- 893 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: NJ/NYC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Reserved Last post on 9/16/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help with IEM's Last post on 8/8/14 at 4:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in ear headphones for under 300$? (bass) Last post on 8/23/12 at 12:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 364post #5446 of 74855/13/14 at 10:25amIe80>ie800 for bass presence.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5447 of 74855/13/14 at 10:29am
I am not sure in Europe both come at the same Price 299 Euro wihich is more than 400 Dollar, so you can hardly say they the Momentum is more a Commercial product. I think with the luxoury finsih of the Momentum, the targetted Group is the real HiFi fan and not the mass consumer. For the broad consumermarket Sennheiser have lots of other products, but the IE80 is for sure one of the very best in ears no matter the Price, a future legend.post #5448 of 74855/13/14 at 10:38am
The bass on the IE80 you can fine tune with the Little screw,by me the screw is turned half, and with prog-avant rock, this is just great without offering mids, listening to Van Der Graaf Generator`s "Real Time" Peter Hammill´s voice sounded clear and emotional in a way I did not hear it with other IEM´s.post #5449 of 74855/13/14 at 10:43amQuote:Originally Posted by willyvlyminck
I am not sure in Europe both come at the same Price 299 Euro wihich is more than 400 Dollar, so you can hardly say they the Momentum is more a Commercial product. I think with the luxoury finsih of the Momentum, the targetted Group is the real HiFi fan and not the mass consumer. For the broad consumermarket Sennheiser have lots of other products, but the IE80 is for sure one of the very best in ears no matter the Price, a future legend.
IE800 is 716,90 € from Finnish retailers, what are you smoking? Because I want the same stuff that makes IE800 299€.post #5450 of 74855/13/14 at 10:51am
Syvere, it also depends on which Music and Quality of your device, as the IE800 let you hear everything,this also means that lower Quality recordings will Sound just bad, and you could think you did buy the wrong IEM´s, for this Kind of IEM´s you Need Hi-res and other audiophile recordings on an audiophile Player like for example the AK100 from Astel & Kern.
I listen mainly with my Apple iPhone 5s and the IE80. I also have a Beyerdynamic A200 p DAC / Amp,which give some improvement on an already exellent set-up. I think the IE800 could come to his potential with the help of such amp, only on the iPhone, I don´t think the Sound will improve much from the IE80, not the mention the difference in Price. In Germany the IE800 cost 700 Euro, and that is way to much.Within 2 0r 3 years fromn the now the Price will go down, and than I might think of buying a set, but not at the current Price.post #5451 of 74855/13/14 at 10:58ampost #5452 of 74855/13/14 at 11:15amQuote:In Germany the IE800 cost 700 Euro
No wonder you usually capitalize the nouns, willyvlyminck! I used to be unable to pronounce the 'sh' sound correctly when I got back from Germany. Got my IE80s there in a good deal. ;)Quote:I am not sure in Europe both come at the same Price 299 Euro wihich is more than 400 Dollar, so you can hardly say they the Momentum is more a Commercial product. I think with the luxoury finsih of the Momentum, the targetted Group is the real HiFi fan and not the mass consumer. For the broad consumermarket Sennheiser have lots of other products, but the IE80 is for sure one of the very best in ears no matter the Price, a future legend.
I certainly agree that Momentum is not for the mass consumer in the sense that it's not HD201. My point was that Momentum was designed for the higher-tier consumer market, those rich but ignorant people who used to buy Beats. It's a good thing that we have Momentum as a 'luxury' headphone that actually sounds good. But I also think that in order for the sound to be appealing to untrained ears, Sennheiser probably tuned the Momentum deliberately, not emphasizing detail retrieval, or bass texture, neutrality etc, rather it was a smooth musical tone. In this sense I feel IE80s sound more 'hifi-ish' for me. Of course I do appreciate the musical tuning when I'm doing casual listening.post #5453 of 74855/13/14 at 11:21am
I have the latest iPod Classic and iPhone 5. I also have Cambridge DacMagic Plus at home.
If the IE800's need amping I also have FiiO E7 and Nuforce Mobile Music Pump.
I know the IE800's are over 700 euros normally but I got them for a really good price.
For clarification I want more mid presence than bass. I regard Hifiman RE0 as the best IEM I have heard so far.
For full size headphones I think the Momentum's have a very good balance if not a bit recessed mids.post #5454 of 74855/13/14 at 11:21am
Me too, the IE80 are a bargain at Amazon considering their Quality, Price now is 189 Euro and the Momentum Comes at 209 Euro, so I might go for this one as well, another candidate is the Beyerdynamic T51 as far as on ears go.post #5455 of 74855/13/14 at 1:47pmpost #5456 of 74855/15/14 at 9:25amJust in case anybody is in the market, pretty nice price on the Senn IE80's at Amazon right now ($334): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005N8W27I?pc_redir=1399992736&robot_redir=1
Fulfilled by Amazon, so should be legit.
B&H price matching:
B&H is an authorized retailer...post #5457 of 74855/15/14 at 5:16pmpost #5458 of 74855/15/14 at 5:52pmQuote:
Which is 'wierd' since they are actually made in China at Sennheiser's factory. Kinda explains why there are sooooo many fakes and bootlegs that all come from you know where...
EDIT: I guess the smart Chinese IE80 buyers are so paranoid of getting homey made fakes that they think buying German is the *only* way to get the real thing....sad but true...and funny.post #5459 of 74855/16/14 at 3:21am
the thing you said,i have to say it's quite out of time.
nowadays,even there are many fakes in both internet and nomal headphone shops.
and in this case,ie80 donot have many fakes on the internet, if you paid a suitable price to buy a item in china, you could hardly bought a fakes. expect beats.in the overline bridge. i could use 100dollars buying dozen of it- - donot laugh,it's true.
in some webs,such as amazon.cn. jingdong,tianmao.
you wont buy any fakes from there.
and also, if you buy fakes from profitter. you can phone to police to deal with such stupit thing.
the last thin is, i donot know how do you think that 60dollars is mach or not , but for nomal chinese, it's a considerable fortunepost #5460 of 74855/16/14 at 4:46am
Technically this is not the right thread as I don't even have IE80's but I talked about this before here so I'll post some impressions on IE800.
I decided to take the risk and open the IE800's. Comparing them to my Momentum's it's not even funny how bad the Momentum sounds after listening to IE800.
I always thought the Momentum was an excellent headphone and the first time I listened to the IE800 I thought they were nothing special. However after listening to them a while and then switching back to Momentum it was like someone put a few layers of thick lead between the speaker and my ear. Details were missing, mids were severely recessed, bass was muddy, highs were so rolled off I thought they weren't at all.
It's funny really. I didn't think the IE800 was good UNTIL I switched back to my other headphones.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Chicago area Headphone Meet - January 28th 2017 "ChiUniFi" 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 1 minute ago
- › FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240... 1 minute ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 2 minutes ago
- › Do you guys think I need a DAC with my Valhalla 2? 2 minutes ago
- › Help! Advice needed 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 3 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear