or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7506
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7506 - Page 6

post #76 of 156

Dear all,

 

I recently bought an Sony MDR 7506. A friend of mine has one and I’ve listened to it a few times and really liked it.

 

Now after listening to it for a few days I have my doubts about the bass. It’s not as deep and dominant as I thought it would be. I compared it to my sennheiser hd 201 and that one has a real dominant bass.

 

Is there a way to make the bass louder or more dominant? I only use the headphone on my iPod. There are pre-sets in EQ on the iPod and I put the bass as loud as possible and the treble as soft as possible.

Still it is not good enough. :-(

 

Does anyone has any advice for me? Or is there no way to make the bass more dominant?

 

Cheers!

 

Guoy

post #77 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoy View Post

Dear all,

 

I recently bought an Sony MDR 7506. A friend of mine has one and I’ve listened to it a few times and really liked it.

 

Now after listening to it for a few days I have my doubts about the bass. It’s not as deep and dominant as I thought it would be. I compared it to my sennheiser hd 201 and that one has a real dominant bass.

 

Is there a way to make the bass louder or more dominant? I only use the headphone on my iPod. There are pre-sets in EQ on the iPod and I put the bass as loud as possible and the treble as soft as possible.

Still it is not good enough. :-(

 

Does anyone has any advice for me? Or is there no way to make the bass more dominant?

 

Cheers!

 

Guoy




the Sony is definitely not as bassy headphone....But, it can get much better bass on a proper home receiver, or headphone amp with bass boost. It will never reach XB500/XB700 type of bass.

post #78 of 156
I just love the sound signature of the sony 7506. I have used koss, audio technica m50x, akg q701, sennheiser hd 558 and beyerdinamics cop. But I prefer the sony for my go to headphones for music; movies and video games. I use these headphones with the astro mixamp and the sound for games is awsome. Very satisfying headphone in all respects, a must buy great value for the money. 5/5
post #79 of 156

Picked up a pair this week after seeing them at Guitar Center, I figured I'd check them out, no intention of replacing the B&W P7, just wanted to see how these well regarded cans are. I own Grado SR80i and the Shure SRH440, so I wanted to see how they were compared to some other good $99 models.  I like what I've heard so far, they are pretty neutral overall.  I think they will replace the Shure for guitar playing on iOS apps. After some break-in I have to say I'm pretty impressed! I think they will be my knock around back-pack headphones.  Great value for $99!

post #80 of 156

They are a very durable pair of cans. One of my very good friends had a dad in the music industry with a pair of v6's, and he still has the same pair his dad used (they are at least 20 years old now, and still in perfect working order)

Amazingly durable.

post #81 of 156

I've read posts all over the web about these being too bright.  However, the graph on HeadRoom makes them look incredibly neutral w/ no significant peaks. So either people are listening to poorly mastered source material or the graph is wrong (or possible variations between different 7506's?).

 

I'm looking for an affordable set of headphones at ~$100 w/ a neutral sound sig but I cannot stand bright headphones.  I've owned Grado SR60.  They are nice for the money but too colored across the spectrum. 

 

Are these worth the $ these days or are their better options?

post #82 of 156

I think they are definitely worth the money. In my opinion, they are plenty balanced, and not too bright. Besides, if they are a bit too bright, you could probably EQ out a lot of the brightness. There is a reason that many professionals have these as their go-to headphones for editing sound.

 

Kevin K

post #83 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboe View Post

I've read posts all over the web about these being too bright.  However, the graph on HeadRoom makes them look incredibly neutral w/ no significant peaks. So either people are listening to poorly mastered source material or the graph is wrong (or possible variations between different 7506's?).



 



I'm looking for an affordable set of headphones at ~$100 w/ a neutral sound sig but I cannot stand bright headphones.  I've owned Grado SR60.  They are nice for the money but too colored across the spectrum. 



 



Are these worth the $ these days or are their better options?


 


If you can, try them before buying them.
For my ears, they are awesome. Not awesome at $90, but awesome at any price.
I love their ability to allow me to be able to pick single instruments, and follow them clearly. They are super on voices as well.
I have owned and sold many much more expensive headphone, because the 7506 kept coming back to my head for stay.
I can (and do) wear them for ours, with zero fatigue, both from a sonic and comfort POV.
I really would like to be able to find something better, because I love to try out new equipment, but I got tired of selling HPs on eBay biggrin.gif
post #84 of 156

Has anyone stuffed the ear pads to give their ears more depth? If so, what did you use, and how did it work out?

 

Does anyone that wears glasses find that the clamping pressure is too much?

 

Thanks.


Edited by Jim McC - 3/1/15 at 7:04pm
post #85 of 156

I've had 2 pairs of 7506 and I don't agree on the "built like tanks" statements at all.

 

One major issue is the coiled cable. What happens when you start to use the phones regularly is the cable starts to tangle upon itself. From the start of this happening it will pretty much always tangle up. Not only will it be a nuisance and you will find yourself untangling the cord all the time, but this puts major wear on the rubber on the cable. For me within, a year or so, I had a couple spots where the cable wore down to bare wire and started developing a short. It's not a big deal to people who like to mod and switch out cables, but to people like me who just want things to be well designed and just work for the long haul without major hassle...the cord is a deal breaker and I'd never buy another pair of 7506 again.

 

With the 2nd pair, well I had those as a back up pair. Kept them in the storage bag it comes with. They were in pristine condition. After some time I got fed up with my first pair and tossed them in the garbage. Then I went to grab the new pair and the left ear piece didn't work at all. I was pretty pissed off since they were in mint barely used condition, and worked fine when I first bought them. I don't think I even got an hour total of use out of those.

 

Needless to say, I have not boughten a pair of Sony headphones since, cause even when I look back since I was a teen, Sony headphones always seemed to break on me. The more expensive they got, the quicker and easier they broke.

 

I remember being in Junior High and saving up for the best Sony bud headphones I could for my discman, and they would start having issues within a week or two. Tried a few of the best buds available in store and kept having the same issues.

 

Honestly if I were to give anyone advice it would be just to stay away from Sony completely. Their headphones in general have a weird boxy lifeless compressed sound. If it isn't that, the highs or lows are boosted way too high to compensate for the lack of life in the sound.

post #86 of 156
So, they have boxy sound, they break part quickly, and you still bought two pairs of them? biggrin.gif

General advise to anyone looking into buy an HP (or anything, really).
Google it, and see what MOST of the people are reporting, For things like the 7506 especially, there is a LONG history of reviews around the Internet.
Then, when you finally got an idea and you are ready to pull the trigger, try to listen to them by yourself. Different ears hear different sounds, and this besides other people having different agenda to push (but those will get filtered out in the noise, if the sample rate of the reviews is high).
post #87 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIce View Post

So, they have boxy sound, they break part quickly, and you still bought two pairs of them? biggrin.gif

General advise to anyone looking into buy an HP (or anything, really).
Google it, and see what MOST of the people are reporting, For things like the 7506 especially, there is a LONG history of reviews around the Internet.
Then, when you finally got an idea and you are ready to pull the trigger, try to listen to them by yourself. Different ears hear different sounds, and this besides other people having different agenda to push (but those will get filtered out in the noise, if the sample rate of the reviews is high).

Whoa your horses there buddy. Looks like you took to criticism about the HP's a little personal, and decided to attack my character instead of my claims. Have a better read. Also, just cause you assumed you had a good opportunity to try and make someone look stupid doesn't mean that's the best course of action. It just makes you seem like you communicate without thinking first. I would write an essay explaining the exact situation for you to understand, but it's probably not worth my time.
Edited by LNuneek - 3/2/15 at 10:03am
post #88 of 156
Either you have another view of what an "attack" means, or you have gotten the sentences above in the wrong way.
The core of it, was to suggest users to do a broader research around the net (there is PLENTY of material on the 7506 on the net), especially when it comes to build quality of an HP which is typically made to undergo 10x the stress of a normal "home bound" HP.
Being them used in A LOT of studios, with sound technicians wearing them and sliding around the consoles with rolling chairs, if they were, like you claim, crap, they would not have been used and produced for the last 30 years.
post #89 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIce View Post

Either you have another view of what an "attack" means, or you have gotten the sentences above in the wrong way.
The core of it, was to suggest users to do a broader research around the net (there is PLENTY of material on the 7506 on the net), especially when it comes to build quality of an HP which is typically made to undergo 10x the stress of a normal "home bound" HP.
Being them used in A LOT of studios, with sound technicians wearing them and sliding around the consoles with rolling chairs, if they were, like you claim, crap, they would not have been used and produced for the last 30 years.

The reason why they are used in studios is because there is something they do well, and that is provide decent value for the buck. They are not the best alternative, but rather a more economic one when you need multiple pairs such as is common in studio use. They are also used a lot by professionals when they are specifically needing to focus on speech/vocals because of the very pronounced leanings towards high frequencies.

As far as research goes listening to the majority and being swayed by the fact that they really are used by professionals leads people away from possibly finding better alternatves for themselves. After all like you said they were designed 30 or whatever years ago, they became almost a tradition, but a lot of time has passed since and better HP's have been put on the market in a similar price range. Especially HP's that are more useful and accurate in the studio environment as well as having handy features like removeable cables.

Over the years I found the opinion of the seeming majority is wrong in most cases. It's the few critical (often over critical seeming) and detailed opinions that were much more useful in discerning the actual truth about the quality of a given product. I learned that the hard and pricey way, but no product is perfect anyways it's about wether the pros outweigh the cons, and for me the cons of the 7506 in this day and age make it a purchase I won't be making again.
post #90 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboe View Post
 

I've read posts all over the web about these being too bright.  However, the graph on HeadRoom makes them look incredibly neutral w/ no significant peaks. So either people are listening to poorly mastered source material or the graph is wrong (or possible variations between different 7506's?).

 

I'm looking for an affordable set of headphones at ~$100 w/ a neutral sound sig but I cannot stand bright headphones.  I've owned Grado SR60.  They are nice for the money but too colored across the spectrum. 

 

Are these worth the $ these days or are their better options?

 

For well over a year now,I have used Sony 7506's when playing my Korg keyboard and when tracking / recording through my Apogee Duet and Logic, and also occasionally for listening to music through my iPhone 5S.  They are very easy to drive, and yet high enough impedance (50-60 ohms IIRC) that the 30 ohms output impedance on the Duet and my Korg doesn't warp the spectrum much.  I find them to be comfortable and enjoyable and accurate / neutral.


To my ears, by far the most neutral and accurate sound reproducers I have ever owned (or heard) are the Etymotics ER-4S IEM's.  The 7506's don't reach that level of neutral.  The ER-4S's can justly be described as "incredibly neutral", (re: graphs, you need to understand that the one peak showing is there because it has to be, since it is an IEM, in order to reproduce the effect of the ear's outer geometry on the sound.)  The 7506's do not reach that level of neutrality.  BUT, to my ears they also have a tonal / spectral neutral presentation, which is why they are pretty much ubiquitous in the recording industry.  That and because they are durable, inexpensive, and REPAIRABLE.  Every single part is sold and available and can be purchased and replaced.  These are very repairable headphones.

So, they do have a neutral presentation, and are not colored like most of the Grados (and I love the Grado sound, btw--owned a pair of SR225's for many years--but it isn't what anyone would call neutral!  LOL!).

 

HOWEVER . . .

 

For listening to music, especially at high volumes, they are more fatiguing than many other (most other?) headphones.  If I resist the urge to push the volume all the way up to where I like it, and just keep it backed off just a LITTLE--just one click--then I can listen for as long as I like.  But, if I push it up that one last bit, there are SOME times--not always--but some times when I get fatigued by the upper mids to low-treble.  It's not brightness, exactly, more like harshness.  I think it has to do with the closed-back design and resonances?  Not sure, but many people find these to be very difficult to listen to for long periods of time.  Heck, I've even seen posts where head-fi'ers challenge others to listen to more than two songs in a row through these!  LOL!  I'm no where near in that camp.  And I can play my keyboard for hours on end with the 7506's with no ear fatigue or discomfort.  And wearing reading glasses is also comfortable.  Not as comfortable as my Sennheiser HD-595's, but comfortable enough.

 

I will also say that the bass can be a little boomy.  It's not exaggerated or anything, but it can be a little boomy in certain cases.  My all time favorite bass presentation is from my ER-4S's.  Very faithful to my ears.  But, it's very much down to personal taste and hearing differences and YMMV.

 

But, to sum up, I definitely recommend these.  For closed cans that are portable, durable, tonally accurate, and inexpensive, these are hard to beat.  I tried the ATH-M50's first, because they were said to be more "fun" to listen to, and I found them to be just awful.  WAY WAY WAAAY too much bass, and dark and muffled.  Playing piano patches on my Korg I was just aghast that anyone could consider the M50's as studio monitors!?!  DJ headphones?  Sure.  But anything even close to accurate?  No way.  I returned them and bought the 7506's, and when they came and I unpacked them and plugged them into my Korg Triton Extreme and played those first notes . . . ahhhhh . . . yes . . . . this is what I was looking for.

 

Legendary headphones.  I love mine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7506