Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Anedio D2 DAC release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anedio D2 DAC release - Page 89

post #1321 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

I got a demo unit to try out with my system. Spent the $50 to evaluate the D2 before buying, if I like than the $50 gets subtracted from final cost, otherwise I'll be out $50 if it doesn't work out for me.

I have a Soloist amp as well as an older Lyr. Soloist is more neutral while the Lyr is on the warmer side of things.

I'll try the included amp in the D2, then the Soloist and the Lyr and see how it all sounds with my more used headphones.

My tastes may be changing anyway, I really like the neutral, detailed, ibasso R10 dap. I'm hoping that the D2 takes me in that direction with my home setup.

Fun times ahead. 

 

That's a nice new addition by Anedio to start having this program where there's a minimal risk if the D2 ends up not being for you.

post #1322 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 


Should be getting next week, will update after I hook it up.

 

BTW, does anyone use the D2 balanced out to balanced amp? If so what are you using and how does it sound?

 

I use mine with a Bryston BHA-1 in a balanced configuration with a pair of LCD-2s. I think the Bryston gives a bit more oomph to the bass, but at a cost of a little loss of resolution over the internal amp.

post #1323 of 1364

I am really enjoying my evaluation unit from Anedio.

For those looking for a high quality dac I can't recommend their evaluation service enough.

You get two weeks to listen to the unit and if you decide that you don't like it you are only out $50.

If you like it you get to deduct the $49 from the final cost of the D2.

http://www.anedio.com/index.php/audio/store

 

I've been listening to it with the Soloist as the headphone amp. The Solist is really in a different league than the included headphone amp in the D2.

The D2/Soloist combo make my higher end headphones just sing. The sound is so addictive that I have had a hard time tearing myself away from listening sessions and getting sleep, making for some rough days at work!

post #1324 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

I've been listening to it with the Soloist as the headphone amp. The Solist is really in a different league than the included headphone amp in the D2.

Can you make more detailed description - what exactly is better with Soloist? I mean in technical aspects - does it give bigger soundstage, tighter bass etc?


Edited by remilio - 11/9/13 at 11:37am
post #1325 of 1364

Hey project86, question, how do you think the Concero HP would compare to the Anedio D2 as a standalone(dac/amp) specifically for CIEMs(FP JH-13s specifically) thanks for any info! I was gonna comment on the article but I never got my account creation email :/

post #1326 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
 

Hey project86, question, how do you think the Concero HP would compare to the Anedio D2 as a standalone(dac/amp) specifically for CIEMs(FP JH-13s specifically) thanks for any info! I was gonna comment on the article but I never got my account creation email :/

 

Sorry about the email issue, not sure what happened there. Maybe a spam filter got it? 

 

Anyway, the Anedio D2 is a better overall device. As it should be for the higher price. BUT if you only ever plan to use IEMs, I dare say the differences are quite small. So small in fact that I will often use the HP with a laptop for a simple system rather than break out an AC cable and set up the Anedio. Granted, my laziness is not to be underestimated..... But yeah. Once you start using LCD-2 and HE-500 the Anedio pulls ahead more confidently, but for IEMs I'd go Concero HP and save the money (and footprint). 

post #1327 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

Sorry about the email issue, not sure what happened there. Maybe a spam filter got it? 

 

Anyway, the Anedio D2 is a better overall device. As it should be for the higher price. BUT if you only ever plan to use IEMs, I dare say the differences are quite small. So small in fact that I will often use the HP with a laptop for a simple system rather than break out an AC cable and set up the Anedio. Granted, my laziness is not to be underestimated..... But yeah. Once you start using LCD-2 and HE-500 the Anedio pulls ahead more confidently, but for IEMs I'd go Concero HP and save the money (and footprint). 

 



Thanks for the info, thats what i was thinking youd say. the smaller footprint and ease of setup and use and such would be awesome. I was mostly thinking of it for traveling as well
post #1328 of 1364

I would like to say that I'm satisfied with Anedio D2, and the USB port of D2 is more impressive than I expected. But now I kinda get sick of soundtracks and want to try CDs. Do you have any recommendations of transporters? 

post #1329 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoad View Post
 

I would like to say that I'm satisfied with Anedio D2, and the USB port of D2 is more impressive than I expected. But now I kinda get sick of soundtracks and want to try CDs. Do you have any recommendations of transporters? 

 

Why not rip your CDs to the computer? Then you have them archived for playback any time you want. 

post #1330 of 1364
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post

 

The Soloist is really in a different league than the included headphone amp in the D2.

 

True - D2 is much BETTER than Soloist, when comparing the specifications from their websites. For example:

 

                                      D2                     Soloist

Channel separation       135-140db        73db

THD                               0.0003%           0.03%

Signal / Noise                123-128db        96db

post #1331 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave76 View Post
 

 

True - D2 is much BETTER than Soloist, when comparing the specifications from their websites. For example:

 

                                      D2                     Soloist

Channel separation       135-140db        73db

THD                               0.0003%           0.03%

Signal / Noise                123-128db        96db

 

My ears told me that the Soloist sounded better.

The D2's amp is certainly fine, but not as good as the Soloist.

 

D2 works well with low/mid impedance headphones. It does work better with high impedance headphones with a change in a jumper setting, but then it will not work as well with low.

 

The Soloist works well with both low and high impedance phones without having to change jumper settings. The Soloist has weight to it, I mean physical wight, it just feels like a solid product, and sound quality matches it. The Soloist is designed to handle all headphones, from basic earphones to top of the line headphones. The only headphone I have which I thought it didn't quite drive up to snuff was the Hiffiman HE6, but that is a difficult set of cans to drive, granted they played loud and sounded great, but from what I gather from other forum's still not quite up to par.

 

 

More detailed specs:

D2

Headphone Amp Maximum Output Voltage: 4.0 Vrms (default)
5.3 Vrms (high-gain, set with internal jumpers)
Headphone Amp Maximum Output Power
(default setting):
530 mW into 30 ohms
260 mW into 62 ohms
53 mW into 300 ohms
How much power is enough?
Headphone Amp Maximum Output Power
(high-gain, set with internal jumpers):
830 mW into 30 ohms
460 mW into 62 ohms
95 mW into 300 ohms
Headphone Amp Current Output: 250 mA peak
Headphone Amp THD+N: 0.0004%, 4Vrms into 30ohms
Headphone Amp Intermodulation Distortion: 0.0002% @ 19KHz + 20KHz, 4Vrms into 30ohms
Headphone Amp Output Impedance: 0.035 ohm, 20-20KHz

 

 

Burson Audio Soloist Headphone Amplifier Specifications

  • Input impedance: 36.5 KOhms
  • Frequency response: ± 1 dB 0 - 50Khz
  • Signal to noise ratio: >96dB
  • THD: <0.03% at 30ohm with 1W output
  • Channel separation: <73dB
  • Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms
  • Input impedance: >8K Ohm @ 30 Ohm, 1W
  • Output impedance: <1 Ohm @ 30 Ohm, 1W
  • Power dissipation: >25W, internal, regulated power supply

Edited by Carlsan - 12/27/13 at 8:07am
post #1332 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

My ears told me that the Soloist sounded better.

 

It is very possible, if you for example like 'tube like' sound, which can result from increased electrical damping, due to high output impedance. In terms of your subjective experience, the Soloist can very well be a better amp for you. But objectivelly looking at the numbers, it is not. Sorry. :)

 

If you want to understand headphone amp measurements and thus performance better, I recommend this excellent article: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nwavguys-heaphone-amp-measurement-recommendations

post #1333 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave76 View Post
 

 

It is very possible, if you for example like 'tube like' sound, which can result from increased electrical damping, due to high output impedance. In terms of your subjective experience, the Soloist can very well be a better amp for you. But objectivelly looking at the numbers, it is not. Sorry. :)

 

If you want to understand headphone amp measurements and thus performance better, I recommend this excellent article: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nwavguys-heaphone-amp-measurement-recommendations

It depends.  Measurement numbers could change for the Anedio depending on the headphone load and power needed.  I would reason to guess that the power supply on the Burson would better handle large dynamic peaks which could possibly cause a momentary distortion spike in the Anedio if it's supply isn't up to the job, depending on the headphone it's driving.

post #1334 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave76 View Post
 

 

It is very possible, if you for example like 'tube like' sound, which can result from increased electrical damping, due to high output impedance. In terms of your subjective experience, the Soloist can very well be a better amp for you. But objectivelly looking at the numbers, it is not. Sorry. :)

 

If you want to understand headphone amp measurements and thus performance better, I recommend this excellent article: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nwavguys-heaphone-amp-measurement-recommendations

 

Yeah, I'm not much of a numbers guy, I have to  admit. but that's because I don't trust most official measurements given out by the manufacturer's, an example, above, are the measurements with the D2 jumpers set on high or low?

 

You may be completely right as far as the measurements are concerned, and the D2 is certainly a good all in one solution. But I heard what I heard when I first compared it to the soloist.

 

I listened to it with the T1, and was not impressed, then listened to it with some earphones and was.

Kind of matched Project86's review, actually:

Quote:
 Have I mentioned the headphone amp section? Wow, it's really good! It can drive HD800 very well, with precision and accuracy normally found exclusively in (expensive) stand alone amps. It might not seem like much at first listen, but over time one begins to appreciate the neutrality and resolution, along with the absolute pitch black background. The amp remains my first choice for using high-end custom IEMs. And it works very well with LCD-2 and HD800 as well. Not ideal for the beyerdynamic T1 though, which I feel does benefit from some coloration to tame the top end response. Still, as an all in one solution, it doesn't get much better than this. 

 

Didn't get around to checking the LCD-2 or HD800's, both of which sound excellent with the Burson.

 

The D2 still makes an excellent Dac, which to me is it's main purpose. I have a pair of Questyle CMA 800R Headphone amps coming, and that will make a dynamite balanced rig. One, which I still will use the D2's amp for sensitive iem's by the way.

post #1335 of 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave76 View Post
 

 

It is very possible, if you for example like 'tube like' sound, which can result from increased electrical damping, due to high output impedance. In terms of your subjective experience, the Soloist can very well be a better amp for you. But objectivelly looking at the numbers, it is not. Sorry. :)

 

If you want to understand headphone amp measurements and thus performance better, I recommend this excellent article: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nwavguys-heaphone-amp-measurement-recommendations

 

Oh so you listen to steady state sound-waves, right? :ph34r:

 

There was a good article by Nelson Pass explaining why distortion measurement are not telling the whole story and why low feedback gain (or no feedback at all) was preferable, even if the measured performance is worse.

 

As JWahl mentioned, music is not made of steady state signals (which is what THD measurement is all about); there's a timing and dynamics consideration which is much more prominent in music. Such basic measurement don't tell you anything regarding this.

At least, IMD measurements tells you how your amp can handle 2 sine waves that are close in frequency: an amp can well have a good overall (weighted) THD but perform poorly on IMD. The result is a blend of both frequencies in the IMD plot, and a good mess in listening.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Anedio D2 DAC release