I agree. I have both the DT880/250 and the M50 and I haven't heard anything that's as balanced as the DT880 for a similar price. Compared to the M50, the DT880 has less but quicker, more defined bass (quality > quantity). The M50 doesn't hold a candle to it when listening to acoustic instruments and/or vocal. I remember buying my DT880 from ProAudioStar about 4 months ago and they accepted an offer of $219. YMMV. I can't say anything about the AKG though since I've never tried those.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/29/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- topicShip Globaltagged by System, 8/29/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Closed headphone for rock that has Grado's "in your face" sound? Last post on 8/12/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which headphones would you choose under these conditions? Last post on 8/23/12 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
AK120II and Pono player combined review
EarTech Music have you ever heard of them or Ear Technology Corporation well me neither. This review is for EarTech Music Dual driver custom in ear monitor. I ran upon this company one day while I...
Setup: System #1: Macbook Pro Retina, Fidelia Software, Fiio e17 Alpen System #2: Mac Pro, Fidelia Software, Headphone Out or Fiio e17/E09K combo Some of the tracks used to...
WHY THESE? The kind people on iBuyGou (www.ibuygou.com) kindly offered me a pair of Xiaomi-like headphones to review here, as I actively have been using my Pistons the last year, and as these...
Got one of these for a downstairs/bedroom system I'm trying to put together for peanuts. For your money, you get a very well made little steel box, crinkle finished, painted silver. You can see...
If you had $300 to spend on headphones... - Page 2post #16 of 178/25/11 at 5:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/25/11 at 9:39pm
Cutting the budget in half will get you a low-mid grade headphone and a low-mid grade amp at best.
@ OP, I would consider purchasing any of the high quality, low impedence headphones like the ah-d2000s, any of the beyers in the 32 ohm-80 ohm category. Then you can have a pristine listening experience much superior to having a poor amp and poor headphone. Headphone amps really only make sense for headphones that push impedence and listening to its boundaries and one that actually feeds voltage through would cost well above $200 which is not leaving much for headphones in that budget.
Start with high quality low impedence cans to have the foundation for a good listening system, then upgrade to an amp later on (because you know you will eventually)
Edit: Looks like you did. Dt880 250 ohm, couldnt have given a better recommendation myself. Fantastic choice. I think for them to really shine they should be amped especially since they are the 250 ohm and not the 80 or 32.
I saw a FANTASTIC dac/amp/preamp with nothing but 5 star reviews and plenty of feedback, its the nuforce icon HDP. It retails around $400 bucks street price but it apparently has the quality of 1k to 15k amp set ups . It will REALLY do those cans justice and it would be the logical next step to foundate your inevitable addiction to audio that you will encompass as soon as you grab those dt880s and put them on.
Edited by Vonx - 8/25/11 at 9:46pm
- If you had $300 to spend on headphones...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Applying for a university course soon 9 seconds ago
- › THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD 48 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Second Generation (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 1 minute ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- It's Official! 1 minute ago
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 Pro cable options 2 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › 2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500 2 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3