Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 257

post #3841 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestula View Post

And way more expensive. At least 60% more...


Actually I got my former pair of EX1000 for less than I paid for my IE80s. Still the flaws I heard on the IEM didn't make me feel it was better than the IE80 even without the tape mod. The treble spikes I got from the EX1000 was atrocious and made it sound like garbage to my ears. Still most will disagree with me but there are others other than myself who also confirm the treble spike issues. So I am not alone on this. On the other hand the MDR-7550 (next in line to the EX1000) doesn't exhibit any of the issues I had on the EX1000 and is noticeably better than them IMO :). More bass quantity, better mid-range and treble that I can listen to without pain ;).


Edited by lee730 - 12/1/12 at 3:30am
post #3842 of 5773

hi, neophyte to the audiophile game. was considering these, the westone 4 and shure se535. how are these for classical and vocals? I keep getting advice back and forth between these and the shures

post #3843 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by casshern View Post

hi, neophyte to the audiophile game. was considering these, the westone 4 and shure se535. how are these for classical and vocals? I keep getting advice back and forth between these and the shures


Very good in classical. Vocals aren't bad but you can turn them into mid-centric IEMs with the tape mod.

post #3844 of 5773

Ok. I have tried JVC tips. These are shorter and wider than originial Sennheiser single flame tips. For me it doesnt work. The best fit I could find is still the comply foam... And after trying many tips I can say, even if u think, u found the perfect seal, u might not... Probably thats the reson for the negative comments about IE80, simply they didnt find the perfect seal... The difference between 90% and 100% seal can make 200% difference in sound quality... 
 I have good seal with comply... Just dont want to buy every month another 3 piece set... So I might go for customs...

The other thing: I started to like tape mod. I loved the increased mids and highs at the first time. But I thought most of the bass has disappeared... Like u put a blanket on the sub woofer... But after listening a while, I started to hear, there is bass, when necessary... It just doesnt rule the whole soundscape...

 

 And the device you use also makes huge differences... There is no sense to talk about EQ, each and every headphone requires some other setting... There is no sense to talk about the quality of an IEM, if u dont have a proper source...

 Enjoy music. ;) 

post #3845 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestula View Post

Ok. I have tried JVC tips. These are shorter and wider than originial Sennheiser single flame tips. For me it doesnt work. The best fit I could find is still the comply foam... And after trying many tips I can say, even if u think, u found the perfect seal, u might not... Probably thats the reson for the negative comments about IE80, simply they didnt find the perfect seal... The difference between 90% and 100% seal can make 200% difference in sound quality... 
 I have good seal with comply... Just dont want to buy every month another 3 piece set... So I might go for customs...

The other thing: I started to like tape mod. I loved the increased mids and highs at the first time. But I thought most of the bass has disappeared... Like u put a blanket on the sub woofer... But after listening a while, I started to hear, there is bass, when necessary... It just doesnt rule the whole soundscape...

 

 And the device you use also makes huge differences... There is no sense to talk about EQ, each and every headphone requires some other setting... There is no sense to talk about the quality of an IEM, if u dont have a proper source...

 Enjoy music. ;) 

 

Aww so you are warming up to it bestula ;). I felt the same way within a couple hours of usage. When you revert back to stock the IE80s will sound horrible. Because the mid bass will cloud everything, even the treble lol. Also regarding the source you are also right. That is why I never felt my IE80s were lacking bass on my DX100 or Studio V. Still tons of impact, almost too much :P. I never thought about it but actually they complies may work better with the IE80 after the tape mod. Although you'll still get more treble extension and cleaner bass with good fitting silicone if you can find them. I know there are some Panasonic ones that I hear work really well on the IE80s. Not sure if that is worth a shot or not. I no longer own my IE80s as I sold them for the Heir 8As.


Edited by lee730 - 12/6/12 at 3:03pm
post #3846 of 5773

Just got my cable for IE80. Literally haven't listened to IE80 for good 3 months. Very refreshing IEM.

post #3847 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokyung View Post

Just got my cable for IE80. Literally haven't listened to IE80 for good 3 months. Very refreshing IEM.


lol funny how when I sell mine you go back to it ;P. Well the 1Plus2 will most likely get you putting them all away lmao ;).

post #3848 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


lol funny how when I sell mine you go back to it ;P. Well the 1Plus2 will most likely get you putting them all away lmao ;).

 

Im a little surprised you sold yours Lee, you were always the face of the IE80 thread to me haha. What were the reasons for selling btw?

post #3849 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

Im a little surprised you sold yours Lee, you were always the face of the IE80 thread to me haha. What were the reasons for selling btw?


Heir 8A.

 

1000

 

My pair will have this same faceplate design.

 

1000

 

1000

 

My shell with be dark smoke with the same clear tips as this IEM.


Edited by lee730 - 12/7/12 at 8:12am
post #3850 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Heir 8A.

 

I see, happy listening!

post #3851 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


lol funny how when I sell mine you go back to it ;P. Well the 1Plus2 will most likely get you putting them all away lmao ;).

IE80 for outside, 1Plus2 for indoors. Sounds like a good match to me :P

post #3852 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokyung View Post

IE80 for outside, 1Plus2 for indoors. Sounds like a good match to me :P

 

lol I'll be using my 1Plus2s for outside and the Heirs inside ;).

post #3853 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

lol I'll be using my 1Plus2s for outside and the Heirs inside ;).

 

I keep all of my high end IEMs inside. I've taken them outside couple times, but I never carry a hard case with me. 

post #3854 of 5773

Aww well if I take them off they go into my pocket (pocket is kept empty other than those IEMs so I'm not worried about damaging them. The Heirs on the other hand I am not comfortable with taking those out. The looks may draw too much attention but more so the isolation is what really has me bothered with that. I can't risk my life for dangerous isolation ;). I think my Sony MDR-7550s would draw more attention though than the Heirs due to their weird look lol.
 


Edited by lee730 - 12/7/12 at 8:25am
post #3855 of 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Aww well if I take them off they go into my pocket (pocket is kept empty other than those IEMs so I'm not worried about damaging them. The Heirs on the other hand I am not comfortable with taking those out. The looks may draw too much attention but more so the isolation is what really has me bothered with that. I can't risk my life for dangerous isolation ;). I think my Sony MDR-7550s would draw more attention though than the Heirs due to their weird look lol.
 

Yeah, that's why I never wear IEMs when I go outside for jogging. Always earbuds at low volume :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread