Hi there, I'm a newcomer here in need of some help. Looking for a good headphone which is not too costly. I've never had a good headphones so looking to start somewhere. I tried the HD 202 at a store yesterday and I really liked the sound, not mindblowing but I think that's what I get for the money. Read some reviews of the Koss Portapro and from what I read, I quite liked it,even liked the design. These Headphones may be under £30 but if there's another headphone I really like I can go upto £50 ($80'ish ?). Some other phones I am looking at are the Senn PX-100/PX-200, AKG K450, HD4*8 series (but the reviews say not enough bass :/ ), Audio Technica ATH-WS55 ( though out of range, but if i get a good price I may go for it). I mainly listen to Metal and Rock and am not exactly a basshead but I like some good Bass present in the sound. Would be great if someone could help me. Been in the search for over 2 weeks now and it's getting a little frustrating now. Had bought ATH-M50 for £55 after reading the reviews only to find out they are fakes :/, in the process of a refund now. So please help this poor chap here. Thanks in advance.
- productAKG K 450 Premium Foldable Headphonetagged by System, 8/29/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productKoss KSC35tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productKoss PortaPro Headphones with Casetagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser HD 202 Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser PX200 Collapsible High-Performance Closed Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-450tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Going for the M50's Last post on 5/17/11 at 8:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- help a newbie! Last post on 9/5/10 at 9:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Noob looking for hi-fi Last post on 1/8/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
This amp has really sound quality , neutral side and wide soundstage . It could have a little more bass with bass boost switch but no complains here since i do prefer a neutral sound to get the...
HD 202 or Portapro or any other?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 58/28/11 at 11:11am
All M50s under about $100 are going to be fakes.
If you don't need portable, try out the Superlux series.
If you do need something a bit more portable, try these:
They're better sounding than Superluxes, but more expensive. They're designed a bit like the M50, physically.post #3 of 58/28/11 at 10:44pm
I have the KSC35 which use the same drivers as the Porta Pro, and they are more transparent, neutral and open sounding than my HD-202. But the HD-202 are more fun colored for rock music or movies and offer decent isolation.
Personally their both so cheap that you could get both. But I think the KSC35 come closer to a $70-100 Grado than a $40 headphone should. I put mine in a $1.99 partsexpress.com headband and don't use the ear clips.
The PX100 are a little darker sounding, like a mini version of HD650 without all the micro-detail. I think the 202 might be a little more fun sounding with cheap amps, but the PX100 do improve a bit with a good amp. Be careful, the PX100 has a lot of fakes out there.
I haven't heard a lot of the other phones in this price range. One that stands out is the Nuforce UF-30 which once it has a lot of burn-in sounds fairly transparent with a big soundstage, but with a little bit of a "U" shaped frequency response. But fortunately it doesn't have those honky sounding upper mids of the Grado SR-60 for the same price.post #4 of 58/28/11 at 11:26pm
My brother does all of his music production on HD 202s. I listened to them for a while and enjoyed the sound. It was bright sounding, with a sub bass roll off (probably around 70-100 hz) that was very noticeable when compared to my m50s. They did guitar and vocals very well.post #5 of 58/29/11 at 7:44amThread Starter
Yeah, learnt the lesson.
And thanks for all your suggestions. Does anyone know how are the HD 448's? is the bass that low? and what about 438's and 428's? Would anyone suggest JVC headphones?
- HD 202 or Portapro or any other?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 seconds ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 4-45 Thread 3 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 16 seconds ago
- › Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard 27 seconds ago
- › Replacement driver for Beyerdynamic DT235 56 seconds ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Almi's Logitech Z-5500 Mod (High-End upgrade for the speaker system) 3 minutes ago
- › New guy needs some help 3 minutes ago
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Fischer Audio Silver Bullets by AlfredKeppler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)