Hi there, I'm a newcomer here in need of some help. Looking for a good headphone which is not too costly. I've never had a good headphones so looking to start somewhere. I tried the HD 202 at a store yesterday and I really liked the sound, not mindblowing but I think that's what I get for the money. Read some reviews of the Koss Portapro and from what I read, I quite liked it,even liked the design. These Headphones may be under £30 but if there's another headphone I really like I can go upto £50 ($80'ish ?). Some other phones I am looking at are the Senn PX-100/PX-200, AKG K450, HD4*8 series (but the reviews say not enough bass :/ ), Audio Technica ATH-WS55 ( though out of range, but if i get a good price I may go for it). I mainly listen to Metal and Rock and am not exactly a basshead but I like some good Bass present in the sound. Would be great if someone could help me. Been in the search for over 2 weeks now and it's getting a little frustrating now. Had bought ATH-M50 for £55 after reading the reviews only to find out they are fakes :/, in the process of a refund now. So please help this poor chap here. Thanks in advance.
- productAKG K 450 Premium Foldable Headphonetagged by System, 8/29/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productKoss KSC35tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productKoss PortaPro Headphones with Casetagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser HD 202 Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser PX200 Collapsible High-Performance Closed Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-450tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Going for the M50's Last post on 5/17/11 at 8:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- help a newbie! Last post on 9/5/10 at 9:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Noob looking for hi-fi Last post on 1/8/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Sound Blaster X G5 The Gaming device with everything* we asked for A Little Context The G5 is part of Creative's "Blaster X" gamer focused line, cued after the name of the X7. I loved the...
Intro TL;DR: The Brainwavz XF200 is, in and of itself, an excellent sports IEM that will go the extra mile with you and then some. Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora...
I must first and foremost give a large and heartfelt thank you to secondipity for reaching out to me and asking if I would be interested in reviewing some products offered by them. This is...
ZMF OMNI - REVIEW Zach and Luke are Ortho Docs Disclaimer: No mercy… though the Omni is merciful I really think the Omni can hold up to scrutiny very well. While I have been a long time...
HD 202 or Portapro or any other?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 58/28/11 at 11:11am
All M50s under about $100 are going to be fakes.
If you don't need portable, try out the Superlux series.
If you do need something a bit more portable, try these:
They're better sounding than Superluxes, but more expensive. They're designed a bit like the M50, physically.post #3 of 58/28/11 at 10:44pm
I have the KSC35 which use the same drivers as the Porta Pro, and they are more transparent, neutral and open sounding than my HD-202. But the HD-202 are more fun colored for rock music or movies and offer decent isolation.
Personally their both so cheap that you could get both. But I think the KSC35 come closer to a $70-100 Grado than a $40 headphone should. I put mine in a $1.99 partsexpress.com headband and don't use the ear clips.
The PX100 are a little darker sounding, like a mini version of HD650 without all the micro-detail. I think the 202 might be a little more fun sounding with cheap amps, but the PX100 do improve a bit with a good amp. Be careful, the PX100 has a lot of fakes out there.
I haven't heard a lot of the other phones in this price range. One that stands out is the Nuforce UF-30 which once it has a lot of burn-in sounds fairly transparent with a big soundstage, but with a little bit of a "U" shaped frequency response. But fortunately it doesn't have those honky sounding upper mids of the Grado SR-60 for the same price.post #4 of 58/28/11 at 11:26pm
My brother does all of his music production on HD 202s. I listened to them for a while and enjoyed the sound. It was bright sounding, with a sub bass roll off (probably around 70-100 hz) that was very noticeable when compared to my m50s. They did guitar and vocals very well.post #5 of 58/29/11 at 7:44amThread Starter
Yeah, learnt the lesson.
And thanks for all your suggestions. Does anyone know how are the HD 448's? is the bass that low? and what about 438's and 428's? Would anyone suggest JVC headphones?
- HD 202 or Portapro or any other?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 2 minutes ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Pleneu M 4 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC 5 minutes ago
- › LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - the coming wave! The AES67 and AVB Ethernet... 8 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 9 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Truss - The All Metal Under Desk Dual Headphone Hanger... by Wokei
- › Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G5 by Evshrug
- › Brainwavz XFIT XF-200 In-Ear Sport Earbuds Noise Isolating... by thatBeatsguy
- › SONY MDRZX330BT/B Sony MDR ZX330BT - Headset - on-ear - wireless -... by Army-Firedawg
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by grizzlybeast
- › Schiit Gungnir by Aornic
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by meringo
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Aerosphere
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by FortisFlyer75
- › Unique Melody UM Maestro 12 driver IEM by shotgunshane
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse