Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 281

post #4201 of 5592
Yes. You are correct!
post #4202 of 5592

Thanks, that was the reply I wanted to hear :)

post #4203 of 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider View Post

Thanks, that was the reply I wanted to hear :)

 

 

 

 Sounds like somebody pulled the trigger... wink_face.gif

post #4204 of 5592

I did indeed... but on some used IE8's for now. If I like them, I may go for new IE80s. Just depends how much I like the sound sig. :)

post #4205 of 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider View Post

I did indeed... but on some used IE8's for now. If I like them, I may go for new IE80s. Just depends how much I like the sound sig. :)

Do the tape mode.. if u like it?   then  u need a ie80.   :)

post #4206 of 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylaw View Post

Do the tape mode.. if u like it?   then  u need a ie80.   :)

If you like the IE8, then you need the IE80!

post #4207 of 5592

hopefully i will be getting these next week 

post #4208 of 5592

haha, I will post with my impressions when I get them. I know that if I like the sound sig, I wont be able to help myself from getting the IE80's.

post #4209 of 5592

Hey guys!

I have been using my IE80 for almost a month and a half now. I have been using an FXD80 before purchasing the IE80. So far, the upgrade seems "underwhelming". AS the only difference i pick up is that the IE80 has better soundstage, music separation and bass. (or this enough justification for the price difference?) The clarity upgrade, which i was hoping, for wasn't there. Or did I pick up the wrong IEMs? the clarity for both seems to be on "par". I also notice the IE80 to be MUDDY or AIRY (don't know how to describe it properly)? I am no audiophile and I have picked up this hobby very recently, so please be easy on me >.< .

Is there anyone here that feels the same way as I do?

 

** Actually ordered a $250 silver/gold cable from PlusSound for the ie80's to improve the SQ. Hope i don't get burned with this decision.

Been using and Iphone4 as a source component ( bad i know >.<), and been listening to 80's soul/r&b (MJ and EWF, Stevie Wonder,..)

Could my source comp. and file format be the cause of all this? Also, is there a way to improve its clarity? (music is MUCH clearer in my dad's bose home system... Unfair comparison, but still...)

post #4210 of 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtuth View Post

Hey guys!

I have been using my IE80 for almost a month and a half now. I have been using an FXD80 before purchasing the IE80. So far, the upgrade seems "underwhelming". AS the only difference i pick up is that the IE80 has better soundstage, music separation and bass. (or this enough justification for the price difference?) The clarity upgrade, which i was hoping, for wasn't there. Or did I pick up the wrong IEMs? the clarity for both seems to be on "par". I also notice the IE80 to be MUDDY or AIRY (don't know how to describe it properly)? I am no audiophile and I have picked up this hobby very recently, so please be easy on me >.< .

Is there anyone here that feels the same way as I do?

 

** Actually ordered a $250 silver/gold cable from PlusSound for the ie80's to improve the SQ. Hope i don't get burned with this decision.

Been using and Iphone4 as a source component ( bad i know >.<), and been listening to 80's soul/r&b (MJ and EWF, Stevie Wonder,..)

Could my source comp. and file format be the cause of all this? Also, is there a way to improve its clarity? (music is MUCH clearer in my dad's bose home system... Unfair comparison, but still...)

 

Being honest, spending $250 on a cable would have been the last thing I would have done to improve sound had I bought headphones that underwhelm me. Imo I would have gone for a better source/amp with that money, not that the iPhone is bad, it's pretty good.

 

What kind of files are you using?

post #4211 of 5592

Apple Lossless. 

Errr... now that i think about it. It was a compulsive purchase >.<. Do the IE80s need amping? I mean they are pretty loud at low levels. As far as i know, amps just increase sound signals = loudness and power high impedance  phones/speakers. Yeah i don't have a good grasps how amps work (and why my father would buy 2000$ amps... I mean that's equivalent to a home system!). Been thinking of a source comp. upgrade, but with my dwindling funds and schooling, I'll probably consider buying one, once I receive my tax return :D.

 

**Thnx for replying btw

post #4212 of 5592

Well actually they don't really need amping. The IE80 is really sensitive, it can get loud off anything. I found that they sounded nearly identical off my ipod as they did with my E17, but source files are definitely important but you seem to have that covered.

 

Dunno, maybe their sound sig isn't your cup of tea.

post #4213 of 5592

My experience is that amping does make a difference. I use an E7/E9 combo off my PC and when I go back to my Sansa View it doesn't sound as good.

 

I've also discovered that the tips you use with the IE80 are vital. Tips like Complys, while providing a more secure and isolating fit, tend to muffle the sound and therefore affect clarity quite significantly. The best tips for sound for me at the moment (I'm still investigating) are the JVC gels. From the first moment I used them I noticed the difference. I've also emplyed the tape mod. One day I'll be brave enough to remove the tape to see if this is just my brain or it actually makes a difference.
 

post #4214 of 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtuth View Post

Hey guys!

I have been using my IE80 for almost a month and a half now. I have been using an FXD80 before purchasing the IE80. So far, the upgrade seems "underwhelming". AS the only difference i pick up is that the IE80 has better soundstage, music separation and bass. (or this enough justification for the price difference?) The clarity upgrade, which i was hoping, for wasn't there. Or did I pick up the wrong IEMs? the clarity for both seems to be on "par". I also notice the IE80 to be MUDDY or AIRY (don't know how to describe it properly)? I am no audiophile and I have picked up this hobby very recently, so please be easy on me >.< .

Is there anyone here that feels the same way as I do?

 

** Actually ordered a $250 silver/gold cable from PlusSound for the ie80's to improve the SQ. Hope i don't get burned with this decision.

Been using and Iphone4 as a source component ( bad i know >.<), and been listening to 80's soul/r&b (MJ and EWF, Stevie Wonder,..)

Could my source comp. and file format be the cause of all this? Also, is there a way to improve its clarity? (music is MUCH clearer in my dad's bose home system... Unfair comparison, but still...)

Tape mod and JVC/custom tips. The sound is much improved. I'll admit I prefer the fit of the sony hybrids(new type) over the more open sound of the JVC tips so I use hybrids with a treble boost of +3db.

post #4215 of 5592

Hi guys thank you for your replies and suggestions

 

u(^ - ^)u

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

Tape mod and JVC/custom tips. The sound is much improved. I'll admit I prefer the fit of the sony hybrids(new type) over the more open sound of the JVC tips so I use hybrids with a treble boost of +3db.

Could you further elaborate the "improvements" that you have gained with the mod.

I just recently applied the tape mod and so far, I have mixed feelings about it.

The Airiness that i was complaining about has disappeared, however, the bass died... (T _ T) i guess i have been using my FXD80 WAAAAY too long.

Also I feel that the soundstage shrank and the instrument separation (by small amount) got worse with the absence of the airiness [ someone correct me on this ( >.< )]. The vocals (midrange) has been more FORWARD. I guess the trebles remained the same (haven't really been paying close attention to it, due to the punchy bass).

 

And in regards to the eartips, I have been using the jvc gel tips that came with my FXD80. The distortion that i experience with COMPLYs went away, which is a plus. However the seal loosens too easily [ a simple smile loosens the IEMs (you know how it goes when listening to your tunes right? ;) )]

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread