable, and custom moulds. I love how they sound. However I was always wondering, how good headphones sound compared to them.
So as I had the financial resources, I bought my Sennheiser HD600, with a nice headphone amp. (I already owned a nice DAC with my IE80.)
Here is my answer from my own experience, for the question of IEM or headphone issue.
In a nutshell: headphones.
In more details:
- much more balanced sound.
- much more clarity, clearness
- wider soundstage, mids and highs are truly amazing after IEM (opened, full, detailed)
- while bass is present and full and airy, it is not as punchy as on the IEM
- only the punchier bass. nothing else.
- all the pro's of the headphones
Headphones give you a much more enjoyable listening experience.
You almost feel, you are in a room, listening to live music. Not like the "music is played in your head" kind of experience.
I still miss that brain shivering bass from the IEMs, but I just can not take the headphones off my head after 3-4 hours of listening.
It is so much better.
That to me implies one is superior to the other. Not so for me personally. I prefer the analogy apples and oranges. Both have strengths in different situations and both give a listening experience that are equally enjoyable for different reasons.IMHO.
Comparing iems to headphones is like sort of like comparing a bicycle to a car. Both have the same function but utilize different materials/housing/parts. The IE80 has a lot of strengths as do the hd600. HD600 is more or less a pleasing headphone. It isn't really great at one thing, but good at a lot of things. I do have both and they both receive ample ear time.
I would rather comparing a motorcycle to car,rather than a bicycle :-)
That is the strenght of many Sennheiser top products that they are god on a lot of things and so worth their Price.One of the big diiferences here apart from their Looks is the fact you don´t Need an amp for the IE80, plug into your iPhone and enjoy the wonderfull Sound, the HD600 Needs amping to get the best out of it, apart from that, it is a classic.
Of push bikes, pennyfarthings, horseless carriages and the like. I don’t think comparing the two Senn products is all that wrong.
Disclaimer, I know bugger all about headphone design or audio electronics beyond the odd bits and pieces I have read in Head-Fi plus product blurbs. As far as I know, Senn IE80 uses one dynamic driver versus most other IEMs which I think use multiple balanced drivers. And well, I can only speak for Senn HD 800 not 600 but I suspect they are similar in construction and use, I assume, one driver. To me the SQ of both the Senn IEM and Headphone is more similar compared with the difference between the Senn HD800 and other IEMs that use multiple balanced drivers. I am theorizing that this is because one “tuning” per ear piece, be it Phone or Bud is the reason for this versus various multiple different tunings for the various balanced drivers. This may be why I like the Senn IE80 for daily listening. I do use the HD800 when I first purchase a CD to get a full flavour of all the detail, but the cumbersome can on a head and recharging headphone amps sees me using the most comfortable IEMS to my mind IE80s. Sometimes I use IEMs with more balanced drivers that do give more detail etc but I still find the IE80 most pleasing, ie natural like the sound I would hear in a concert hall. Maybe I am wrong in my assumptions about one versus multiples tunings being the reason. If so some head-fier will flame me and hopefully fill in the correct details about phone constructions.
- Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Earbuds Round-Up 7 seconds ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 16 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 40 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio - PHANTOM AIR - The worlds FIRST tuneable truly... 3 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 3 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...