are the pro 750 the black sheep? there is hardly a mention of them in here....
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 7tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Edition 9tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productULTRASONE HFI 2200 ULEtagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-680tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 8/29/11More
- productUltrasone PRO 650tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productULTRASONE PROline 2500tagged by System, 8/29/11
- productUltrasone Signature DJtagged by Craigster75, 2/4/13
- productUltrasone Signature Protagged by System, 4/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [SOLD] FS: Ultrasone Pro 2900 Last post on 9/23/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which high-end for trance? Last post on 8/12/12 at 4:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of this review, the iFi micro iDSD, iFi nano Gemini cable and iFi nano iUSB3.0 was for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are links for the purchase of these three...
These so far dethroned all my top headphones. Deeper more natural bass than the M50X, or the HE-400, better 3d imaging, and speed than the AD900x, better comfort than the DT990pro. Mine is...
Introduction I was able to demo the PM-3 for a week as part of OPPO's loaner program. This is the second OPPO loaner I've tried (also auditioned the PM-1), and once again I'd like to thank Chris...
For the money they are extremely comfortable, sound great plugged into my Onkyo TX-8255 receiver playing either music or watching videos from my pc through the Onkyo. I know you can spend many...
Intro: I'm not all too technical about sound (which explains only the bass/mid/treble; I still need to add my thoughts on soundstage though). It's pretty much whether I like a product or I...
Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) - Page 92
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1367 of 214611/20/12 at 8:36amQuote:
You don't like those, I think they look great!
I was thinking more of the exact same cup as the current HFI series possibly with a little thicker base.
Definitely would have to be made in two pieces, a bottom oval with a cup part attached, then sanded and lacquered as one piece.
I shall look into this with the father in law who has an older wood lathe, but I'm thinking a metal lathe would give a more precise build as the base is not very thick.post #1368 of 214611/20/12 at 8:55am
Eh, they're okay looking, but they don't stack up to the ATH-W or ESW series, Grado RS or GS series, or the Edition series imho. I think if you took the Edition 7/9 frame and did a generous wood inlay (so more wood than the Edition 10 has, proportionally), it would end up looking more in-line with Ultrasone's industrial/deco aesthetic. If that makes sense.post #1369 of 214611/20/12 at 9:09am
Curiously, Edition 7 and 9 are closer in design to the HFI-780 than either Edition 8 and 10, as well as the Pro series. However, most woodie lovers seem to prefer larger and more uniform cups, which is why I'm not sure Edition 7 and 9 cup styling would fit nicely with a woodie mod.post #1370 of 214611/20/12 at 9:12am
Yes makes sense, but that though is far above and beyond my skill level.
Edited by TrollDragon - 11/20/12 at 9:14ampost #1371 of 214611/20/12 at 4:45pmpost #1372 of 214611/20/12 at 5:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by obobskivich
Yikes, those have shot back up indeed!
I haven't heard the DJ1, but I can tell you that the PRO2900 are unforgiving (I wouldn't say "harsh") - if the recording has lots of clash and trash in it, they will bring that out. But if the recording is smooth, they will be smooth. This means that distortion type music, like VibesquaD, can bring tears to your eyes, but smoother music, like FSOL is smooth as glass. IMHO they're comfortable headphones - they don't heat up, they aren't overly clampy (after breaking them in); I can very easily wear them for hours on end.
In terms of their improvement over ~$100-$200 headphones, like all higher end cans, I will say that it isn't a linear relationship but they are better. If that makes any sense. So I would expect you to hear improvements, but in terms of it smacking you in the face with "wow, this is three or four times better!" - I doubt that very much. That doesn't mean they're a bad buy though.
I wouldn't say "three or four times better" (if I could even give it a number value at all), but the 2900 was noticeably much better out of the box than my HFI-580 had been. Clarity and soundstage positioning were a huge improvement. It was almost a smack in the face, anyway. It was only $375 when I got it in the summer.Quote:
Perhaps that's something you should have looked into before ordering it? It's way better, IMO.post #1373 of 214611/20/12 at 6:13pmQuote:
Let's just say that it's both more detailed and quite more impactfulpost #1374 of 214611/20/12 at 6:40pmpost #1375 of 214611/20/12 at 10:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by Roller
Curiously, Edition 7 and 9 are closer in design to the HFI-780 than either Edition 8 and 10, as well as the Pro series. However, most woodie lovers seem to prefer larger and more uniform cups, which is why I'm not sure Edition 7 and 9 cup styling would fit nicely with a woodie mod.
If I remember correctly, more or less all Ultrasone models from the early part of the 2000s looked like that; the HFI-700 is a prime example.Quote:
Hey man, we're talking about a headphone that originally retailed for around $4000. Exotic is the name of the game.Quote:Originally Posted by macrocheesium
I wouldn't say "three or four times better" (if I could even give it a number value at all), but the 2900 was noticeably much better out of the box than my HFI-580 had been. Clarity and soundstage positioning were a huge improvement. It was almost a smack in the face, anyway. It was only $375 when I got it in the summer.
I'd agree with the 2900 being an improvement over lesser cans out of the box - heck, they're one of my favorite dynamic headphones to date! And I remember paying around that ~$400 bar too - hopefully Ultrasone isn't going the way of Sennheiser and Denon and pushing MAPs now.post #1376 of 214611/22/12 at 12:01am
With a heavy heart, I must turn in from the Ultrasone Fan club. I didn't really enjoy the hfi-580 or the hfi-2200 (chrome plate). Both of them had a really weird voicing that worked for certain genres, mostly folk type music and chillstep, but not so well elsewhere. The bass performance (which was really good) of both of these was sort of over shadowed by the screechy highs and recessed mids. I really tried to like both of these headphones and eq'd to compensate for what they lacked, but it didn't work out. Some day I might return if I have the money to buy the Ultrasone pro900 but for now I think I'll be fine using the Beyer COP as my bass heavy headphone.post #1377 of 214611/22/12 at 1:32am
I'll be getting my second pair of HFI-780 in the next few days!
I originally had to return them 18 months ago due to a fault in the right cup.
Since then, I've been on a journey with closed headphones; from AKG K550, Ultrasone Pro 900, Beyer COP, Beyer DT770 AE, and none of them made me as happy as the HFI-780 did.
Looking forward to being reunited with my underrated HFI-780.
post #1378 of 214611/22/12 at 1:47amQuote:Originally Posted by PanamaHat
With a heavy heart, I must turn in from the Ultrasone Fan club. I didn't really enjoy the hfi-580 or the hfi-2200 (chrome plate). Both of them had a really weird voicing that worked for certain genres, mostly folk type music and chillstep, but not so well elsewhere. The bass performance (which was really good) of both of these was sort of over shadowed by the screechy highs and recessed mids. I really tried to like both of these headphones and eq'd to compensate for what they lacked, but it didn't work out. Some day I might return if I have the money to buy the Ultrasone pro900 but for now I think I'll be fine using the Beyer COP as my bass heavy headphone.
If you thought the 580 and 2200 had screechy treble I would steer clear of the Pro 900/2900s.. in my experience the treble was nearly unbearable with the majority of my music - especially with vocal electronic tracks (or anything with a lot of female vocals).post #1379 of 214611/22/12 at 2:46amRight now I am listening to Celine Dion's Lets Talk About Love album. For me the sound of the Pro-2900 is perfect. It has no piercing high tones, it just sound unveiled in comparision to my SENNHEISER HD 650.post #1380 of 214611/22/12 at 3:41amIt's sad to see a comrade leave the Ultrasone camp, were a small bunch but were feisty! But just as one leaves another lost comrade manages to find his way home!
I too wil be joining the Beyer camp this holiday season with a shiny new pair of DT880's, but I am keeping my HFI-780's as well. I don't think that deadmau5 or Juno Reactor will have the same thump on the Beyers as they do on the Ultrasone's!
To the fallen comrades:
We will still be here to welcome you back when you return...
And you will.
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
- Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Beyerdynamic DT150 Australia 2 minutes ago
- › Somic ST-80 Anyone have a Experience on this Chinese brand? 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for headphones (headset) with hearing protection 4 minutes ago
- › New member roll call open "soap box" thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Feilong4
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by mark2410
- › FiiO RM1 Bluetooth Remote Controller by ryanjsoo
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by d3f4ul7
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse