Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 221

post #3301 of 5881

 

If I insert them gently and not all the way in, I get a seal and they sound good. As soon as I try to get them in a proper depth so that they will stay in nice and snug, it's like they collapse in my ear or something. Maybe I'm just weird...it's possible. Check the pic to see if it looks like I've got them on properly please.

post #3302 of 5881

Can you push them down a bit more? Not sure if that may have anything to do with it. But Mat the IE80s fit pretty snug in my ears. The hole driver actually will fit flush in my ears. I also use the housing of the IE80s to complete my seal. I'll insert them at a certain angle and grip the  housing and move it some while in my ear to complete the seal.
 

post #3303 of 5881

Yes, I'll give it a shot in the morning. Thanks for the advice!!

post #3304 of 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ich1ban View Post

I compared the two, whilst the EPH100s weren't that far behind in clarity and bass, it sounded more laid back and I enjoyed the treble(tonk tonk as opposed to tsch tsch) on the EPHs. Separation was about the same, you can hear a lot on both earphones. 

However there was one thing that you will instantly notice when you compare the two, the EPH sounds very... constricted and limited in soundstage compared to the IE80s, I thought the soundstage was fairly good on the EPH100s at first, compared to my CKM500s. However once I tried the IE80s, I was completely immersed and the sound comes from everywhere - the sound quality might not be 2x better than the EPH100s, but I don't think I've heard any other IEMs that sound like this - something a full sized headphone would deliver. 

If you play games such as FPS, the 3D imaging and directional sound is amazing. 

My previous earphones include the AT CKM500, Yamaha EPH100, Vsonic GR07, Sennheiser PC300, Etymotic GX400 - I'm no audiophile, but compared to these earphones, the IE80 are a class above all in my opinion except maybe the GR07s. 

The GR07s sounded very natural, different to the IE80/EPH100s, not enough bass for me though. They were also the reason why I was put off getting over-the-ear earphones for so long, I found them extremely uncomfortable and the cord kept unwinding itself off my ear. I prefer the thump you get from the bass which is why I stuck with the EPH100s. I think it's the sound stage that does it for me on the IE80s, don't think I can ever go back to the other cheaper IEMs after using these. 

So far I can't think of a major aspect the EPH100s are better in, except for the worn-down design which I personally prefer. 

It's still $240-250 from Amazon.it, if you have the extra $$$ go for it.

Thanks Itchy. smile.gif

I gathered EPH-100 would sound limited in soundstage width, probably even congested compared. What you're describing sounds similar to EX600 soundstage, cues firing in all directions. Part of that thump you're talking about is the added mid-bass hump contributing, which IEM has more mid-bass EPH OR IE80? GR07 are quite light in that area in comparison. If separation is up to speed with EPH-100 then that's fine because they really do well there.

I have no doubt Sennheiser can impress, though the price of diminishing returns bothers me. That's why GR07 is so popular here, they show an excellent bang for money.

Would you of paid $400 from them?
post #3305 of 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Thanks Itchy. smile.gif
I gathered EPH-100 would sound limited in soundstage width, probably even congested compared. What you're describing sounds similar to EX600 soundstage, cues firing in all directions. Part of that thump you're talking about is the added mid-bass hump contributing, which IEM has more mid-bass EPH OR IE80? GR07 are quite light in that area in comparison. If separation is up to speed with EPH-100 then that's fine because they really do well there.
I have no doubt Sennheiser can impress, though the price of diminishing returns bothers me. That's why GR07 is so popular here, they show an excellent bang for money.
Would you of paid $400 from them?


lol why pay full price when you don't have to? I would not pay $400.00 for the IE80s or even $450 (MSRP Price for them).

post #3306 of 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


lol why pay full price when you don't have to? I would not pay $400.00 for the IE80s or even $450 (MSRP Price for them).

I'm not going to pay full price, I'm asking Itchy if he purchased all over again does he feel they're worth the full price amazon is asking. smile.gif

Or even better, how much do you guy's honestly think they'reworth?? O_o

What would you pay Lee, $259? - $159 what would you be happy parting with for these little gems.
post #3307 of 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


I'm not going to pay full price, I'm asking Itchy if he purchased all over again does he feel they're worth the full price amazon is asking. smile.gif
Or even better, how much do you guy's honestly think they'reworth?? O_o
What would you pay Lee, $259? - $159 what would you be happy parting with for these little gems.


I paid $330.00 and I feel they are worth that price. If I could have gotten them at $270 I'd have been extremely happy as I paid around that price for my first pair of IE8s (which I felt they were very much worth that price as well). Plus its not too difficult to resell them at a slight loss in the event they are not your cup of tea. I have yet to not sell an item I have bought here on headfi when I felt it was time to move on.

 

What I am confused about though is your comments regarding the EX600 and mid bass. From what I have read I've never heard the EX series being mid bass heavy. Generally speaking they lack in mid bass..... Yet excel in very well controlled sub bass (quality). Which is honestly the main reason why I bought the MDR-7550 because the EX1000s bass was to die for. That much I can admit.


Edited by lee730 - 9/24/12 at 9:07pm
post #3308 of 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I paid $330.00 and I feel they are worth that price. If I could have gotten them at $270 I'd have been extremely happy as I paid around that price for my first pair of IE8s (which I felt they were very much worth that price as well). Plus its not too difficult to resell them at a slight loss in the event they are not your cup of tea. I have yet to not sell an item I have bought here on headfi when I felt it was time to move on.

What I am confused about though is your comments regarding the EX600 and mid bass. From what I have read I've never heard the EX series being mid bass heavy. Generally speaking they lack in mid bass..... Yet excel in very well controlled sub bass (quality). Which is honestly the main reason why I bought the MDR-7550 because the EX1000s bass was to die for. That much I can admit.

I never said the EX600 had mid-bass hump, I was talking about the EPH-100 Yamaha. I should of written my post more clearly sorry

I know, it's quite confusing for you Lee I understand. tongue.gif

EX600 = no mid bass hump.

EPH = mid-bass hump. (wanting to know how compares to IE80 mid-bass)

I know to well about selling my used items, I believe I have more feedback here than yourself buddy! lol
post #3309 of 5881

I'm not sure with what the distinct differences are between mid/sub bass humps so I can't really comment on it lol.

 

But as far as pricing goes, I don't think I'll ever spend 450 on earphones, I'd pay $300 for them though.

 

The same applies to anything as you go up in price range in my opinion, stuff ends up costing 2-3x more but is definitely not 2-3x better. Although once you get used to using a higher quality pair, you wouldn't settle for less in the future.

 

If I never had an issue with my EPH100s then heard the IE80s, I would still get a pair of IE80s and get rid of the EPHs, just my personal preference. Although I do think that they are a grade above the Yamaha's in everything, sound quality, cable/build quality, packaging, reliability/0 condensation issues(in our case lol). 

 

At $250, it's definitely worth it, I think the cheapest place you can get them in Australia is probably from Kogan which is $350 + delivery(also grey imported). 

post #3310 of 5881
No worries Itchy. Mid bass is usually found around 80Hz - 200Hz. Sub-bass is more of a rumble and feel between 20Hz - 60Hz while mid-bass is the punchy or boom part of the bass. Basically I don't like to much boom in my IEM's it overcrowds the signature imo and I tend to steer away from IEM's like that.

Here's a chart that might help.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
Edited by H20Fidelity - 9/24/12 at 9:48pm
post #3311 of 5881

The sound staging also plays a roll on that as well though. I'm sure the Eph sound stage pails in comparison to the IE80. You have space within that sound stage for such a presentation. I've never been into cluttered or small (closed in sounds).


Edited by lee730 - 9/24/12 at 10:05pm
post #3312 of 5881
Very True. That's what works well with good width, if you can spread that mid-bass across the bottom of a stage it can work in our favour. Although as I mentioned EX600 has little mid-bass the way it lays the low end across the soundstage is wonderful. Whereas EPH-100 would kind of keep wacking you centre stage. EPH has decent depth though so it was coming from quite distance. The stage of EPH is deeper than it is wide.
post #3313 of 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

Very True. That's what works well with good width, if you can spread that mid-bass across the bottom of a stage it can work in our favour. Although as I mentioned EX600 has little mid-bass the way it lays the low end across the soundstage is wonderful. Whereas EPH-100 would kind of keep wacking you centre stage. EPH has decent depth though so it was coming from quite distance. The stage of EPH is deeper than it is wide.

 

Yeah the IE80s has very good width and depth (3D sound). The mid bass actually does contribute some to the massiveness of the sound stage as well. I still am preferring that mod though as it brings balance in this regard while also making the IEM noticeably more detailed across the board. Depending on my mood I could very well see myself taking off the tape at times. But I'll probably just switch to a different IEM if the mood calls for it. Its definitely not just focused in the center. That kinda presentation irritates me to no end. I like having my space ;).

post #3314 of 5881

for the tape mod which tape do u guy use? is it the black tape or the clear tape?

post #3315 of 5881

I just used clear tape as it looked better on the faceplate.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread