How about the HFI-580? I want whichever one will give me the greatest bass response, while still retaining clarity in the mids and highs. I'veheard the 580 is awesome for EDM, but I've also heard the same thing for the 780.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 7tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 9tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productULTRASONE HFI 2200 ULEtagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-680tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 8/29/11More
- productUltrasone PRO 650tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productULTRASONE PROline 2500tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Signature DJtagged by Craigster75, 2/4/13
- productUltrasone Signature Protagged by System, 4/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [SOLD] FS: Ultrasone Pro 2900 Last post on 9/23/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which high-end for trance? Last post on 8/12/12 at 4:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I've had the pleasure of listening to most of DUNU Topsound's hybrid earphones (DN1000, 2000...
Read the full review here! http://www.head-fi.org/t/809194/review-t-peos-rasiel
you'll hear what the musicians wanted their music to be sounded like. Well-balanced. Design is not so good as my friend's jh 13 but he had repaired his connector twice. only bad thing is that the...
I am a big fan of overachieving gear of any kind. What I mean by overachieving is the “they sound way too good for the price” factor. This is a highly subjective mindset because the worth of...
Full review of the Asura 2, Zen 2 & Duke here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/809154/review-venture-electronics-ve-asura-2-0-zen-2-0-duke-a-new-path-to-high-end-sound Sound: The...
Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) - Page 104post #1546 of 214612/16/12 at 7:42am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1547 of 214612/16/12 at 7:49amQuote:
idk about clarity, but I do know the louder counterpart to the HFI-580, DJ1, hurt my ears at high volumes because of the treble & highs. They're amazing for EDM but they tend to hurt a little after a while.post #1548 of 214612/16/12 at 8:24am
The HFI-580 (as well as the louder counterpart, the DJ1) have a less refined presentation when compared to the HFI-780, but do have a stronger bass presence, and handle EDM quite nicely, as just about all Ultrasones do, regardless of model differences.
For EDM alone, the HFI-580/DJ1 might be a better option, while the HFI-780 handles a wider range of genres due to being more balanced.post #1549 of 214612/16/12 at 9:19ampost #1550 of 214612/16/12 at 9:34am
Either the HFI-580/DJ1 or the HFI-780 are good headphones for your preferences, but I stand by my recommendation of the Pro 900. Avoid getting multiple lower-end headphones and dive right in. If you don't like them, you can always return them, but at least you'll know how you feel about the headphones.post #1551 of 214612/16/12 at 10:04ampost #1552 of 214612/16/12 at 10:11ampost #1553 of 214612/16/12 at 10:23amQuote:
I wouldn't worry that much about a DtoA or amplifier - especially if you're going with a stand-alone CDP (a lot of them have very good headphone drivers built-in!) - IMHO DACs tend to be a great way to burn cash, and unless you're getting something esoteric, they tend to do fairly little to the sound (up or down); focus on the cans and a good CDP or whatever else "music thing."Quote:
I agree with this. The PRO2900 aren't as recessed as some cans, but they certainly aren't "mid forward" - I'm reminded of John Grado saying that you can't have a wide soundstage and intimate mids, and the PRO2900 are probably the closest I've heard to defying that. Which is saying something.Quote:
I'd agree with this too though. The 2400 aren't as refined/sophisticated as the 2900, and that's one of a few things the 2900 improves upon.post #1554 of 214612/16/12 at 11:23amQuote:Originally Posted by obobskivich
I wouldn't worry that much about a DtoA or amplifier - especially if you're going with a stand-alone CDP (a lot of them have very good headphone drivers built-in!) - IMHO DACs tend to be a great way to burn cash, and unless you're getting something esoteric, they tend to do fairly little to the sound (up or down); focus on the cans and a good CDP or whatever else "music thing."
I agree with this. The PRO2900 aren't as recessed as some cans, but they certainly aren't "mid forward" - I'm reminded of John Grado saying that you can't have a wide soundstage and intimate mids, and the PRO2900 are probably the closest I've heard to defying that. Which is saying something.
I'd agree with this too though. The 2400 aren't as refined/sophisticated as the 2900, and that's one of a few things the 2900 improves upon.
Could you point me towards a good CDP? I have been looking at the Onyko C-7030. Also I need the D to A to bypass my computer soundcard and the amp to allow me to listen to music through my computer.
Oh and Roller I have an Ipod Classic and a Fiio E11 with the L9 LOD. But as I have previously stated I will be investing in a good system for my house soon.
Edited by chuckle490 - 12/16/12 at 11:24ampost #1555 of 214612/16/12 at 11:42am
Well, you already have entry-level amping, so it's not so much a concern. Do keep in mind the Pro 900 do scale up nicely with better gear, so you'll reap more benefits after upgrading.post #1556 of 214612/16/12 at 12:30pmThread Starter
That's why I love this place.....The diversity is amazing and it's what makes it great...Ultrasone fits the bill perfectly ("I love the PRO-900, I hate the PRO-900", the PRO-750s are horrible, no they're great, the HFI-780s are uncomfortable, no they're not, I sleep with them on"...lol....etc....)
It's a beautiful thing...Can you imagine this place if everyone liked and disliked the same things? A little boring, I'm guessing...
See chuckle, if you can't demo a pair of 'Sones all you can do is read, research, read, research. Get different opinions, read threads bashing Ultrasones as well as praising them...Then when you think you got it down, read and research some more in case you missed something the first time around.
At the end of the day, what matters most when purchasing is YOUR wallet and YOUR ears...
Now, let's say you pull the trigger on the PRO-900s and you love them. They are exactly what you hoped for and then some and you can't stop listening to them...
You have a big smile on your face and Alex's music is pumpin' and you've never heard it so good before......
But, wait..all of a sudden you read a thread about someone saying they are the worst phones on the planet and they would not pay $50 for them yada, yada, yada...Are you going to like them less now because you read that thread......Of course not...You'll keep on enjoying them regardless and recommending them to others so they can make up their own mind...
What it all boils down to is- some people like a certain sound and some don't....That's it...Everyone is correct because preferences and tastes vary from individual to individual...
Just got a workout from writing all that....
Like Bob mentioned earlier, I'm one in the minority in reference to collecting Ultrasones. My collection was completed 3-4 years ago. I love their sig and I enjoyed the journey in attaining them and the music I listen to enjoys them as well...lol............
Cheers!!!post #1557 of 214612/16/12 at 1:12pm
Beautiful post mate! Haha I think I have made up my mind on the pro 900, thanks for all of the help you guys! I'll probably order them in 3 weeks or so, just got to save a little longer. Cheers!post #1558 of 214612/16/12 at 1:33pm
Hi, just had to pull the trigger in the bay.... shot a mint PRO-900 for 252 € to complete my collection. All the bad comments got me mighty curious
The next I did was to put my HD 650 for sale... they are so boring and kinda unexciting compared to my PRO-2900 yes even to my PRO-550 which is much more laid back than the PRO 2900.
I will report my impressions soon...post #1559 of 214612/17/12 at 2:20pmAs far as CDPs go - I personally really like the Digifine models from JVC (mid to late 1980s), but they don't offer external inputs. There's plenty of other great options if you dig around for used equipment - JVC is just one good choice (but you should also give a look at Yamaha, Sony (and imho yes the "audiophile PlayStation" is a nice player), Denon, and so on - I'd also take a gander at Laserdisc players with CD playback abilities (***not all LD players will play CDs***), as many of them were TOTL hardware in their day, and most people these days can't GIVE them away, because nobody has Laserdisc anymore (good examples here are usually always Pioneers, many of which were rebranded and sold by other makers too (like Yamaha)). Computer wise, it depends on what you want - personally I'd go with an internal soundcard, but that may or may not be possible or desirable in your situation.
I agree with heatfan on the preferences thing 100%.post #1560 of 214612/18/12 at 2:32pm
- Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 5 seconds ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › INCREDIBLE!! THE YOUNGER SIBLING OF PROJECT SUNRISE 2--THE NEW... 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 3 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 4 minutes ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 5 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 5 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2002 by Brooko
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by kimvictor
- › Westone ES 5 by Xu Tianyi
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Aornic
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) the Duke by Zelda
- › Hisoundaudio HSA-H200 Pro by mark2410
- › Brainwavz Hooka by Wokei
- › FiiO RM1 Bluetooth Remote Controller by kdub
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...