Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 256

post #3826 of 5567

I lost one of the large single flanges :(  lee could you tell me whether the one that came with ie80 is the same height as the JVC?  or is it the longer one? 

post #3827 of 5567

Edit: The IE80 large single flange tips are similar to the JVC tips but they are actually smaller. The JVCs have a slightly larger diameter and the material is also different. More thicker so it grabs better.


Edited by lee730 - 11/27/12 at 2:36pm
post #3828 of 5567

I took the IE80 to a 7-hrs flight yesterday and it sounded pretty good with mostly chamber music. The isolation is not bad with the default stock tips (single flange).

post #3829 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I took the IE80 to a 7-hrs flight yesterday and it sounded pretty good with mostly chamber music. The isolation is not bad with the default stock tips (single flange).

 

People say the isolation on the IE80 is bad because they test the isolation without music on. Its isolation is bad if you intend to use them as earplugs.

post #3830 of 5567

Even as ear plugs they aren't half bad depending on the application lol. Like while I'm driving I think they offer a nice and safe isolation without completing cutting me off from the outside.
 

post #3831 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsEatCookie View Post

 

People say the isolation on the IE80 is bad because they test the isolation without music on. Its isolation is bad if you intend to use them as earplugs.


Who would want to use it without playing music? wink_face.gif  I think the bassy phones like the IE80's work pretty well on airplanes.

post #3832 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Even as ear plugs they aren't half bad depending on the application lol. Like while I'm driving I think they offer a nice and safe isolation without completing cutting me off from the outside.
 

 

This is why I like mediocre isolation on my phones :)

post #3833 of 5567

how is clarity in mids with ie80 ? 

post #3834 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras View Post

how is clarity in mids with ie80 ? 


Excellent. What I am now finding is that I need to redo some of my MP3 music in a higher resolution (say 320 kbps) as anything around 192 sounds definitely of lesser quality with the ie80s. I hadn't really noticed this with my 580s. The most important thing is that the bass of the ie80s doesn't get in the way of the mid range. I've got a few leider recitals that I listen to including one from Ann Murray on Hyperion who seem to get great sound quality - her voice is just stunning!

post #3835 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden4th View Post


Excellent. What I am now finding is that I need to redo some of my MP3 music in a higher resolution (say 320 kbps) as anything around 192 sounds definitely of lesser quality with the ie80s. I hadn't really noticed this with my 580s. The most important thing is that the bass of the ie80s doesn't get in the way of the mid range. I've got a few leider recitals that I listen to including one from Ann Murray on Hyperion who seem to get great sound quality - her voice is just stunning!

 

I disagree, compared to other high tiers in similar price range, it does seem a little veiled. I guess it does come down to personal preference however.

post #3836 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsEatCookie View Post

 

I disagree, compared to other high tiers in similar price range, it does seem a little veiled. I guess it does come down to personal preference however.

 

For me they are a little laidback IEM, for long listening session is fine, as you say a matter of preference.

post #3837 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post

 

For me they are a little laidback IEM, for long listening session is fine, as you say a matter of preference.


With the tape mod it's kinda hard to call them laid back any longer...

post #3838 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


With the tape mod it's kinda hard to call them laid back any longer...


I totally agree with you :)

post #3839 of 5567

Tried the tape mod. While the mid hump is subdued the bass extension is gone. After listening for a while with the tape, I took it off and immediately put on the EX1000. Man the EX1000 is WAY better.

post #3840 of 5567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Tried the tape mod. While the mid hump is subdued the bass extension is gone. After listening for a while with the tape, I took it off and immediately put on the EX1000. Man the EX1000 is WAY better.

And way more expensive. At least 60% more...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread