Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Ground cable on a Pioneer turntable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ground cable on a Pioneer turntable?

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

I am wanting to hook my turntable up to my Bottlehead Crack, but the turntable has a ground cable. The ground cable is designed to be used with amps/recievers with a ground slot. The Crack doesn't have a ground slot. Is the TT still functional if I don't plug the ground cable into anything? Why does my TT have a ground cable, what is it used for? Will it affect audio quality if I don't plug the ground cable into anything?

post #2 of 31
Take a screw out of the amp and put the ground lug under it and put the screw back in.
post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Take a screw out of the amp and put the ground lug under it and put the screw back in.


Are you talking about the Crack? What is a ground lug? How would I put the ground cable into the Crack?

post #4 of 31
The amp body is grounded. If you attach your TT ground to the case, you should be good. Does your Ground wire have any termination on it or is it a bare wire?
post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

The amp body is grounded. If you attach your TT ground to the case, you should be good. Does your Ground wire have any termination on it or is it a bare wire?
 



When you say "case", do you mean the wooden outside part? I don't know about any termination or if it's a bare wire. It has the little horseshoe shaped metal piece on the end of it (I feel so stupid). So, let me get this straight, I would need to loosen a screw from the top of it, then slide the metal piece around the screw, and then tighten the screw?  

 

post #6 of 31
Correct. If you can find a screw or bolt that mounts to the metal plate, put your terminal lug (U shaped metal thingy) under the bolt or screw and that will ground the wire to the metal plate. What you are doing is making ground potential the same for both components by connecting the ground wire to the amp.
Edited by Happy Camper - 8/28/11 at 4:21pm
post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Correct. If you can find a screw or bolt that mounts to the metal plate, put your terminal lug (U shaped metal thingy) under the bolt or screw and that will ground the wire to the metal plate. What you are doing is making ground potential the same for both components by connecting the ground wire to the amp.


I am guessing that I would need to drill a hole in the metal plate to put the bolt in? Also, did I answer your question about the termination and bare wire? Do I have termination?

post #8 of 31

Only try the ground if you hear a hum. Otherwise you don't have to.

post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennheiserhd485 View Post





I am guessing that I would need to drill a hole in the metal plate to put the bolt in? Also, did I answer your question about the termination and bare wire? Do I have termination?


Yes, the U shaped thing is your terminal lug. If there is anything that is bolted down to the metal plate from the top, you can use it for your connection. If not, you could drill a hole and run a screw in so long as you don't hit anything underneath.
post #10 of 31
Thread Starter 

I am actually going to buy a phono preamp now. I read that it is required in a TT setup. Why didn't anyone tell me about buying a preamp?

The one that I am looking at has a GND connection.

 

http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp 

post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 

Anyone?

post #12 of 31

yes, a cartridge's output is to low (generally less than 5 mv - that's 0.005 volts) for most amps to handle directly, to put it into perspective most sources output well over 1 volt p-p. In addition the phono output needs to undergo a standard (nearly) EQ in order to have a correct tonal balance (The RIAA Phono EQ - google it). You also need to determine what type of cartridge you have so that you can buy an appropriate phono stage.

post #13 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post

yes, a cartridge's output is to low (generally less than 5 mv - that's 0.005 volts) for most amps to handle directly, to put it into perspective most sources output well over 1 volt p-p. In addition the phono output needs to undergo a standard (nearly) EQ in order to have a correct tonal balance (The RIAA Phono EQ - google it). You also need to determine what type of cartridge you have so that you can buy an appropriate phono stage.


Isn't there any kind of universal phono stage that is affordable?

post #14 of 31

define "affordable"

 

define "universal"

 

If you get a phono stage with a MM/MC switch it'll be "universal" as far as most are concerned,

 

I like the Cambridge Audio phono stages, affordable by most definitions.

post #15 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post

define "affordable"

 

define "universal"

 

If you get a phono stage with a MM/MC switch it'll be "universal" as far as most are concerned,

 

I like the Cambridge Audio phono stages, affordable by most definitions.



I just need one that would work with the cartridge, I don't know anything about the cartridge. I want one that would work with all cartridges. This is the one that I was considering earlier. Is it universal?

 

http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Ground cable on a Pioneer turntable?