Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about amps for the Stax SR-009 - Page 42

post #616 of 874
Speaking of EL34, I've just received my quad of EL34PH.
Installing them has been smoother than expected, although I've been very cautious. I was using some JJs and I have no complaints about them. We'll report in a few days.
post #617 of 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

Speaking of EL34, I've just received my quad of EL34PH.
Installing them has been smoother than expected, although I've been very cautious. I was using some JJs and I have no complaints about them. We'll report in a few days.


When you report back, would you be so kind to post the test date on the tubes. Attorney said his were 20130722. Thanks.

post #618 of 874
20131012
post #619 of 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by complin View Post
Have you thought about the british Mullard EL34's?
If you are looking for more detail then the Telefunkens or similar but cheaper the WF/RFT's made in berlin.

Yep, a lot. I just didn't think anyone was jumping up and down about them on the BHSE forum. For a real NOS quad, you're probably looking somewhere around $800 (which I felt wasn't worth it). There were very favorable opinions about the Philips metal based EL34, which is why I took a chance on the Psvane.

 

I did try the RFT's, which I found better than the SED's, but not as good as the Shuguang Treasures. I think I read somewhere that the Telefunkens didn't match that well with the BHSE either.

post #620 of 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

20131012


Thanks Massy.

post #621 of 874
I haven't heard those XF2/4 but prices are a nonsense for me, even if they are better than any new production EL34.
Also, if you haven't got any tester you have no way to know if the tubes are actually matched and 'strong', and in year or so you're back to square one looking for a new quad.

Another tube that looks interesting is the Black Sable EL34 from tubedepot: it should be a cryo version of NOS Svetlana (not C Winged version, but the St petersburg version). I used to own a pair of Black Sable 6922 and they were very good.

I'll personally stick with the EL34PH or whatever tube will sound good with my amp.
post #622 of 874

I would be really surprised if you would need to replace them after only a year. If you are going to spend a decent sum then its important to buy from a reputable seller who will provide you with the measurements. IMOE the European and American tubes last much, much longer than their Chinese counterparts basically because they were better built and used higher quality materials. I have heard of some of the western electrics lasting over 40 years and in daily use.

I have heard good reports of the current Tungsol's, even though these are russian made now. You should also consider the Tesla's, a famous valve brand that were made in the Czech republic. The Brimar and Philips can be similar but cheaper than the Mullards but share a common heritage as they all ended up in one organisation, so a lot of cross branding.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

I haven't heard those XF2/4 but prices are a nonsense for me, even if they are better than any new production EL34.
Also, if you haven't got any tester you have no way to know if the tubes are actually matched and 'strong', and in year or so you're back to square one looking for a new quad.

Another tube that looks interesting is the Black Sable EL34 from tubedepot: it should be a cryo version of NOS Svetlana (not C Winged version, but the St petersburg version). I used to own a pair of Black Sable 6922 and they were very good.

I'll personally stick with the EL34PH or whatever tube will sound good with my amp.

Edited by complin - 2/6/14 at 2:17am
post #623 of 874
I have no idea about how long they'll last, I guess every amp will be a different story... 1000 hours is about a year, 3 hours per day. To be honest, I'd be happy of paying £400 for a quad of good NOS, knowing they'll last a few years and they are the best sounding with my equipment...but how can I be sure about it? :-)
post #624 of 874

The Mafia has said in the past that the BHSE is gentle on tubes, so any decent tube should last for years and years. The only question remaining is whether the PH is a decent tube on the longevity front? The jury is still out on that one.

 

I did wonder how  Dave would react when he decided to go for the PH's for his 009's.

Because the PH's considerably injected "life" into my 007's, I wondered if that might become too much of a good thing with the brighter 009's. The fact that Dave has been delighted with the PH's leads me to think that the "life" really is due to extra clarity and precision, rather than a hump in the upper mids.

 

There may still be an slight mid or upper-mid hump in the PH's for all I know, but the only time when I noticed that was during the burn in phase - where there were times when the sound did become more forward sometimes, although less frequently, the sound did also become over polite. On my second set, I'm not noticing this as much, but I'm not looking out for it either. 

 

This is now 2 threads that the PH crowd has taken over. Next stop... the world :o)

post #625 of 874

Aren't these modern replicas of the Philips metal based EL34's?

I hear that there are Russian replicas being made now of the original mullards http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/EL34-6CA7-Tube-Types/Mullard-EL34 @$24 each might be worth a try?

 

The Mullard name and trademark have been acquired by the New Sensor Corporation. This new production Mullard EL34 tube is manufactured at their Xpo-Pul factory (also known as Reflektor) in Saratov, Russia. New Sensor is an American corporation and since taking ownership of this factory has been steadily improving the quality of current production tubes. 

Compared to the New Sensor Corp. Svetlana which has a rather strident midrange, the new Mullard EL34 has been considerably smoothed. The overall sound is more balanced and very warm. This is great news for people with something like a Marshall since they are inherently midrangey. The low mids are nicely balanced to prevent any boomy tone.

This new production EL34 tube is New Sensor's reissue of the famous Mullard EL34.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
 

There may still be an slight mid or upper-mid hump in the PH's for all I know, but the only time when I noticed that was during the burn in phase - where there were times when the sound did become more forward sometimes, although less frequently, the sound did also become over polite. On my second set, I'm not noticing this as much, but I'm not looking out for it either. 

 

This is now 2 threads that the PH crowd has taken over. Next stop... the world :o)


Edited by complin - 2/6/14 at 5:56am
post #626 of 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by complin View Post
 


Those are the stock tubes the BHSE is shipped with. Yes, the Psvane EL34PH (Philips Holland) are based on the Philips metal based tube.

post #627 of 874
I'm only writing posts about the PH's because I haven't a clue why they are doing what they are, that is I'm getting better everything than with the SED's, but without any harshness, in fact I need to be carefull because I can't resist turning the volume up even with the songs I was having problems when using the SED's.
I haven't done it yet, but I'm going the compare the PH's to the Mullard's that came with the BHSE, however I'm not sure why I'd need to do that because I preferred the SED's over the stock Mullard's.
post #628 of 874

Are these vintage (UK Produced) or new Mullards?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going the compare the PH's to the Mullard's that came with the BHSE, however I'm not sure why I'd need to do that because I preferred the SED's over the stock Mullard's.
post #629 of 874
I believe they are the new Mullard's, Justin supplies them with the BHSE.
post #630 of 874

Ah the cousin of the original. I think a set of vintage would be superior in sound quality though

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Question about amps for the Stax SR-009