Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 332

post #4966 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywipe View Post

Hi guys!

I currently own the Westone Um3x and i love/hate this iem. For sure it's a top tier, a lot of detail in the sound. Basicly the tuning of this iem is not very good for mainstream music, bass a lot of mids and treble really suffer.

I was thinking about the ie80 and i have some questions for you:

I don't like distant sound presentation, let's say like the hd 650. I like a lot the Amperior and the Px 100 ii . Which side is the ie80?
I really hope they have a fun engaging sound.

Thanks
I

They are more like the hd650. I dont have px100 so i cant give comparison but i have um3x and the ie80 have larger soundstage but um3x have better seperation(um3x have the best seperation for iem in the same price range in my opinion).  With tape mod it will bring the seperation closer to you but still not as close as um3x. They are both amazing iem

post #4967 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

No, they do not sound the same.....and it's not attributable to variation in cables.

I never said they did. In fact, if you read my previous post, you'd see that I think they're quite different. What then do you think is responsible for this slight variation in sound? I personally do not expect to hear any perceptible differences between the IE80 and IE8 cables, but I am perhaps not as adamantly opposed to that notion as you seem to be. 

post #4968 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYBOY View Post
 

I never said they did. In fact, if you read my previous post, you'd see that I think they're quite different. What then do you think is responsible for this slight variation in sound? I personally do not expect to hear any perceptible differences between the IE80 and IE8 cables, but I am perhaps not as adamantly opposed to that notion as you seem to be. 

 

Ok, I get your point. I personally have never compared the 'cable sound' between the IE8 & IE80 cables, but I have owned both of them at the same time and I definitely heard a difference between them. FWIW I was told by a Sennheiser tech that they "should" sound the same, so that didn't help with the 'why'?

 

Maybe the drivers are different because the IE80 driver is newer (different) or made by a different supplier, etc. I have never taken either one apart to compare the insides. Another possibility is that the Stainless Steel plate on the IE80 affects the SQ.

 

So, to me, the bottom line was I liked the sound of the IE80 (more than the IE8) because it had tighter bass and better highs.

post #4969 of 5567

...I see. I have just always been curious as to the reasons they sound a tad different, but with quite a number of variables, am not sure there's a definitive answer. My hunch has always been that since they sound almost identical in signature to me, Sennheiser probably used the same drivers, but tuned it to have a bit more sub bass, and treble. The key observation though is that we ended up preferring one over the other. I preferred the IE8 whilst you liked the IE80 more. I think this is  part of what makes this hobby interesting, and also a manifestation of just how subjective it can be.

post #4970 of 5567
Hello guys i have bought the sennheiser ie80 for like two weeks know and i am quite happy with them they still do need burn in. Beside that before i started to listen to them i tried all the ear tips that come with the ie80 just to be sure to get a good fit and the medium size fits great however the comfort and isolation is not good. I want to replace them to some other ear tips in the near future and i have looked at the comply t-500 and they have got great reviews on both isolation and comfort but i have also readed that some people experience that the sound gets muffled. What is your opinion/experiences with thoose type of ear tips and suggestions is appreciated too.
post #4971 of 5567

For me the medium sillicone eartips fit good but as you already experienced isolation is not so good. My preference goes to the Sennheiser foams (Large), better isolation and because they're short they don't muffle the sound.

post #4972 of 5567

Some people enjoys using Sony Hybrids on IE80. I don't really like it, but I have so many so I just use it. 

post #4973 of 5567
I have tried all the standard tips that comes eith the sennehiser ie80 and the medium silicone tips fits best and also give a punchy bass. Well i am a basshead but i am not on that leel where i will comprimise the soundstage, clarity and treble for some extra bass when the ie80 is bassy already. I am not a audiophile so take my discription on how i like the sound to be with a grain of salt. I do listen to rap, hip hop and techno and sometimes pop offcourse but the three first genres is what my main preference for music genres. I have searched this thread because you have got a new member to the ie80 crew for tips that have been suggested for them and i have maked an list. Here is the list: comply t-500, sony hybrids, jvc tips, auvio, and monster super tips. I like that the tips is foam and there is difference in price so what do you recommed me to buy? I do like deep bass but not too deep i also want to hear what is have been singing you know lyrics/vocals. I have the bass setting on middle an some songs have too much bass to hear the vocals i have tried to ser it down but the sound gets boring because thoose types of music genres requires bass to be enjoyable (own opinion). Keep in mind i like in europe
Edited by Adel - 11/3/13 at 12:27pm
post #4974 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adel View Post

I have tried all the standard tips that comes eith the sennehiser ie80 and the medium foam tips fits best and also give a punchy bass. Well i am a basshead but i am not on that leel where i will comprimise the soundstage, clarity and treble for some extra bass when the ie80 is bassy already. I am not a audiophile so take my discription on how i like the sound to be with a grain of salt. I do listen to rap, hip hop and techno and sometimes pop offcourse but the three first genres is what my main preference for music genres. I have searched this thread because you have got a new member to the ie80 crew for tips that have been suggested for them and i have maked an list. Here is the list: comply t-500, sony hybrids, jvc tips, auvio, and monster super tips. I like that the tips is foam and there is difference in price so what do you recommed me to buy? I do like deep bass but not too deep i also want to hear what is have been singing you know lyrics/vocals. I have the bass setting on middle an some songs have too much bass to hear the vocals i have tried to ser it down but the sound gets boring because thoose types of music genres requires bass to be enjoyable (own opinion). Keep in mind i like in europe

 

try this mod on the tips http://www.head-fi.org/t/569527/sennheiser-ie80s-impressions-thread/4740 . this mod gives better seal, more isolation,deeper bass,more detail and more intimate sound IMO . i could not find the perfect tips that fits me thats why i use this mod and it works wonder. check out the tape mods too if you want different sound sig

post #4975 of 5567
Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried it with the standard tips that comes with the ie80 but it didnt work. Any suggestions on what to buy? I was thinking about the comply t-500 or the monster super tips what do you guys think?
Edited by Adel - 11/3/13 at 12:30pm
post #4976 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adel View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried it with the standard tips that comes with the ie80 but it didnt work. Any suggestions on what to buy? I was thinking about the comply t-500 or the monster super tips what do you guys think?
if it is possible to get custom tips done where you live I cannot recommend them highly enough.
post #4977 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

if it is possible to get custom tips done where you live I cannot recommend them highly enough.
. I am a student so i am on a budget
post #4978 of 5567
Which tips should i buy from the list i have wrote?
post #4979 of 5567
I have read and read about how people can't get a good seal with these with the tips provided ..everyone asks ..what tips insulate the best and so on...my opinion would be that sennheiser are not dumb and probably do a lot of research on these thing... In my opinion..they made these things not to fully insulate really well on purpose..to me..even though the tips provided do not insulate really well like other iems I own..but they still sound great. ..I've tried other tips too and to me the tips provided sound the best..again this is only my opinion . Happy listening..:-)
post #4980 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

I have read and read about how people can't get a good seal with these with the tips provided ..everyone asks ..what tips insulate the best and so on...my opinion would be that sennheiser are not dumb and probably do a lot of research on these thing... In my opinion..they made these things not to fully insulate really well on purpose..to me..even though the tips provided do not insulate really well like other iems I own..but they still sound great. ..I've tried other tips too and to me the tips provided sound the best..again this is only my opinion . Happy listening..:-)

I personally think you're on to something. I've also made likewise suppositions in the past that these IEMs were designed for shallow insertion. If a seal is achieved in the conventional understanding of a seal, the bass becomes too dominant in my opinion. They need a bit of air to breathe, maintain their clarity, and produce an airy sound. I'd rather sacrifice isolation, and get a 'better' sound through a less than ideal seal with these IEMs (IE8/IE80), but that's just me. I do concede from my own experience that these IEMs don't isolate as well as those I have tried from Westone, Shure, Etymotic etc. so that contention is quite reasonable. However, I say that, with the qualification that us headfiers are a fastidious bunch, for good reason, I suppose.  I let some of my 'normal' friends try these IEMs and they use the installed tips without complaint , and the impression I got was that the IEM isolated far better than anything they were used to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread