It looks better open
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/1/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Cost VS. SQ Improvement Last post on 9/18/11 at 12:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598 and D2000 vs D7000 Last post on 2/11/12 at 5:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most Comfortable Headphone you own!!!! Last post on 10/13/12 at 9:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011 - Page 22post #316 of 3287/14/12 at 9:26pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #317 of 3287/14/12 at 10:22pmpost #318 of 3287/15/12 at 2:26pmpost #319 of 3287/20/12 at 9:32pm
Ill be trying this soon, if I like it I may see if I can get Martin from Martin Custom Audio to cut a hole, and make it look good at the same time. Has anyone tried making multiple medium sized holes around the perimeter? Kind of where the slant is on the cups, like make a ring of holes maybe? if anyones willing that is.
Anyone know of a difference in sound when opened between wood and plastic cups?
Edited by Deathdeisel - 7/20/12 at 9:37pmpost #320 of 32811/14/12 at 6:56pm
So, wow cant believe how long its been since I posted that. Just tried it, and am listening atm. So far the the punch these things have is impressive. Highs are a little more extended, and pronounced, not too harsh though, atleast yet. Definitely has more air to the sound.
Loving it for rock atm, cymbals sound awesome. Sound stage is definitely expanded. Bass is much tighter, and punches harder. Im further impressed. Separation seems to have suffered some though, might just be me though. A lot less bass bleed, which is now apparant what that means to me.
Noticed Martin made some open chambered cups for these that look gorgeous, so tempting...
Edit: trying out some dub step atm, not so impressed tbh. Bass in general has gone down besides punch. Quantity id like to say was reduced by around 1-3Db. If you bought these phones for rock though, do this mod youll fall in love.
Edited by Deathdeisel - 11/14/12 at 7:02pmpost #321 of 32811/18/12 at 12:01pmpost #322 of 32811/18/12 at 4:36pmpost #323 of 32811/18/12 at 5:08pmpost #324 of 32811/18/12 at 6:10pmpost #325 of 32811/19/12 at 8:11ampost #326 of 3281/29/13 at 12:27pmFirst off, thanks to hans for bringing this mod to our attention.I've been listening extensively to both my 2000 and 7000 without the cups. Some closed cans were never meant to be open (and vice versa), but these Fostex drivers are remarkably versatile. I'm not sure that I could live forever with the D2000 fully open because sibilance, particularly with vocals, might be too much, but on the 7000, tonal balance is almost perfect. Without the cups, sub-40Hz bass roll-off is similar to the 2000, but above 40Hz, the 7000 gets even tighter and better defined, losing none of the oomph and energy at 40Hz to mid-bass. The 7000 is also less sibilant but slightly more detailed and resolving in the upper mids and 1KHz, where the bump without the cups sounds less intrusive on the 7000.I feel that the differences between the 2000 and 7000 are more prominent with this mod. Using the same wooden cups, the 2000 and 7000 are closer together in performance. If I were to use the D2000 with this mod, I would follow some of the suggestions here on how to lower the 1-2KHz spike because on some recordings, it can be bothersome. Nevertheless, the 2000 modified in this way sounds livelier and better balanced to me than a stock 7000 --and that's not too bad for a $250 headphone with zero dollars in modifications! I already hold the stock 2000 in the highest regard (IMO the best overall under $500 headphone that I've heard).I don't ever see myself letting my modified 7000 go. Not since giving up on the sometimes frustrating K1000 and moving onto speakers has a headphone really been able to move me like this. It isn't the absolute ultimate in technical terms, but no other headphone that I've heard has all of its strengths and so few glaring weaknesses (IMO, none).post #327 of 3281/29/13 at 2:53pmThread Starter
Glad to be of help, even though I was not the originator of this mod! :)
The drivers in these headphones are certainly versatile. I wish I had more money and time to tinker with them, but I kind of lost interest once I got into modding the T50RP. My poor D2000s are gathering dust...still disassembled from the last time I was messing with them. :(
- Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 2/20/2014: BoomPro... 16 seconds ago
- › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps 33 seconds ago
- › Summit-fi unamped? 1 minute ago
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 4 minutes ago
- › Vintage Stax repair and maintenance 6 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Anyone interested in the subgenre of Shoegaze? 6 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude