It looks better open
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 9/1/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/17/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/29/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Cost VS. SQ Improvement Last post on 9/18/11 at 12:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598 and D2000 vs D7000 Last post on 2/11/12 at 5:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most Comfortable Headphone you own!!!! Last post on 10/13/12 at 9:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/31/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was offered to review these for Brainwavz and I agreed. I am not affiliated with the company, and have no bias towards or against them. This review will be my unbiased opinion on...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011 - Page 22post #316 of 3287/14/12 at 9:26pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #317 of 3287/14/12 at 10:22pmpost #318 of 3287/15/12 at 2:26pmpost #319 of 3287/20/12 at 9:32pm
Ill be trying this soon, if I like it I may see if I can get Martin from Martin Custom Audio to cut a hole, and make it look good at the same time. Has anyone tried making multiple medium sized holes around the perimeter? Kind of where the slant is on the cups, like make a ring of holes maybe? if anyones willing that is.
Anyone know of a difference in sound when opened between wood and plastic cups?
Edited by Deathdeisel - 7/20/12 at 9:37pmpost #320 of 32811/14/12 at 6:56pm
So, wow cant believe how long its been since I posted that. Just tried it, and am listening atm. So far the the punch these things have is impressive. Highs are a little more extended, and pronounced, not too harsh though, atleast yet. Definitely has more air to the sound.
Loving it for rock atm, cymbals sound awesome. Sound stage is definitely expanded. Bass is much tighter, and punches harder. Im further impressed. Separation seems to have suffered some though, might just be me though. A lot less bass bleed, which is now apparant what that means to me.
Noticed Martin made some open chambered cups for these that look gorgeous, so tempting...
Edit: trying out some dub step atm, not so impressed tbh. Bass in general has gone down besides punch. Quantity id like to say was reduced by around 1-3Db. If you bought these phones for rock though, do this mod youll fall in love.
Edited by Deathdeisel - 11/14/12 at 7:02pmpost #321 of 32811/18/12 at 12:01pmpost #322 of 32811/18/12 at 4:36pmpost #323 of 32811/18/12 at 5:08pmpost #324 of 32811/18/12 at 6:10pmpost #325 of 32811/19/12 at 8:11ampost #326 of 3281/29/13 at 12:27pmFirst off, thanks to hans for bringing this mod to our attention.I've been listening extensively to both my 2000 and 7000 without the cups. Some closed cans were never meant to be open (and vice versa), but these Fostex drivers are remarkably versatile. I'm not sure that I could live forever with the D2000 fully open because sibilance, particularly with vocals, might be too much, but on the 7000, tonal balance is almost perfect. Without the cups, sub-40Hz bass roll-off is similar to the 2000, but above 40Hz, the 7000 gets even tighter and better defined, losing none of the oomph and energy at 40Hz to mid-bass. The 7000 is also less sibilant but slightly more detailed and resolving in the upper mids and 1KHz, where the bump without the cups sounds less intrusive on the 7000.I feel that the differences between the 2000 and 7000 are more prominent with this mod. Using the same wooden cups, the 2000 and 7000 are closer together in performance. If I were to use the D2000 with this mod, I would follow some of the suggestions here on how to lower the 1-2KHz spike because on some recordings, it can be bothersome. Nevertheless, the 2000 modified in this way sounds livelier and better balanced to me than a stock 7000 --and that's not too bad for a $250 headphone with zero dollars in modifications! I already hold the stock 2000 in the highest regard (IMO the best overall under $500 headphone that I've heard).I don't ever see myself letting my modified 7000 go. Not since giving up on the sometimes frustrating K1000 and moving onto speakers has a headphone really been able to move me like this. It isn't the absolute ultimate in technical terms, but no other headphone that I've heard has all of its strengths and so few glaring weaknesses (IMO, none).post #327 of 3281/29/13 at 2:53pmThread Starter
Glad to be of help, even though I was not the originator of this mod! :)
The drivers in these headphones are certainly versatile. I wish I had more money and time to tinker with them, but I kind of lost interest once I got into modding the T50RP. My poor D2000s are gathering dust...still disassembled from the last time I was messing with them. :(
- Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 9 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 11 minutes ago
- › Custom Art's First Foray into Acrylic CIEMs: Ei.3 13 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 14 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 14 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 16 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 17 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 26 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 31 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Brainwavz Jive by jasonb
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2