Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) - Page 113

post #1681 of 2067

Recently got a pair of DJ1's, mainly for portable use. Never had Ultrasone's before and I was a bit sceptical about the treble which they're apparently notorious for. Only had the chance to give them a couple of hours listening time so far, but first impressions are quite good actually, I'm pleasantly surprised. The seal is good, bass is tight and punchy, treble is sparkly but not as fatiguing as I was afraid of. They look quite flimsy in many pictures in my opinion, but in reality they're very sturdy built, seems like they can take a lot of punishment. They are also easily driven by my cellphone alone. So far so good.

 

post #1682 of 2067

I have a pair of PRO 750 for sale if anyone is interested. Looking for a quick sale so grab a deal!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645921/ultrasone-pro-750-like-new

post #1683 of 2067

Hello everybody, i just got a question and I think this is the right place to ask it.

 

I'm in a adventure to find the right headphones for me, and Ultrasone has gotten my attention.

 

I started some time ago with the Sony MDR-V150, those were my first headphones and I liked them, after a year of so changed to the Sennheiser HD 203 which I liked a lot, but I just wasn't satisfied, NOW I WANTED MORE, so I kept searching and that's how I got here, to head-fi.

 
I read tdockweiler post about the Koss PRO DJ100 and I was so amazed on his praises to those 'phones that I just couldn't resist and bought ones...
 
That was the biggest mistake of my life (talking about purchases of course) I just didn't liked anything about them, those were VERY uncomfortable for me, there was ABSOLUTELY  NO BASS and the soundstage which I needed for gaming was almost as non existent as the BASS.
 
Luckily I was able to return them to BestBuy and get my $90 back.
 
Now I'm looking for new cans and I've heard (and by that I mean read) that most Ultrasone's 'phones offer some sweet BASS, nice/good/decent mids, a little harshing highs (which can be tamed with BURN-IN), and above average soundstage for a closed design.
 

The question is, which one should I get?

 

I'm going to use them, for everything... And that is:

GAMING: I spend a lot of time playing FPS, right now most of the time i'm playing Black Ops 2, hearing my enemy FOOTSTEPS is a must.

MUSIC: I don't listen to any specified genre but I usually listen to electronic music (dubstep, DnB & Electro House).

MOVIES

 

I'm NOT doing any monitoring or mixing.

 

I'll be powering them with a FiiO E6 which will be arriving to my home in a month or so. I'll be using my iPod Touch 4 LOD and my Xbox 360 RCA (red and white) audio output.

 

I got the HFI-680 ($133) and the HFI-2400 ($189) in mind, are they good enough  for electronic music? Is the HFI-680 good enough for gaming and electronic music?

 

The HFI-680 price is just <3.

 

Well if you are still here reading this BIG post the only thing I can say is thank you for your interest and I would love to see some replies.

 

Saludos desde Mexico.

 

I moved this post to a new thread.


Edited by crossmxn - 1/19/13 at 1:56am
post #1684 of 2067

The HFI-240 might be a better idea in your case.  Open headphones tend to have better imaging and noise placement.  At least that's my take on it when comparing my HFI-580 to my Sennheiser 598. 

post #1685 of 2067

Received my new Aune T1 yesterday for use with my Pro 900's (and eventually Signature Pro). For about the first half hour I didn't notice a drastic improvement from my FiiO E17. Then at some point (while listening to Bach's Art of Fugue) everything just MADE SENSE. I don't know how better to describe it, but the sound resolved itself with my ears and became so relaxing I ended up taking a nap. Yes, I believe I just called the Pro 900's relaxing. normal_smile%20.gif A first time for everything!

 

In short, the Aune produced the following effects:

 

-smoothed out the sound, including high end

-the listener feels the bass more so than hearing it

-greater definition of inner voices, countermelodic lines, and other "small touches"

-opened the soundstage noticeably and improved instrument placement

-added a pretty lighted tube to my room bigsmile_face.gif

 

Unfortunately, I already broke one of the feet on one of the acrylic tube guards. There is an extra, but I'll have to persuade the broken bit out of the hole. Also I am using the improved stock 6922 tube, which I will probably replace later. My setup is not very pretty (it's sitting on a popcorn tin next to the couch I usually listen on) or I would take a picture. wink_face.gif

 

If there are any Ultrasone fans looking for a decently priced desktop amp, I can definitely recommend the Aune T1. Depending on where you order from, the wait can be annoying, but it complements 'sones really well.

EDIT: A friend of mine is picking up some Sennheiser 558's today, and my other friend with the Alienware Ozma (HFI-700's) will be there as well. I will post some comparisons, just for fun!


Edited by Levaix - 1/22/13 at 12:15pm
post #1686 of 2067

Sorry for the double post... But I just ordered my Signature Pro's. bigsmile_face.gif

 

My friend hasn't picked up his Sennheisers yet. I will definitely post some mega-comparisons between everything I have available when the SP's arrive. (SP, HE-500 demos, PRO 900, HD558, and HFI 700).

 

EXCITEMENT!

post #1687 of 2067
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levaix View Post

Sorry for the double post... But I just ordered my Signature Pro's. bigsmile_face.gif

 

My friend hasn't picked up his Sennheisers yet. I will definitely post some mega-comparisons between everything I have available when the SP's arrive. (SP, HE-500 demos, PRO 900, HD558, and HFI 700).

 

EXCITEMENT!

 

Congratz on your SP's Levaix....beerchug.gif

 

I'm giving the PRO550s a little love tonight with a blast from the past.  My Zhaolu 2.5C.  Second DAC I purchased on Head-Fi (late 2006 or early 2007)...

 

That Aune seems great.  I have a couple 6922s & 6DJ8s that would like to welcome her to the household but I must resist...For now...biggrin.gif

 

Good times!!!

 

Cheers!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1688 of 2067

man, i'm joining this club :):)

i'm NOT an audiophile, but i love my music.  so my first ultrasone purchase was the hfi 15 and i LOVED the sound...very personal. so i decided to get the 450's just for something bigger.

 

based on the link to dave rat's test of the 780 and 680 i decided to get the 680. amazon was selling a refurb LIKE NEW for $109. like new for amazon usually means no play, just a return. so i bought 'em. i get the cans and they're actually 780's. well i didn't want those, and when i went to the amazon site, the refurbed 680 was no longer there,,,just brand new ones.so when i told amazon my problem, they offered to exchange the 780's they sent for what they had left,,,,BRAND NEW 680's at my original cost which was $24 less than what they're selling for at amazon now, which is $133.

 

hope they're good,,,but i will endure. gotta love the amazon customer care


Edited by miltk - 1/31/13 at 9:08pm
post #1689 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittis View Post

Recently got a pair of DJ1's, mainly for portable use. Never had Ultrasone's before and I was a bit sceptical about the treble which they're apparently notorious for. Only had the chance to give them a couple of hours listening time so far, but first impressions are quite good actually, I'm pleasantly surprised. The seal is good, bass is tight and punchy, treble is sparkly but not as fatiguing as I was afraid of. They look quite flimsy in many pictures in my opinion, but in reality they're very sturdy built, seems like they can take a lot of punishment. They are also easily driven by my cellphone alone. So far so good.

 

 

I've had mine for over a year and I love them, but I find that they hurt my ears after about four hours of constant listening.  One thing I can say is they kick HARD when EQ'd properly :D  If only these were more comfortable....I'd never look for another headphone.

post #1690 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post

I've had mine for over a year and I love them, but I find that they hurt my ears after about four hours of constant listening.  One thing I can say is they kick HARD when EQ'd properly :D  If only these were more comfortable....I'd never look for another headphone.

 

Sounds like they are resting somewhat on your ears? What about getting one of the velour padded models like the PRO 750? They have large velour pads that easily fit all the way around my ears and I've never had comfort issues even after many hours.

post #1691 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

Sounds like they are resting somewhat on your ears? What about getting one of the velour padded models like the PRO 750? They have large velour pads that easily fit all the way around my ears and I've never had comfort issues even after many hours.

 

I thought those reduced the impact of the bass?

post #1692 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post

I thought those reduced the impact of the bass?

The 2400 and 2900 do not want for bass impact - I can tell you that much. I haven't heard either of the DJ series headphones, maybe they hit even harder, but the 2900 are honestly enough bass impact for any two people imho (2400 have a lot of bass too, but they're less refined). I also think the circular earpads, by themselves, should improve comfort (just a larger overall contact area with the head, unless you have really big ears).
Edited by obobskivich - 2/1/13 at 10:48am
post #1693 of 2067
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltk View Post

man, i'm joining this club :):)

i'm NOT an audiophile, but i love my music.  so my first ultrasone purchase was the hfi 15 and i LOVED the sound...very personal. so i decided to get the 450's just for something bigger.

 

based on the link to dave rat's test of the 780 and 680 i decided to get the 680. amazon was selling a refurb LIKE NEW for $109. like new for amazon usually means no play, just a return. so i bought 'em. i get the cans and they're actually 780's. well i didn't want those, and when i went to the amazon site, the refurbed 680 was no longer there,,,just brand new ones.so when i told amazon my problem, they offered to exchange the 780's they sent for what they had left,,,,BRAND NEW 680's at my original cost which was $24 less than what they're selling for at amazon now, which is $133.

 

hope they're good,,,but i will endure. gotta love the amazon customer care

 

Congratz & welcome....beerchug.gif

post #1694 of 2067

Well I guess it's my turnL3000.gif

 

I listen to mostly EDM and I searched around Head-Fi for a couple of weeks trying to find out which headphone was best for me, I knew that bass was one of the most important factors for me followed by good detail. Originally I got the HFI-780 with the O2 amp. Now this headphone is seriously engaging, it feels like you are on stage and I can see how some would absolutely hate it. I didn't give these headphone a full burn in before I returned them because I felt like I wouldn't be satisfied with them regardless because of the lack of bass, however they did sound amazing for gaming.

 

I decided that I would upgrade to the Pro 900 without an amp to see what all the hype was about.

 

HOLY SH*T. These headphones take you a few rows back and absolutely murder your soul with clarity and bass, especially at night. I find them really addicting and hard to take off, dubstep has never sounded so good. I have them plugged into a Xonar DX which makes them sound a heck of a lot better than my Iphone. The instrument separation on them is great and I really dig S-logic. Check out some Massive Attack and melt away into bliss. Out of the box the bass was bloated and a little muddy but it didn't take long for the bass to tighten up alot and show its true character.

 

You almost have to listen to 320/Flac or you wont get to hear their potential. I'm really happy that I''m satisfied with them unamped for now, but I'm ready to be blown away when I amp them properly. I was thinking of getting the E11/PAV2 or waiting for the E12 to come out next March.

 

Pro 900 >>>> HFI 780 for EDM hands down.

 

Just wanted to add that I have really bright speakers in my car so these cans don't sound overly bright to me however sibilance is there in some songs but mostly has to do with the recording IMO. I usually have long listening sessions sometimes 6+ hours and I never have ringing in my ears, it's quite awesome.

 

For some reason the Pro 900 sounds better some days more than others (I'm still in the burn-in face). Today is a good day and I can't take them off. darthsmile.gif

 

I recommend you listen to Infected Mushrooms (Godlike on the pro 900)/Rusko/Massive Attack. Happy listening!


Edited by LustLoveLuck - 2/2/13 at 2:00pm
post #1695 of 2067

Congrats to newcomers ! beerchug.gif
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)