Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 218

post #3256 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Sorry lol. No I doubt it because the driver should be more under stress if its technically moving more. With it open its able to breathe and thus move more, producing more bass and a slightly bigger sound stage. I also have my reservations regarding covering the entire IEM. I think some of those removable compartments may not be as sealed as you'd be led to believe. The drivers still may be getting some air just not as much.

mother of Zeus .. Bolt me in the Ass!!!  nw they sound like my w4s.. still its pretty veiled as far as " kick drums" exist in songs..  It really opens the mid-range and flatten up the bass a bit.. but still I'm really scared to try this with metal music , i literary can feel the double kick drums trying to Rip off the driver .. hehe!  but ill use this method when i feel like "i need more details"

 

Try    Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme album..  i can guarantee that ull get scared!!  (",)

post #3257 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


So you tried it out? Its actually quite nice. Wasn't expecting that kinda sound? Is that what the HD600 sound more like? Or does the treble resemble more of the HD650s after the mod? The sound-stage placement is definitely more spot on, it really tells you where its coming from (imaging). Detail is noticeably better. Can't really call the treble laid-back at this point but still non-fatiguing and silky-smooth. I love that though. I foresee the MDR-7550s going up for sale soon now lol and not because they are bad IEM (they are excellent themselves). Otherwise I have no idea how the hell the sound stage is still this large by itself. Even through my UHA6 MKII and DACport LX the sound stage is still very large. I'm a sucker for a large sound stage so it if did indeed neuter them in this regard I'd have gone back already. I actually did try and go back and was disappointed by the mid-bass bloat in comparison to the mod. So I ended up reverting again but this time made it look nice and cut the pieces of tape to perfectly fit the faceplate. Looks like it also offers protection to the faceplate from scratches :).

You said it all Lee. really i dont know what the others are hearing, lol

post #3258 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post

Interesting... led me to wonder that the IE80 has other ventilation other than the one visible.

On my IE8, its totally sealed, cause when i tried the tape, it feels vacuum when one put it on.

 

I wouldn't be surprised the silver faceplate is the other form of ventilation.

I'll try it on my IE8 and let you know

post #3259 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore078 View Post

has anyone tries wearing these cable down as opposed to over ear? i hear wearing the ie8s wire down was just as good a fit. can anyone confirm this is the same fir the ie80s?

thanks!


The IE80's design is the same as IE8's. I don't think you can get a good fit with the IE80 wearing the cable down as that's not how it's designed to be used in the first place, unless you try swapping the earpieces. Still prone to microphonics and not quite a secure fit, though.

post #3260 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post

Interesting... led me to wonder that the IE80 has other ventilation other than the one visible.

On my IE8, its totally sealed, cause when i tried the tape, it feels vacuum when one put it on.

 

I wouldn't be surprised the silver faceplate is the other form of ventilation.


If you look on the front of the IEM there are ports that are covered by a smaller piece of plastic. This looks removable, just like the nozzle. I'm not saying remove them but I'm sure air is getting in from both those areas. But from what I am hearing having vents in the front will kill bass while having vents in the back will increase it.

post #3261 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylaw View Post

mother of Zeus .. Bolt me in the Ass!!!  nw they sound like my w4s.. still its pretty veiled as far as " kick drums" exist in songs..  It really opens the mid-range and flatten up the bass a bit.. but still I'm really scared to try this with metal music , i literary can feel the double kick drums trying to Rip off the driver .. hehe!  but ill use this method when i feel like "i need more details"

 

Try    Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme album..  i can guarantee that ull get scared!!  (",)


I bet you though they sound more natural than your W4s. Coherency? I know using EQ is taboo for me (lol) but I added 5 db to the bass and 3 to the mid bass and wow. They sound perfect now. Everything is much more balanced across the board. Still got the detail in the mids and treble and the bass has the quality and quantity.... Looks like I got a winner. Plus if I want a more mid-centric sound just turn EQ off on my DX100 :). It really depends on the mood too :P. Am I going crazy or is the bass increasing on it own with this mod? Could be due to the DX100 EQ inconsistencies when enabling it and disabling it between restarts.


Edited by lee730 - 9/22/12 at 7:20pm
post #3262 of 5649

 

Dude, I've been in that thread for long, long before you've seen it and tried pretty every headphone I had on EQ. I have plenty experience and know what I am saying. 

post #3263 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRoma View Post

 

Dude, I've been in that thread for long, long before you've seen it and tried pretty every headphone I had on EQ. I have plenty experience and know what I am saying. 


So Alex what is your impressions of your modded IE80s in  comparison to your former GR07s? Curious to hear your opinion between them.  I never found the GR07s on par with the IE80s even before this mod. But the gap is even bigger IMO now :).

post #3264 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


So Alex what is your impressions of your modded IE80s in  comparison to your former GR07s? Curious to hear your opinion between them.  I never found the GR07s on par with the IE80s even before this mod. But the gap is even bigger IMO now smily_headphones1.gif.

That's not true Lee! GR07 MK2 = very good SQ!
post #3265 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


That's not true Lee! GR07 MK2 = very good SQ!


You know you are tempted to try them out. Feel the itch..?  :D


Edited by lee730 - 9/24/12 at 4:09am
post #3266 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


You know you are tempted to try them out. Feel the itch..?  biggrin.gif

I have been tempted actually. Very expensive IEM for me though. devil_face.gif

No room for error here!
post #3267 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


I have been tempted actually. Very expensive IEM for me though. devil_face.gif
No room for error here!


True enough. That is why you get them on sale ;). I read earlier they are going for around $270 on amazon. Forgot which amazon but they also shipped to Aussie-land (for free to my knowledge) ;). I'd have loved to have paid that. I paid $330 for mine.

post #3268 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


True enough. That is why you get them on sale wink.gif. I read earlier they are going for around $270 on amazon. Forgot which amazon but they also shipped to Aussie-land (for free to my knowledge) wink.gif. I'd have loved to have paid that. I paid $330 for mine.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=headfiorg-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.de%2Fexec%2Fobidos%2FASIN%2FB005N8W27I%2Fozba0f-21


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I know these things wink.gif

Edited by H20Fidelity - 9/24/12 at 4:26am
post #3269 of 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


You know you are tempted to try them out. Feel the itch..?  :D

I laughed my ass off  for this... hahaha lol..!  a GOOD one! biggrin.gif  tongue.gif

post #3270 of 5649

You know, H2O, Lee might be on to something. I personally liked the IE8, though I didn't think it was as good as the GR07 tonality wise, but the combination of soundstage plus good bass and decent imaging might be what you've been looking for. 

 

Either way, Amazon is awesome at letting you return stuff you don't like wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread