Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 336

post #5026 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

 

You should put the iBasso DX-50 on your short list, too.  Great reviews, low price.

 

Ref:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/ibasso-dx50-thread-new-4-firmware-update-v1-2-2

 



Thanks, this looks really nice too, I guess I'll have to take the plunge on one of them and see how it works out.

The DX50 does sound more promising as it has a neutral signature, which I'm thinking would better suit the IE80 rather than the warm sounding X3?
post #5027 of 5602
Just an update on my journey with the IE80... I have found that iPod Video 5th generation pairs really well with the IE80!

I have a 30GB model which was connected to my car Head unit, grabbed it over the weekend and finding that it's giving a brighter more articulate sound compared to the Clip Plus (with Rockbox). Also has a wider and more open sound.

I'm really happy, this is a free 'upgrade' for me in a way. To make it better I will shortly be replacing the battery with a higher capacity one and upgrading to a 64GB CF.

I've also ordered a Fiio line out cable (L9) to try with a Fiio E06 amp. If any good I may look into getting a better amp later.

Any suggestions for an amp that would pair well with the iPod and IE80s?
post #5028 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30pilot View Post

Just an update on my journey with the IE80... I have found that iPod Video 5th generation pairs really well with the IE80!

I have a 30GB model which was connected to my car Head unit, grabbed it over the weekend and finding that it's giving a brighter more articulate sound compared to the Clip Plus (with Rockbox). Also has a wider and more open sound.

I'm really happy, this is a free 'upgrade' for me in a way. To make it better I will shortly be replacing the battery with a higher capacity one and upgrading to a 64GB CF.

I've also ordered a Fiio line out cable (L9) to try with a Fiio E06 amp. If any good I may look into getting a better amp later.

Any suggestions for an amp that would pair well with the iPod and IE80s?
Yes.. I have the alo continental v3 which is really neutral so it really pairs well with the ie80 imo.. It doesn't add anything to it and makes them just shine.. I also have the cheaper filo e11, I believe it is and it has a v shape sound to it and makes it sound way to warm to a already warm iem.. Hope that helps.. Plus I also have the 5.5 video ipod and I need a new battery as it only last about 2 hours if I'm lucky.. It's not expensive to replace the battery is it?
post #5029 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post



Yes.. I have the alo continental v3 which is really neutral so it really pairs well with the ie80 imo.. It doesn't add anything to it and makes them just shine.. I also have the cheaper filo e11, I believe it is and it has a v shape sound to it and makes it sound way to warm to a already warm iem.. Hope that helps.. Plus I also have the 5.5 video ipod and I need a new battery as it only last about 2 hours if I'm lucky.. It's not expensive to replace the battery is it?

 



Thanks,

The battery was very cheap from eBay, £5 for a 580mAh one. I've seen some videos on how to do it and it seems pretty simple.

I'll create a thread in the DIY section with pictures to help others when I get round to doing it.
post #5030 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30pilot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post



Yes.. I have the alo continental v3 which is really neutral so it really pairs well with the ie80 imo.. It doesn't add anything to it and makes them just shine.. I also have the cheaper filo e11, I believe it is and it has a v shape sound to it and makes it sound way to warm to a already warm iem.. Hope that helps.. Plus I also have the 5.5 video ipod and I need a new battery as it only last about 2 hours if I'm lucky.. It's not expensive to replace the battery is it?

 



Thanks,

The battery was very cheap from eBay, £5 for a 580mAh one. I've seen some videos on how to do it and it seems pretty simple.

I'll create a thread in the DIY section with pictures to help others when I get round to doing it.
Ya that is cheap sweet.. And that would be awesome if you could post that when you have the time.. Thanks so much :-)
post #5031 of 5602

 

I have just get my ACS custom sleeves on my IE80.

I own these IEMs for a year, upgraded from IE7. I have silver upgrade cable, and tape mod. 
None of the factory tips could give me perfect isolation, (interesting, with IE7 I could get it) so I used Comply foam tips for a while. I pretty much liked them, but one pair did not last longer than 2 weeks, and in this case it is a bit expensive...

So I started to think, what the best option would be... Sell my IE80, and buy SE535? Different style with its triple drive... I read a lot of comparative reviews... SE535 is more analytic, requires more power to drive, more unforgivable with poor quality source or record... IE80 is more like live music on its own... Not that analytic, but more like reality... With still nice clarity, and detail, not to mention the wide soundstage, which I like...

 

I decided, my budget shouldnt really be over 300 pounds. (I wish I could try and have IE800, or some custom IEM around 1000 pounds, but no budget for that yet.)
So in my price range basically the two options were the two mentioned IEMs.

Cut a long story short, I decided to invest into custom sleeves for IE80, instead of buying SE535.

 

My experience with custom sleeves:
Compared to comply tips, isolation improved about 20-30%. Also it sounds much clearer, even more detailed. I had to reduce my bass settings on my source. (My bass knob on the IE80 is set to 20-30%.)
 Sounds more opened, than with comply...
Not to mention the easier put in, take out process, and the fact, I dont have to buy comply tips ever again, ACS silicon lasts for longer...
So I think, it worthed the price. For 348 pounds (190 IE80, 50 silver cable, 108 custom sleeves, and tape mod) I have a decent sounding IEM.
Of course, you can get better sounding. But I think, only for much more money...

Another thing, the source:
IE80 can be driven quite easily. I have Cowon C2 (same sound quality than J3) this is enough for me.
I think, no mobile phone can give the same quality. (incliding iphones, and htc, samsung flagships).
So my question is, does it worth to invest into a better source than C2 in your opinion?


Edited by bestula - 11/26/13 at 3:50pm
post #5032 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestula View Post

<br />



 



I have just get my ACS custom sleeves on my IE80.



I own these IEMs for a year, upgraded from IE7. I have silver upgrade cable, and tape mod. 

None of the factory tips could give me perfect isolation, (interesting, with IE7 I could get it) so I used Comply foam tips for a while. I pretty much liked them, but one pair did not last longer than 2 weeks, and in this case it is a bit expensive...



So I started to think, what the best option would be... Sell my IE80, and buy SE535? Different style with its triple drive... I read a lot of comparative reviews... SE535 is more analytic, requires more power to drive, more unforgivable with poor quality source or record... IE80 is more like live music on its own... Not that analytic, but more like reality... With still nice clarity, and detail, not to mention the wide soundstage, which I like...



 



I decided, my budget shouldnt really be over 300 pounds. (I wish I could try and have IE800, or some custom IEM around 1000 pounds, but no budget for that yet.)

So in my price range basically the two options were the two mentioned IEMs.



Cut a long story short, I decided to invest into custom sleeves for IE80, instead of buying SE535.



 



My experience with custom sleeves:

Compared to comply tips, isolation improved about 20-30%. Also it sounds much clearer, even more detailed. I had to reduce my bass settings on my source. (My bass knob on the IE80 is set to 20-30%.)

 Sounds more opened, than with comply...

Not to mention the easier put in, take out process, and the fact, I dont have to buy comply tips ever again, ACS silicon lasts for longer...

So I think, it worthed the price. For 348 pounds (190 IE80, 50 silver cable, 108 custom sleeves, and tape mod) I have a decent sounding IEM.

Of course, you can get better sounding. But I think, only for much more money...



Another thing, the source:

IE80 can be driven quite easily. I have Cowon C2 (same sound quality than J3) this is enough for me.

I think, no mobile phone can give the same quality. (incliding iphones, and htc, samsung flagships).

So my question is, does it worth to invest into a better source than C2 in your opinion?


 



Yes try studio v or rocoo ba it will show you the true potential of the ie80.
Studio v+silver cable+ie80+tape mod and right now im done searching my everyday going out iem.
If you want cheaper alternative then i recommend ipod video 5g with rockbox
post #5033 of 5602
I am looking for some replacement tips for my sennheiser ie80 that not muffle the sound and isolate well and also comfortable in the ear. I have looked on the comply but they sre not recommed for the ie80 and i have looked on the auvio but i cannot find them here in denmark or in europe but ad i have readed they are copy of the sony hybrid. Right now i am using the medium silicone tips that comes with the ie80 and because they are comfortable but they fall of often and my ear hurts after like 30 minutes. Which silicone tips do you recommed that not muffle the sound and keep the bass like the standard?
post #5034 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adel View Post

I am looking for some replacement tips for my sennheiser ie80 that not muffle the sound and isolate well and also comfortable in the ear.

 

You in the US? If so, try AUVIO's from Radio Shack. Seriously excellent tips:

 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18352026

 

post #5035 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adel View Post

i have looked on the auvio but i cannot find them here in denmark or in europe

:rolleyes:

post #5036 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

You in the US? If so, try AUVIO's from Radio Shack. Seriously excellent tips:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18352026
I am not based in the US but in Denmark. I have checked several seller in the US but no one ships to denmark. I am now waiting for radioshack to respond if they do but i dont think so.

post #5037 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adel View Post

Is there anywhere in Canada to get those tips? I looked on eBay. Ca but couldn't find them?.
post #5038 of 5602

you cannot get the auvio tips in europe because Radioshack and the other sellers in the US dont send it to europe i think. They could not send it to Denmark. so i dont know what tips i should get because the comply and sony hybrid does muffle the sound.

post #5039 of 5602
I must be the only one who likes the original tips lol I don't mind the silicone ones.. I know they don't isolate as well as Maybe some other tips out there.. But. I really don't think sennheiser designed these earphones to be fully isolating.. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking that they know what they are doing by designing these earphones.. When using other tips that do isolate better. Do you loose anything in the sound like Sound stage?
post #5040 of 5602
I got on very well with the supplied silicone tips. I went for custom tips and was pleased with the result though. I have read other people say about a lighter seal. You could be right. I would have thought that Sennheiser would have mentioned it in the literature though.
Edited by krismusic - 12/2/13 at 7:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread