Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 11

post #151 of 5602


the only expensive iem i own are the IE8's, and they can definitely improve on them; hopefully at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman227 View Post

It would be hard for them to improve on the IE8's. 



 

post #152 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post


the only expensive iem i own are the IE8's, and they can definitely improve on them; hopefully at least



 



I agree 100%, if they don't improve on them sonically I personally thinks it's nothing but a cash grab and their way to milk their investment without having to do anything other than change the outer appearance. There are MANY dynamic based IEM's that kick the IE8 in the keester sound and technical wise that have come out in the past year several of which are way cheaper than the IE8(0) so I think Sennheiser needs to do something sonically speaking or they will start to be left behind.

 

post #153 of 5602

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I agree 100%, if they don't improve on them sonically I personally thinks it's nothing but a cash grab and their way to milk their investment without having to do anything other than change the outer appearance. There are MANY dynamic based IEM's that kick the IE8 in the keester sound and technical wise that have come out in the past year several of which are way cheaper than the IE8(0) so I think Sennheiser needs to do something sonically speaking or they will start to be left behind.


Too true indeed.

post #154 of 5602

 

Ok guys the verdict that you've been waiting for IE8 vs IE80
img2011092300831.jpgimg2011092300834.jpgimg2011092300838.jpg
As per all side by side comparisons, had used the same file same source same everything except the IEMs of course.
 
Soundstage - is slightly larger on the IE80
 
Sound Quality - Is more refined and detailed in all frequencies, mids do go slightly higher and have clarity, on some tracks with vocals you can reach and feel harmonics (imo a situation that when frequencies come to a blissful combination), bass is more controlled and quick, although they still are a bit bassy but now the frequencies feel more balanced. when switching back to the IE8 I can feel a veiled effect and once back on the IE80 it's cleared. I'm more engaged with the IE80 than the IE8.
 
The IE80 has improved sonically and aesthetically, IMHO only upgrade once you've sold or killed your IE8.
 
Any other questions, I will try to reply asap.
 
Bass hump is still evident fyi
post #155 of 5602

Why is there a small hole where the Sennheiser logo is supposed to be on your IE8?

post #156 of 5602

So the IE80 are allready on sale ? or its a preview set ?

post #157 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_1026 View Post

Why is there a small hole where the Sennheiser logo is supposed to be on your IE8?


I'm not too sure about that, as they belong to a friend, same friend who got me the IE80, so it could be either a preview set or it was removed or fell off, lol. The "hole" actually is a slight recess most likely for addition surface area to stick the Senn logo.

 

So there it is mine's a preview set but with the logo. No they are not yet available worldwide.

 

IMHO the bass hump is not a big issue. I would put it down as sort off Senn's signature.

 

post #158 of 5602

If you had to my friend, quantitatively speaking, how much of an 'improvement' would you say you hear going from the IE8 to the IE80?

post #159 of 5602

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver View Post


I agree 100%, if they don't improve on them sonically I personally thinks it's nothing but a cash grab and their way to milk their investment without having to do anything other than change the outer appearance. There are MANY dynamic based IEM's that kick the IE8 in the keester sound and technical wise that have come out in the past year several of which are way cheaper than the IE8(0) so I think Sennheiser needs to do something sonically speaking or they will start to be left behind.

 



Which IEM's are these?

post #160 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingreason View Post

Quote:



Which IEM's are these?



EX600, FX700, GR07, Miles Davis Tributes, Turbine Pro Copper, DDM and perhaps a few others.

 

Hopefully the IE80 is a little more competitive now...

post #161 of 5602

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

EX600, FX700, GR07, Miles Davis Tributes, Turbine Pro Copper, DDM and perhaps a few others.

 

Hopefully the IE80 is a little more competitive now...


Hmm, I've heard of people preferring the Monster IEMs to the IE8, but I don't think there's ever been any agreement that they "kick the IE8's butt" in terms of competance.  They aren't really much cheaper and thet FX700 cost more than the IE8. 

 

Of the reviews I've read of the DDM, GR07, and EX600's, it doesn't sound like they are better than the IE8 at all, but perhaps a better value depending on if they will make you happy.

 

 

 

post #162 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingreason View Post

Quote:



Which IEM's are these?

I have owned the IE8, MTPC, GR07 and would say they are all of similar ilk in regard to detail and technical ability. But of all 3 I feel the GR07 is the most balanced and most transparent, it comes close to the best features of the other two but with neither of their weaknesses. The IE8 does have a larger soundstage but it's midbass hump and veiled midrange, along with a treble that sounds off in regards to cymbals always left me wanting more. The MTPC on the other hand had to smaller sound stage for me, consistency issues, a thin sounding midrange, and a tendency to be to sparkly, fit issues and to much microphonics.

The GR07 is 1/2 the price of the other two to boot. But if the one early report is accurate does sound like the new IE80 does address the main issues with of the IE8.
post #163 of 5602

Yes they are cheaper than the IE8. Time to face the truth: the Sennheiser IE8 is much overpriced. 

Dont belive the reviews all people have diffirence tastes.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingreason View Post

Quote:


Hmm, I've heard of people preferring the Monster IEMs to the IE8, but I don't think there's ever been any agreement that they "kick the IE8's butt" in terms of competance.  They aren't really much cheaper and thet FX700 cost more than the IE8. 

 

Of the reviews I've read of the DDM, GR07, and EX600's, it doesn't sound like they are better than the IE8 at all, but perhaps a better value depending on if they will make you happy.

 

 

 



 


Edited by Akella - 9/23/11 at 9:53pm
post #164 of 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I spoke to the sennheiser rep that supplies our audio store, and asked estimated release in Canada. Also asked if I could trade in my IE8's with cash for the upgrade, and I know this guy well; he said Sennheiser can't do anything like that for me confused_face.gif
 



 

same for me, except without the store part.
 

 

post #165 of 5602

Well that is if you pay full retail right? I would never pay $400-$500 for the IE8s. My first pair was $265. My second pair cost me $300.00 but this time was an auth. dealer so with warranty (thank God for square trade BTW). If these IE80s are quite a noticeable upgrade from the IE8 then I'm really tempted to give them a shot. Will need to here more comparisons confirming the improvements from other headfiers before I'd even consider it. Could very well be that new metal material they are using in the housing could be responsible for these sound signature changes. But the most important thing is that they address the mid-bass hump. Its nice to maybe have a little mid-bass but not enough to color the sound and ruin otherwise what would be a very smooth sounding IEM.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47-whaaa View Post



same for me, except without the store part.
 

 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Akella View Post

Yes they are cheaper than the IE8. Time to face the truth: the Sennheiser IE8 is much overpriced. 

Dont belive the reviews all people have diffirence tastes.
 



 


 

 


Edited by lee730 - 9/24/11 at 4:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread