Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Buying Headphones (over ear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying Headphones (over ear)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello Head Fi forum. I'm very new to all this audiophile technology and headphones and I am looking at upgrading to a new pair of headphones. My current pair if headphones are the HD 25 ii's, but I currently don't use an amp and I use them directly from my ipod (5th gen ipod video, I heard they have the best driver out of all current ipods).

 

I really want a good sounding, semi portable headphone. I like over ear, just personal preference, and it must have good noise cancellation because I use these on the go all the time. The bulk of music on my ipod is electronic, but I do listen to pretty much all genres. I would like some bass, I liked the bass on the 25's, but don't keep this from recommending me another headphone. I also am upgrading to a portable amp once I get some new headphones so I would like one that would benefit from an amp, because I have heard that the 25's won't benefit as much as other headphones would. I plan on spending around 200-350$, but I can spend more if needed, because I want to really hear a noticeable difference in sound quality from my 25's.

 

I also am looking at portable amps, and I am going to make a thread there, but if you can recommend one for around 100-200$ in this thread that would be good too.

 

Thanks in advance :)

post #2 of 13

Shure 940

Won't need a amp, but would benefit later to one. Bright sound would give you a little less bass but makes up more then ever with overall sound quality. HERE for $209 (add to cart). Cups swivel down and they fold up for storage

 

Denon Ah-D2000

Might be at the top end of your price range, but doesn't need a amp and would give you a more bass response that you might be looking for. Great overall sound also, but do sound boring to my ears. Also don't fold or cups don't swivel so very rare outdoor use.

 

Grado SR225i or SR325i with 3.55 Grado adapter cable

Bright sound like Shure, Open, that I like when going portable so you don't get run over by cars you can't hear. Don't need a amp and cups swivel to fold flat. Also my favorite aroudn neck.

post #3 of 13

Personally I think upgrading from the HD-25 wouldn't really be an upgrade, more of a sidegrade.  The HD-25 are quite legendary, and for good reason.  They're durable, portable and they sound good to boot.  I mean you could get the Beyerdynamic 1350's but they're not necessarily that much better per se.  Instead, I think it'd be more prudent to spend that money on a better portable amp.  Around 300 is the sweet spot for portable amps.  Depending on what you want you could choose between the Arrow, TTVJ slim, P-51, Hornet, etc.  I think you'd gain more benefit from that and plus a high quality LOD than really "upgrading" your cans.

post #4 of 13

@BotBye

OP wants isolating cans therefore Grado's aren't going to cut it.  They're all open.  Also, the AHD-2000 aren't really portable at all, so that also wont' do the job for OP.  And the Shure 940's well actually to be honest I don't really know much about them but I definitely don't think they'd be driven to full potential if with the kind of amps OP is buying. 


Edited by ChorusofAngels - 8/28/11 at 10:12am
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Grado SR225i or SR325i with 3.55 Grado adapter cable

Bright sound like Shure, Open, that I like when going portable so you don't get run over by cars you can't hear. Don't need a amp and cups swivel to fold flat. Also my favorite aroudn neck.

I'm liking the Grado's, know anything about the sound leakage?
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by ChorusofAngels View Post

Personally I think upgrading from the HD-25 wouldn't really be an upgrade, more of a sidegrade.  The HD-25 are quite legendary, and for good reason.  They're durable, portable and they sound good to boot.  I mean you could get the Beyerdynamic 1350's but they're not necessarily that much better per se.  Instead, I think it'd be more prudent to spend that money on a better portable amp.  Around 300 is the sweet spot for portable amps.  Depending on what you want you could choose between the Arrow, TTVJ slim, P-51, Hornet, etc.  I think you'd gain more benefit from that and plus a high quality LOD than really "upgrading" your cans.

I feel like I'm not getting the clarity out of my music with these headphones, I plan on buying a few cd's and making lossless audio, but I still don't know if its my cans or the music that isn't giving me the quality I want.
 

 

post #6 of 13

If your audio's past about 256 it's not going to make a significant difference based on my experiences.  Maybe if I listen hard I could discern different bit rates but it's a definite challenge, and I'd find it probably impossible with your kind of set-up.  The effects of converting up to lossless are overhypted IMO.  If you just want clarity would you be opposed to considering some IEM's?  I love my re-262's personally. 

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChorusofAngels View Post

If your audio's past about 256 it's not going to make a significant difference based on my experiences.  Maybe if I listen hard I could discern different bit rates but it's a definite challenge, and I'd find it probably impossible with your kind of set-up.  The effects of converting up to lossless are overhypted IMO.  If you just want clarity would you be opposed to considering some IEM's?  I love my re-262's personally. 


I really haven't had any experience at all with IEM's, but I've heard buying IEM's around the same price as a full sized headphone wont yield the same quality, which I felt was to be expected from something so small, but I feel like if I got an IEM I would kind of be downgrading in terms of sound quality but pretty much everything else would be better.

 

post #8 of 13




 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by JesDaMess View Post



I'm liking the Grado's, know anything about the sound leakage?
 

 



I feel like I'm not getting the clarity out of my music with these headphones, I plan on buying a few cd's and making lossless audio, but I still don't know if its my cans or the music that isn't giving me the quality I want.
 

 


 The sound leakage is a fair amount. Basically, the outside world will hear what you're listening to at almost the same volume. I can reccomend them for Clarity, but not isolation or true portability. :)

 

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

I guess I'll just try getting a portable amp and some lossless audio. I guess since the HD 25 basically suits all my needs I won't need to buy any new cans. Thanks anyway guys.

post #10 of 13
If you're looking for a portable amp get the FiiO E5 or E6.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

What about the cable, I've heard upgrading it may be a good idea, but I plan on getting about a 100-200$ portable amp, so I'm wondering what may be the most cost effective way of upgrading the sound.

post #12 of 13

Hey, I would recommend the fiio e11 for a great budget choice

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl1dyl View Post

Hey, I would recommend the fiio e11 for a great budget choice


I was actually looking into that one a lot, but right now its down to the e11 and the PV2V2. I'm currently siding with the V2 with overall more positive reviews, at only 5 dollars more. I heard the fiio also has problems regarding a hissing noise in the background.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Buying Headphones (over ear)