- 337 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Oslo, Norway
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Lightningtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE Electrostatic Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WEStagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Stax SR-009 - Which Stax Energiser Amp To Pair With? Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:07am in High-end Audio Forum
- SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream Last post on 4/6/14 at 10:01pm in High-end Audio Forum
- What should I buy next? SR-009? Last post on 12/28/13 at 10:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- WA5 or other amp into WOO WEE energizer - Best cable/connection? Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:26pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Design/durability: Stellar build quality is one of the highlights of the Rockets. Pretty much every feature of it seems indestructible. The L-shaped jack seems very sturdy and has enough strain...
Question about amps for the Stax SR-009 - Page 28post #406 of 8508/28/13 at 5:33pmAs long as its non-reflective jet black and functional I couldn't care less for the material
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #407 of 8508/28/13 at 5:41pm
After a few more hours, some more initial impressions...
Very initial thoughts are that I think I prefer the KGSSHV's presentation. Just seems more transparent and a somewhat cleaner sounding (without being thin in anyway).
Again, I plan on this comparison taking several days so please bare with me as I get to know the LL more. I think I've got a good handle of the KGSSHV.post #408 of 8508/28/13 at 6:03pmpost #409 of 8508/28/13 at 6:08pmpost #410 of 8508/28/13 at 6:20pmQuote:
Wasn't there just the PCB lay out changed? Internal Bill of Material and netlists I presume are the same?post #411 of 8508/28/13 at 6:27pm
No sure exactly, but I do think the parts are still the same except for the layout. You wouldn't think taking care of stray capacitance would do that much, but it does. Ask Alex if you can get a demo if you are serious. I know he had a loaner floating around a while back, although I think he was hesitant to loan to certain people because he was afraid of random strangers literally pissing in the amp.post #412 of 8508/28/13 at 6:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
No sure exactly, but I do think the parts are still the same except for the layout. You wouldn't think taking care of stray capacitance would do that much, but it does. Ask Alex if you can get a demo if you are serious. I know he had a loaner floating around a while back, although I think he was hesitant to loan to certain people because he was afraid of random strangers literally pissing in the amp.
Have you done a direct A-B? Just curious? Parasitic capacitance can be a problem at higher speeds...MHz/GHz, but I wouldn't think so much at 20 - 20 000 Hz?
I'll shoot Alex a PM to see if the demo is still out there.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/28/13 at 7:12pmpost #413 of 8508/28/13 at 6:44pmpost #414 of 8508/28/13 at 6:49pm
I'll shoot Alex a PM. My only worry is the dorks at Canadian Customs love charging HST (Harmonize provincial/federal sales tax...13%). Not sure how that would work. I shall look into it further.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/28/13 at 7:13pmpost #415 of 8508/28/13 at 10:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero
Very nice sound actually. The mids are full and (sorry for the pun) "liquid". Very enticing mids. Bass seems to have depth and some heft; while on the KGSS it a bit too "tight" and thinner to my ears. The bass I think is better controlled and hits a harder with the KGSSHV. The treble on the LL seems very fluid as well and extends well with a slight smoothing. Overall a very nice presentation with an expansive sound stage that is enveloping.Thanks for these impressions. In the bolded sentence, are you saying that the KGSSHV has better bass quality and impact than the LL? Or were you comparing it to the KGSS?post #416 of 8508/29/13 at 12:39am
And the quality and "trueness" of the recorded sound!Quote:Originally Posted by duncan1
Radio_head--You never said a truer word! Like the advert for Linn Sondek --Rubbish in --rubbish out and Ivor was right. The first stage in any hi-fi system is the limiting factor on the resolution/ fidelity. And no that isn't subjective--its a scientific fact-think about it. That's why I spent so much on a completely open system so I was able to tell the limiting factor was the Stax-727-11 that I own and now heavily modded with more to come. I can hear the tiniest bit of noise/distortion and you don't cure that by "dumbing down" the equipment -so it sounds smoother you attack the fault and Rectify it and therefore achieve a higher fidelity simply because you have more musical resolution in your system. Sticking a "tube somewhere" / or rounding off the frequency response in SS equipment via the use of small caps or resistance /capacitor frequency response shapers. is not achieving top fidelity.Many wont be happy about this but it is the down to earth truth.post #417 of 8508/29/13 at 2:39am
Trueness=Natural sounding =as if it is a live recording=as it sounds in a concert.hall. The ability to hear and feel the extended harmonics of the instruments to their full length. In other words what a human being should hear not a MK 10 Robot who has a systems analyzer connected to his ears and cant FEEL the music and never will.What robot can feel the emotion from the music??? .You are dissing all the great composers and all the other humans on this planet. If you want to turn yourself into a robot -be my guest. But there are 1000s on Head-Fi who are subjective and always will be subjective because they are flesh and blood. not a PCB . If you only allow science then you fail when judging people . Science is faulty. Why dont you admit you are made of flesh and blood and act/think/see subjectively? Try going a day without being subjective-post #418 of 8508/29/13 at 3:15amQuote:
Yeah the mk2 has a more neutral design, but the LED's are now white, and the nice venting-hole-logo thing is gone...post #419 of 8508/29/13 at 8:41am
You seemed to have missed the point completely i'm afraid
No idea where robots would come into this at all - in fact the point is that its all subjective.
There is in most cases no absolute recorded sound as its usually manipulated in some way by the recording engineer to fit his subjective impression or brief of what needs to be reproduced.
I would recommend anyone wanting to hold up a recording as being realistic to watch this facinating presentation by John Atkinson, Editor-in-Chief, Stereophile Magazine.
He demonstrates that nothing is real and how the recording art affects what you think you hearQuote:Originally Posted by duncan1
Trueness=Natural sounding =as if it is a live recording=as it sounds in a concert.hall. The ability to hear and feel the extended harmonics of the instruments to their full length. In other words what a human being should hear not a MK 10 Robot who has a systems analyzer connected to his ears and cant FEEL the music and never will.What robot can feel the emotion from the music??? .You are dissing all the great composers and all the other humans on this planet. If you want to turn yourself into a robot -be my guest. But there are 1000s on Head-Fi who are subjective and always will be subjective because they are flesh and blood. not a PCB . If you only allow science then you fail when judging people . Science is faulty. Why dont you admit you are made of flesh and blood and act/think/see subjectively? Try going a day without being subjective-post #420 of 8508/29/13 at 9:11am
Complin- And the LPs/CDs produced by -LINN/ NAIM were recorded so that little "manipulation" was carried out by those doing the recordings. And so sound "better". You [like some others] keep on denying subjectivism but we all live by it . It like denying you are human like those in sound science do . As soon as somebody mentions anything remotely sounding subjective you are "down their throats " in a flash. And yet , if you are honest --80% of posts on Head-Fi are Subjective and the poster is looking for a Subjective reply and yet you tell him to "forget what you hear" your ears are faulty in comparison to a spectrum analyzer.. Its as if you are trying to put over a Scientific philosophy Neo-Religious. Have they converted "the masses"??---NO they havent because the majority of posters just say---"I would rather believe my ears" Even the Church of Scientology lost its "star member"
- Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 37 seconds ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 2 minutes ago
- › New: Matrix Audio HPA-2C Classic Amp/DAC (With Review) 2 minutes ago
- › Musical goosebumps 2 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › DQSM IEM Impressions / Easy Earphones Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 5 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 6 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Noble Audio Kaiser K10UA universal aluminum by Saraguie
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...