- 337 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Oslo, Norway
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Lightningtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE Electrostatic Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WEStagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Stax SR-009 - Which Stax Energiser Amp To Pair With? Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:07am in High-end Audio Forum
- SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream Last post on 4/6/14 at 10:01pm in High-end Audio Forum
- What should I buy next? SR-009? Last post on 12/28/13 at 10:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- WA5 or other amp into WOO WEE energizer - Best cable/connection? Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:26pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
I would like to Thank FiiO for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer link: http://fiio.net/en/products/52, also available on amazon. * click on...
Nobody said HiFi was cheap, spending $200 dollars on HiFi doesn't get you very far these days. The AudioQuest DragonFly RED is one of those rare exceptions, I think it's the best value on the...
Preamble: A group of engineers and designers has worked as OEM developers and producers for audio products, acting in the background, until 2012, when they decided to found a...
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
Question about amps for the Stax SR-009 - Page 28post #406 of 8508/28/13 at 5:33pmAs long as its non-reflective jet black and functional I couldn't care less for the material
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #407 of 8508/28/13 at 5:41pm
After a few more hours, some more initial impressions...
Very initial thoughts are that I think I prefer the KGSSHV's presentation. Just seems more transparent and a somewhat cleaner sounding (without being thin in anyway).
Again, I plan on this comparison taking several days so please bare with me as I get to know the LL more. I think I've got a good handle of the KGSSHV.post #408 of 8508/28/13 at 6:03pmpost #409 of 8508/28/13 at 6:08pmpost #410 of 8508/28/13 at 6:20pmQuote:
Wasn't there just the PCB lay out changed? Internal Bill of Material and netlists I presume are the same?post #411 of 8508/28/13 at 6:27pm
No sure exactly, but I do think the parts are still the same except for the layout. You wouldn't think taking care of stray capacitance would do that much, but it does. Ask Alex if you can get a demo if you are serious. I know he had a loaner floating around a while back, although I think he was hesitant to loan to certain people because he was afraid of random strangers literally pissing in the amp.post #412 of 8508/28/13 at 6:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
No sure exactly, but I do think the parts are still the same except for the layout. You wouldn't think taking care of stray capacitance would do that much, but it does. Ask Alex if you can get a demo if you are serious. I know he had a loaner floating around a while back, although I think he was hesitant to loan to certain people because he was afraid of random strangers literally pissing in the amp.
Have you done a direct A-B? Just curious? Parasitic capacitance can be a problem at higher speeds...MHz/GHz, but I wouldn't think so much at 20 - 20 000 Hz?
I'll shoot Alex a PM to see if the demo is still out there.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/28/13 at 7:12pmpost #413 of 8508/28/13 at 6:44pmpost #414 of 8508/28/13 at 6:49pm
I'll shoot Alex a PM. My only worry is the dorks at Canadian Customs love charging HST (Harmonize provincial/federal sales tax...13%). Not sure how that would work. I shall look into it further.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/28/13 at 7:13pmpost #415 of 8508/28/13 at 10:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero
Very nice sound actually. The mids are full and (sorry for the pun) "liquid". Very enticing mids. Bass seems to have depth and some heft; while on the KGSS it a bit too "tight" and thinner to my ears. The bass I think is better controlled and hits a harder with the KGSSHV. The treble on the LL seems very fluid as well and extends well with a slight smoothing. Overall a very nice presentation with an expansive sound stage that is enveloping.Thanks for these impressions. In the bolded sentence, are you saying that the KGSSHV has better bass quality and impact than the LL? Or were you comparing it to the KGSS?post #416 of 8508/29/13 at 12:39am
And the quality and "trueness" of the recorded sound!Quote:Originally Posted by duncan1
Radio_head--You never said a truer word! Like the advert for Linn Sondek --Rubbish in --rubbish out and Ivor was right. The first stage in any hi-fi system is the limiting factor on the resolution/ fidelity. And no that isn't subjective--its a scientific fact-think about it. That's why I spent so much on a completely open system so I was able to tell the limiting factor was the Stax-727-11 that I own and now heavily modded with more to come. I can hear the tiniest bit of noise/distortion and you don't cure that by "dumbing down" the equipment -so it sounds smoother you attack the fault and Rectify it and therefore achieve a higher fidelity simply because you have more musical resolution in your system. Sticking a "tube somewhere" / or rounding off the frequency response in SS equipment via the use of small caps or resistance /capacitor frequency response shapers. is not achieving top fidelity.Many wont be happy about this but it is the down to earth truth.post #417 of 8508/29/13 at 2:39am
Trueness=Natural sounding =as if it is a live recording=as it sounds in a concert.hall. The ability to hear and feel the extended harmonics of the instruments to their full length. In other words what a human being should hear not a MK 10 Robot who has a systems analyzer connected to his ears and cant FEEL the music and never will.What robot can feel the emotion from the music??? .You are dissing all the great composers and all the other humans on this planet. If you want to turn yourself into a robot -be my guest. But there are 1000s on Head-Fi who are subjective and always will be subjective because they are flesh and blood. not a PCB . If you only allow science then you fail when judging people . Science is faulty. Why dont you admit you are made of flesh and blood and act/think/see subjectively? Try going a day without being subjective-post #418 of 8508/29/13 at 3:15amQuote:
Yeah the mk2 has a more neutral design, but the LED's are now white, and the nice venting-hole-logo thing is gone...post #419 of 8508/29/13 at 8:41am
You seemed to have missed the point completely i'm afraid
No idea where robots would come into this at all - in fact the point is that its all subjective.
There is in most cases no absolute recorded sound as its usually manipulated in some way by the recording engineer to fit his subjective impression or brief of what needs to be reproduced.
I would recommend anyone wanting to hold up a recording as being realistic to watch this facinating presentation by John Atkinson, Editor-in-Chief, Stereophile Magazine.
He demonstrates that nothing is real and how the recording art affects what you think you hearQuote:Originally Posted by duncan1
Trueness=Natural sounding =as if it is a live recording=as it sounds in a concert.hall. The ability to hear and feel the extended harmonics of the instruments to their full length. In other words what a human being should hear not a MK 10 Robot who has a systems analyzer connected to his ears and cant FEEL the music and never will.What robot can feel the emotion from the music??? .You are dissing all the great composers and all the other humans on this planet. If you want to turn yourself into a robot -be my guest. But there are 1000s on Head-Fi who are subjective and always will be subjective because they are flesh and blood. not a PCB . If you only allow science then you fail when judging people . Science is faulty. Why dont you admit you are made of flesh and blood and act/think/see subjectively? Try going a day without being subjective-post #420 of 8508/29/13 at 9:11am
Complin- And the LPs/CDs produced by -LINN/ NAIM were recorded so that little "manipulation" was carried out by those doing the recordings. And so sound "better". You [like some others] keep on denying subjectivism but we all live by it . It like denying you are human like those in sound science do . As soon as somebody mentions anything remotely sounding subjective you are "down their throats " in a flash. And yet , if you are honest --80% of posts on Head-Fi are Subjective and the poster is looking for a Subjective reply and yet you tell him to "forget what you hear" your ears are faulty in comparison to a spectrum analyzer.. Its as if you are trying to put over a Scientific philosophy Neo-Religious. Have they converted "the masses"??---NO they havent because the majority of posters just say---"I would rather believe my ears" Even the Church of Scientology lost its "star member"
- Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 50 seconds ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 6 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 7 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 9 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program 9 minutes ago
- › DT-770 Bass? 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by twister6
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse