Hi there, I'm a newcomer here in need of some help. Looking for a good headphone which is not too costly. I've never had a good headphones so looking to start somewhere. I tried the HD 202 at a store yesterday and I really liked the sound, not mindblowing but I think that's what I get for the money. Read some reviews of the Koss Portapro and from what I read, I quite liked it,even liked the design. These Headphones may be under £30 but if there's another headphone I really like I can go upto £50 ($80'ish ?). Some other phones I am looking at are the Senn PX-100/PX-200, AKG K450, HD4*8 series (but the reviews say not enough bass :/ ), Audio Technica ATH-WS55 ( though out of range, but if i get a good price I may go for it). I mainly listen to Metal and Rock and am not exactly a basshead but I like some good Bass present in the sound. Would be great if someone could help me. Been in the search for over 2 weeks now and it's getting a little frustrating now. Had bought ATH-M50 for £55 after reading the reviews only to find out they are fakes :/, in the process of a refund now. So please help this poor chap here. Thanks in advance.
- itemAKG K 450 Premium Foldable Headphone
- itemAudio Technica ATH M50 Studio Monitor Headphones
- itemKoss KSC35
- itemKoss PortaPro Headphones With Case
- categoryOver Ear
- itemSennheiser HD 202 Headphones
- itemSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphones
- itemSennheiser PX200 Collapsible High Performance Closed Headphones Black
- itemUltrasone HFI 450
Related Forum Threads
- Going for the M50's Last post on 5/17/11 at 8:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- help a newbie! Last post on 9/5/10 at 9:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Noob looking for hi-fi Last post on 1/8/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
Related Head Gear
The VSD1 is the latest in a rather long line of budget in ear monitors including the VC02, GR99, GR02 and others that promises high quality sound for around $50 or so. While I haven’t had...
I tried a few Grado's —didn't like the Grado house sound—, a few Senn's —HD650 left a good impression—, a few lower-end AT's —I thought the AD700 were impressive for the price— and after reading...
In my recent quest for a new set of cans, I took a slight detour into the land of flashy prosumer headphones, in the form of the HK CL. The only reason I tried a pair was the price: half off,...
The Creative Aurvana Live! solved a major problem for me—how to listen to good audio while walking the dog at night. I live near a commercial and bar district in Center City, Philadelphia and I'm...
Okay..well this is my first review..if you may call it so..hence any,,amatuerish mistakes be forgiven..here we go.. So i saved some money(i'm always short of it) for the Vsonic gr02 be..after...
HD 202 or Portapro or any other?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 58/28/11 at 11:11am
All M50s under about $100 are going to be fakes.
If you don't need portable, try out the Superlux series.
If you do need something a bit more portable, try these:
They're better sounding than Superluxes, but more expensive. They're designed a bit like the M50, physically.post #3 of 58/28/11 at 10:44pm
I have the KSC35 which use the same drivers as the Porta Pro, and they are more transparent, neutral and open sounding than my HD-202. But the HD-202 are more fun colored for rock music or movies and offer decent isolation.
Personally their both so cheap that you could get both. But I think the KSC35 come closer to a $70-100 Grado than a $40 headphone should. I put mine in a $1.99 partsexpress.com headband and don't use the ear clips.
The PX100 are a little darker sounding, like a mini version of HD650 without all the micro-detail. I think the 202 might be a little more fun sounding with cheap amps, but the PX100 do improve a bit with a good amp. Be careful, the PX100 has a lot of fakes out there.
I haven't heard a lot of the other phones in this price range. One that stands out is the Nuforce UF-30 which once it has a lot of burn-in sounds fairly transparent with a big soundstage, but with a little bit of a "U" shaped frequency response. But fortunately it doesn't have those honky sounding upper mids of the Grado SR-60 for the same price.post #4 of 58/28/11 at 11:26pm
My brother does all of his music production on HD 202s. I listened to them for a while and enjoyed the sound. It was bright sounding, with a sub bass roll off (probably around 70-100 hz) that was very noticeable when compared to my m50s. They did guitar and vocals very well.post #5 of 58/29/11 at 7:44amThread Starter
Yeah, learnt the lesson.
And thanks for all your suggestions. Does anyone know how are the HD 448's? is the bass that low? and what about 438's and 428's? Would anyone suggest JVC headphones?
- HD 202 or Portapro or any other?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
- › Why does all my IEMs die? 3 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Philips Fidelio S2. Shockingly amazing... 22 seconds ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 + bass port (like new) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › ASUS Xonar DG crackling sound 2 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Flat4-Kuro (玄) appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › Heir Audio - The Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 5 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe