Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 267

post #3991 of 5372

I actually brought my IE80 to the office today. I am not used to its sound sig after having been using the EX1000 for a long time. The IE80 just sounds dark, hollow and lifeless in comparison.


Edited by DMinor - 1/9/13 at 4:03pm
post #3992 of 5372
Problem with the ipods is they lack any real instrument separation skills, they sound smeared. Especially next to something like Colorfly C3. I want to buy an ipod classic there's one I'm eyeing of now because they amp fairly well from the line out and the details decent, but just that smeared sensation and lack of separation stops me.

If you want to make yoUR EX1000 sing consider a Colorfly C3.
post #3993 of 5372

Funny how we all hear things differently :). But I do feel the mid bass is definitely overpowering on them and after the mod/silver cable I enjoyed them even more than my MDR-7550s which I much prefer to the treble-spiked EX1000. I also found using different tips on the MDR-7550s to improve them further so they don't sound so thin and overly compressed. With Sony Hybrid tips they lack depth to the sound and only excel in width while with my V-moda tips they have good width and depth :). Still in terms of overall detail, clarity/transparency, imaging, sound staging (3D) the 1Plus2s take the cake. They've set a new standard for me. Pretty much competing even with full size heaphones IMO :). I don't even bother using the MDR-7550s anymore and sold off the other gear.

 

Still I'm a  bit baffled? If the EX1000 was such a success why did they discontinue it? They still make the 7550s....


Edited by lee730 - 1/9/13 at 3:43pm
post #3994 of 5372

I am now thinking the synergy also has something to do with each individual's ear drums. :)

post #3995 of 5372
Thing is with separation and most things around SQ is we can happily go on listening to what we have and think it's awesome and that things really couldn't get much better, but that instant you hear better gear you realize the limitations you've been going through. I have ipods and many sources here (check my profile) but it's clear all my apple devices lack in separation. Apart from that to under my standards they're decent players, possibly a little more refinement around the mid range would help.
post #3996 of 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Still I'm a  bit baffled? If the EX1000 was such a success why did they discontinue it? They still make the 7550s....

 

Because you were unintentionally stabbed by the EX1000 and Sony are scared to make more. LOL

post #3997 of 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

Thing is with separation and most things around SQ is we can happily go on listening to what we have and think it's awesome and that things really couldn't get much better, but that instant you hear better gear you realize the limitations you've been going through. I have ipods and many sources here (check my profile) but it's clear all my apple devices lack in separation. Apart from that to under my standards they're decent players, possibly a little more refinement around the mid range would help.


How do you compare RB'ed ipod 5g to Cowon J3? Which one has better separations?

post #3998 of 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post


How do you compare RB'ed ipod 5g to Cowon J3? Which one has better separations?

The Cowons have better separation, but they also sound a little placid and flat to my ears. Where as the apple haves better energy and dynamics, more musical. I didn't really enjoy the EX600 with my Cowon S9. the Colorfly C3 however performed very well with my EX600 and I imagine the EX1000 would be suited aswell.
post #3999 of 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

 

Because you were unintentionally stabbed by the EX1000 and Sony are scared to make more. LOL


Ahh the law-suites mounting for ear-damage  ;).

post #4000 of 5372

H20Fidelity: I have both that's why I asked your take on those two. Indeed we hear things differently but that's understandable.

 

OK guys, let's get back on topic for the thread.

post #4001 of 5372

anyone find these headphone at lowest price of $250 is a steal?

post #4002 of 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Still I'm a  bit baffled? If the EX1000 was such a success why did they discontinue it? They still make the 7550s....

No, those are being discontinued too, prices didn't spike though because they didn't sell as well, stock hasn't sold out as much. 

post #4003 of 5372

Probably a combination of how they designed them, the lack of replaceable cables (not easily had) and the warranty support discrepancies between regions.
 

post #4004 of 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Probably a combination of how they designed them, the lack of replaceable cables (not easily had) and the warranty support discrepancies between regions.
 


Lee you really should get one even you were once accidentally stabbed by its treble. It was an accident and accident does happen sometimes. LOL.

But you know the EX1000 is really good, don't you? That airy and clear sound with well-controlled and extended bass is yummy.

 

Sorry guys for the off topic.

post #4005 of 5372

I think I know a mod that will help tame that spike to bring it to more 7550 tonality. I won't reveal it anytime soon though sorry, will wait till graphs can be posted. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread