Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bose QC3 vs QC15, on top of custom IEMs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bose QC3 vs QC15, on top of custom IEMs

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

What?? A question about which Bose headphone to get, on head-fi? OK once you guys have put your torches down, maybe someone can help me.

 

I'm going on a trip soon that involves lots of plane flights. I've always used my custom IEMs on flights, but find that they don't really block out the lows.

 

In another recent thread on a similar topic, the poster mentions using the QuietComfort 15 on top of his SE530s, which blocked out noise really well. I was planning to do the same thing, but the smaller physical size of the QC3 is a bit more attractive to me.

 

So my question is - has anyone tried either the QC3 or QC15 on top of custom IEMs? The QC3's on-ear design is my main concern - will it work when it's against the flat surface of a custom IEM? And .. is it comfortable?

 

I assume the QC15 would be no problem since joseph2625 from the other thread says it works fine with the SE530.

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 14

I have never tried it, but it seems to me that the on-ear cup would push the IEM against your ear. Which IEMs do you have?

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennheiserhd485 View Post

I have never tried it, but it seems to me that the on-ear cup would push the IEM against your ear. Which IEMs do you have?



Mmm yeah that's my concern. I don't have my IEMs on me at the moment (UE11 Pro, sent back to UE to fix a loose rattling capacitor), so can't try it out myself. There might not be enough time for me to wait to receive the IEMs back from UE, find time to try the Bose out at a store, and order it online. Maybe I should just go for the QC 15, looking at the design that definitely looks like a safe bet. But ahh, the size!

 

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post





Mmm yeah that's my concern. I don't have my IEMs on me at the moment (UE11 Pro, sent back to UE to fix a loose rattling capacitor), so can't try it out myself. There might not be enough time for me to wait to receive the IEMs back from UE, find time to try the Bose out at a store, and order it online. Maybe I should just go for the QC 15, looking at the design that definitely looks like a safe bet. But ahh, the size!

 



When looking at the QC 3, it seems like you would be cutting it close. You could always get some cheap noise-cancelling headphones. The Bose are a but pricey to use one time for a few airplane trips.

 

These have deep earcups, are cheaper, and are fairly small, they might possibly work for you:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-NC60-Noise-Canceling-Headphone/dp/B000N385QK/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314562456&sr=1-16 

 

post #5 of 14

Hi Guys,

 

i had both for quite some time and i can tell you that the QC3 will not work for what you want them for. With the QC15s however you will definately be able to use In-Ears under them as they leave enough space in the ear cups.

 

Just be careful with your In-ears, it will cause lots of noise if the In-Ear hits the shell of the Bose's cup. And yeah, the QC15 are pretty big and get really hot on your ears as the material (the cushions and the plastic of the cups) are designed to isolate as best as possible.

 

Cheers,

Ayk

 

 

 

P.S. My first post. YEAH atsmile.gif 

post #6 of 14

I would not use the qc3 because they are on ear and could press against the IEM's. Use the QC15 and you will be fine. The QC15 have great isolation but cost a lot. Maybe find a cheaper NC headphone that blocks out lows good. 

 

Good idea btw...

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 


Thanks for all the replies!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennheiserhd485 View Post

When looking at the QC 3, it seems like you would be cutting it close. You could always get some cheap noise-cancelling headphones. The Bose are a but pricey to use one time for a few airplane trips.

 

These have deep earcups, are cheaper, and are fairly small, they might possibly work for you:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-NC60-Noise-Canceling-Headphone/dp/B000N385QK/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314562456&sr=1-16 

 



Yeah, looking at it again, the QC3 does seem like it won't work well with IEMs.

The NC60 looks good.. it has good reviews and it's well-priced. I'll keep that in mind.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AykDaddy View Post

i had both for quite some time and i can tell you that the QC3 will not work for what you want them for. With the QC15s however you will definately be able to use In-Ears under them as they leave enough space in the ear cups.

 

Just be careful with your In-ears, it will cause lots of noise if the In-Ear hits the shell of the Bose's cup. And yeah, the QC15 are pretty big and get really hot on your ears as the material (the cushions and the plastic of the cups) are designed to isolate as best as possible.

 

P.S. My first post. YEAH atsmile.gif



OK, I'll skip the QC3 then. It shouldn't have problems with the shell of the cup as the IEMs would be flush with my ear.

Thanks, and welcome! I'm mostly a lurker myself.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEdROP View Post

I would not use the qc3 because they are on ear and could press against the IEM's. Use the QC15 and you will be fine. The QC15 have great isolation but cost a lot. Maybe find a cheaper NC headphone that blocks out lows good. 

 

Good idea btw...

 

Yup, I've got the NC60 in my sights too now. It all depends on what I can get the QC15 for - after reading a whole bunch of reviews, the general consensus seems to be that the QC15 has the best NC of all, they're just expensive, which I agree with.

If I can find a pair that's close enough in price to the NC60, I'll probably get it.

 

 

post #8 of 14

QC 15 is way way better than Sennheiser or Denon's noise cancellation headphones to block the noise.

That's why I suggested in the other thread that use QC15 to block the noise while wearing the IEH for quality music.

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

QC 15 is way way better than Sennheiser or Denon's noise cancellation headphones to block the noise.

That's why I suggested in the other thread that use QC15 to block the noise while wearing the IEH for quality music.


Yeah, the QC15 seems to be regarded as the 'gold standard' in noise cancellation headphones.

Have you tried the Sony NC60? I'm just wondering how large the difference is.
 

 

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post

Quote:


Yeah, the QC15 seems to be regarded as the 'gold standard' in noise cancellation headphones.

Have you tried the Sony NC60? I'm just wondering how large the difference is.
 

 



If there is a large difference, I would just go ahead and buy the QC15 if I were you.

 

post #11 of 14

Selling noise cancelling headphones in an airport for the last 4 years I can say with strong conviction that the QC15 is NOT the best noise cancellation. I've sold more Denon NC800 and Sony NC500D (the digital pair) to people that have come in with QC2/3/15 around their neck than I can count. I personally lean toward the Denon because they pack smaller, have a bigger ear cup, and are much softer than the NC500, though we could probably argue about the noise cancellation until we were blue in the face.

 

Oh, and the difference in noise cancellation between the (nearly discontinued) NC60 and NC500 is astounding.

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 

 Quote:

Originally Posted by magicianky View Post

Selling noise cancelling headphones in an airport for the last 4 years I can say with strong conviction that the QC15 is NOT the best noise cancellation. I've sold more Denon NC800 and Sony NC500D (the digital pair) to people that have come in with QC2/3/15 around their neck than I can count. I personally lean toward the Denon because they pack smaller, have a bigger ear cup, and are much softer than the NC500, though we could probably argue about the noise cancellation until we were blue in the face.

 

Oh, and the difference in noise cancellation between the (nearly discontinued) NC60 and NC500 is astounding.

 

Hmm, I had a look around and both the Denon NC800 and Sony NC500D cost more than the QC15. All the comments and reviews I read do say the QC15 has the edge in noise cancelling when on a plane (as opposed to a store), although the Denon sounds better acoustically. It's the passive isolation that isn't as good. I quite like the fact that they can pack smaller though - if only they didn't cost so much! The QC15 is already pushing it.

 

The NC500D is even more expensive than the NC800 - definitely out of budget for me!

 

 

Thanks

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 

OK after some browsing, I ended up getting a pair of slightly-used QuietComfort 15 headphones for $207+shipping - cheaper than Sony or Denon. I'll post again after my trip!

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post

OK after some browsing, I ended up getting a pair of slightly-used QuietComfort 15 headphones for $207+shipping - cheaper than Sony or Denon. I'll post again after my trip!


That is a great deal, keep us updated!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bose QC3 vs QC15, on top of custom IEMs