Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 243

post #3631 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I figure they both are great options in the end. I may end up reverting back to stock for my Studio V depending on my mood. But love the option to change it to a completely different beast with just a couple small pieces of tape :).

Definitely!  Tape mod will be tried once i get some time on them.  Do you think getting some cables is a good idea?  I may try some toxic cables!

post #3632 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by picco007 View Post

Definitely!  Tape mod will be tried once i get some time on them.  Do you think getting some cables is a good idea?  I may try some toxic cables!


Cables will definitely improve the IE80s further. Those toxic cables look really nice as well. I may end up going for a cable from them or from Tralucent Audio.

post #3633 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Cables will definitely improve the IE80s further. Those toxic cables look really nice as well. I may end up going for a cable from them or from Tralucent Audio.

 

Are the IE80s and Tralucents your favorites? lol

post #3634 of 5765

@Toxic cable guy...that cable appears to be straight just before the connectors to the iem. I guess it could be easily "shaped" for those who like to wear them over ear??

post #3635 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

@Toxic cable guy...that cable appears to be straight just before the connectors to the iem. I guess it could be easily "shaped" for those who like to wear them over ear??

The cable is very flexible, so can easily be worn over ear, i can also pre shape the wire on request.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #3636 of 5765

Guys when I press my Right Earpiece into my year I hear this squishy popping sound. Does not happen with my left ear piece. Should I be worried?

 

It's 2 weeks old, never dropped it or pressed on it, only realised this now as I usually just listen to one ear.

 

Should I send it back for a new set?

 

It's not the silicone tips cause I tried different sized tips and still get the same sound. Comply tips included!

 

I am being led to believe this is driver flex. Saw this on the other forum thread "The ear popping sound is driver flex, When you create a really good seal  air inside your canal doesn't have time to escape becoming air tight which in turn causes driver inside the housing to flex - it's not a major problem however should be avoided. You should remove the IEM then re-insert slowly or.... try lifting your ear up or to the side allowing air inside your canal to escape.I can't explain the hissing sound sorry unless it's in association with the seal."

 

I can replicate this on my left earpiece when I insert it in very fast. I'm guessing this means my Right ear seals betterr than my left? LOL

 

What do you think guys?

 

1) Does anyone else experience this?

2) Should I return for a new set?


Edited by iztis - 10/24/12 at 12:41pm
post #3637 of 5765

To the gentlemen that have heard a decent number of IEMs, is there anything comparable to the bass and soundstage of the IE80s that could be found new or used for >400 dollars?

post #3638 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

To the gentlemen that have heard a decent number of IEMs, is there anything comparable to the bass and soundstage of the IE80s that could be found new or used for >400 dollars?

 

The Aurisonics ASG-1.2

 

I compared them head to head at an airport in Houston, and I noticed that the IE80's bass didn't sound nearly as organic/capable, and that the overall sound was a lot "grainier".

 

The IE80 is better in the treble though.

post #3639 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

To the gentlemen that have heard a decent number of IEMs, is there anything comparable to the bass and soundstage of the IE80s that could be found new or used for >400 dollars?


FX700 if you don't mind a V-shaped sound. Or MDR-7550s if you don't mind less quantity of bass but more quality.

post #3640 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


FX700 if you don't mind a V-shaped sound. Or MDR-7550s if you don't mind less quantity of bass but more quality.

 

To me the FX700's bass and soundstage is different from the IE8(0)'s.

 

The FX bass is more knock your teeth out with a hard punch, while the IE gives more of an enveloping type of bass. Also, the mids of the IE give it a different kind of soundstage from the FX, in that it's more euphoric. I don't really know how to put it without having the two side by side.

post #3641 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

To the gentlemen that have heard a decent number of IEMs, is there anything comparable to the bass and soundstage of the IE80s that could be found new or used for >400 dollars?

 

You can get the IE80s for under $400 brand new.  

post #3642 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post

 

You can get the IE80s for under $400 brand new.  


He sold his IE80s devil. Hes looking for a replacement since the IE80s didn't fit is ears. IMO the MDR-7550s are the safest bet. Quite different sound signature but very pleasing still. Isolation isn't that great however.

post #3643 of 5765
Just got my IE80s and here are my impressions.

I decided to upgrade my one week old CX880i as I wasn't completely satisfied with the sound. However, I'm noticing that the sound is changing as they are burning in. They originally sounded a bit muddy in the mids and highs. And especially recessed mids. This seems to have cleared. Strange!

Anyways, about the IE80. I just did a comparison of the two. In terms of soundstage, the IE80s are the clear winner. I didn't think this IEMs could produce this kind of soundstage. No where near an open headphone though. Now thinking back on certain reviews saying how the soundstage compares to speakers ....what where they smoking? The IE 80 soundstage is phenomenal...for an IEM.

The quickness and sound separation is very impressive. Listening to GNRs "Patience", I finally was able to hear the right channel guitar throughout the whole song. I've listened to this song since way back in the late 80s (or was it early 90s?) on different formats but I've never been heard the two guitars so distinctly before. I pick a guitar, and hum along with that specific guitar feom the beginning to the end of the song. I tried hearing this with the CX880i and couldn't not make it out.

The one weakness I found so far is that the highs and mids seem kind of muffled. Sort of like the CX880i when I first heard them. For example, on a certain guitar track, I slightly could hear the nuisances of the guitarist pick hitting the grooves of the string as he strums with the CX880i, however, the IE80 seemed to smooth it out.

I'm guessing this might be a case of needing to burn in new set, as I had the exact same impressions of the CX880i when i got them? How did the sound change after 100 hours for you guys? If burn in fixes this, I think these are the perfect set of IEMs for me.

The only thing I would have liked to see would be an inline remote for iPhones included. I ordered the IE8i replacement cable, but for this price, it should have been in the box.
post #3644 of 5765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodstriker View Post

Just got my IE80s and here are my impressions.
I decided to upgrade my one week old CX880i as I wasn't completely satisfied with the sound. However, I'm noticing that the sound is changing as they are burning in. They originally sounded a bit muddy in the mids and highs. And especially recessed mids. This seems to have cleared. Strange!
Anyways, about the IE80. I just did a comparison of the two. In terms of soundstage, the IE80s are the clear winner. I didn't think this IEMs could produce this kind of soundstage. No where near an open headphone though. Now thinking back on certain reviews saying how the soundstage compares to speakers ....what where they smoking? The IE 80 soundstage is phenomenal...for an IEM.
The quickness and sound separation is very impressive. Listening to GNRs "Patience", I finally was able to hear the right channel guitar throughout the whole song. I've listened to this song since way back in the late 80s (or was it early 90s?) on different formats but I've never been heard the two guitars so distinctly before. I pick a guitar, and hum along with that specific guitar feom the beginning to the end of the song. I tried hearing this with the CX880i and couldn't not make it out.
The one weakness I found so far is that the highs and mids seem kind of muffled. Sort of like the CX880i when I first heard them. For example, on a certain guitar track, I slightly could hear the nuisances of the guitarist pick hitting the grooves of the string as he strums with the CX880i, however, the IE80 seemed to smooth it out.
I'm guessing this might be a case of needing to burn in new set, as I had the exact same impressions of the CX880i when i got them? How did the sound change after 100 hours for you guys? If burn in fixes this, I think these are the perfect set of IEMs for me.
The only thing I would have liked to see would be an inline remote for iPhones included. I ordered the IE8i replacement cable, but for this price, it should have been in the box.

A good upgrade cable with silver or silver-plated wiring should remove the "veil" over the mids/highs. Some can be had for as low as $35... I'm not endorsing any $35 cables, per se, but they are out there. I got a "specially priced" Athena 8 cable out of the Bay for $60. It's actually amazing (to my ears) that a little orange/silver-plated cable can make such a difference. Lots of different cable types (like Baldur, Silver Galaxy, etc.) and prices out there.

 

I wouldn't do anything until your 80s have ~100 hours of break-in, though.


Edited by Judge Buff - 10/25/12 at 8:05am
post #3645 of 5765

I don't think I'm gonna look for an IE80 replacement soon.

 

It must be a hell of an IEM to outperform IE80's sound and flexibility. An IE80 upgrade it gonna cost you much more cash then ~300$ . 

 

If you can buy IE80's for 250$ (even used), GRAB THEM, as long as these sound good and all accessories are there.

 

If you find them too bassy , ISO_Mod them, if you want even more transparency, recable them.

 

So many options in a single package...Hard to beat. But an expensive one indeed. 400$ in my opinion is too much for an universal, as long as it's not titanium base, pure-silver cable, unique design, extreme comfort & isolation.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread