Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Mexican hot dog (and general hot dog discussion)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mexican hot dog (and general hot dog discussion)

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
One street in town has eight or nine open-air restaurants where the seatin and cooking are done outside. They're only open in the evenings, so I decided to go try one tonight. We're getting a little heat lightning and it might rain, so it seemed like fun to have dinner outside to see the light show.

To get to the point, I went to a shop advertising hot dogs Mexican-style hot dogs. I loved it!

It's a grilled hot dog on a regular bun. Then they add mayonnaise, mustard, green salsa, chopped onions and tomatoes, topped off with refried beans.

Not ideal for a diet, but a happy surprise and I'll be coming back.

Anyway, there are a lot of food nuts here and thought this would be a good way to start a discussion of hot dogs and what you put on them. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2 of 26

Mayo, not sour cream?

 

Hot dogs are solid, as long as they're in a natural casing. Roasting them over a fire, no better feeling. I'm somewhat of a purist with my toppings, usually nothing, but mustard once in a while.

post #3 of 26

I like those big greasy oily gas station dogs, the ones you get the dry bread and sausage and fill it with whatever you want, chilli, cheese and bacon and pickles... delicious but dangerous...

 

everybody goes like " dude what do you eat that crap?" but what do they know angry_face.gif

post #4 of 26

I like using an Italian sausage for a hot dog. I then add sauteed onions and sauteed green and red peppers. Very yummy.

 

post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

I like using an Italian sausage for a hot dog. I then add sauteed onions and sauteed green and red peppers. Very yummy.

 


Do you ever put tomato sauce and mozzarella on it? Very yummy indeed.

 

Do most people not eat Italian sausages in buns?

post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by logwed View Post




Do you ever put tomato sauce and mozzarella on it? Very yummy indeed.

 

Do most people not eat Italian sausages in buns?

I have but I prefer the taste of the onions and peppers.

 

Most people I know do not eat Italian sausages in buns. Most of my family thought I was weird when I started cooking them and eating them like that. After one bite, I got no more funny looks.
 

 

post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post



I have but I prefer the taste of the onions and peppers.

 

Most people I know do not eat Italian sausages in buns. Most of my family thought I was weird when I started cooking them and eating them like that. After one bite, I got no more funny looks.
 

 


I suppose that being from Wisconsin, I have a skewed point of view when it comes to sausage consumption...

 

post #8 of 26

BACON!!!!! BACON BACON BACON WRAPPED!!!!!!

post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Yes, it was mayo on the hot dog. And it was delicious. I also ordered three flautas that came with crema (sour cream) and shredded cabbage, but I've had that before. The Mexican hot dog was a revelation, though.

I'm going to talk to my chef cousin about this. We can replicate it at the next family gathering. The ingredients really work together. Though I'm thinking about adding some shredded cheddar and cabbage (possibly lettuce) to the dog. Squeezing lime over it would be worth experimenting with, too.
Edited by Uncle Erik - 8/28/11 at 2:08am
post #10 of 26

I dont like hotdogs :( 

I'm kinda picky

I dont even eat fish

post #11 of 26
Grilled beef sausage,fried onion mustard-got to smell the grilling(outside the hardware raising money for the scouts
post #12 of 26

post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Yes, it was mayo on the hot dog. And it was delicious. I also ordered three flautas that came with crema (sour cream) and shredded cabbage, but I've had that before. The Mexican hot dog was a revelation, though.

I'm going to talk to my chef cousin about this. We can replicate it at the next family gathering. The ingredients really work together. Though I'm thinking about adding some shredded cheddar and cabbage (possibly lettuce) to the dog. Squeezing lime over it would be worth experimenting with, too.


Mexican's also like their corn a similar way, with mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese.  Sounds too intense for my palette but people swear by it.

 

post #14 of 26

not just mexicans.... they just take credit for everything good 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post




Mexican's also like their corn a similar way, with mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese.  Sounds too intense for my palette but people swear by it.

 



 

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

One street in town has eight or nine open-air restaurants where the seatin and cooking are done outside. They're only open in the evenings, so I decided to go try one tonight. We're getting a little heat lightning and it might rain, so it seemed like fun to have dinner outside to see the light show.

To get to the point, I went to a shop advertising hot dogs Mexican-style hot dogs. I loved it!

It's a grilled hot dog on a regular bun. Then they add mayonnaise, mustard, green salsa, chopped onions and tomatoes, topped off with refried beans.

Not ideal for a diet, but a happy surprise and I'll be coming back.

Anyway, there are a lot of food nuts here and thought this would be a good way to start a discussion of hot dogs and what you put on them. smily_headphones1.gif


Sounds awesome, I'm definitely trying these next time I fire up the grill.  Is the mustard regular yellow mustard?

 

My favorite hot dog is the Chicago style dog. (I lived in Chicago for about 10 years.) I'm considering buying a kit to make some at home, since some of the toppings aren't available locally.

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Mexican hot dog (and general hot dog discussion)