I agree. I have both the DT880/250 and the M50 and I haven't heard anything that's as balanced as the DT880 for a similar price. Compared to the M50, the DT880 has less but quicker, more defined bass (quality > quantity). The M50 doesn't hold a candle to it when listening to acoustic instruments and/or vocal. I remember buying my DT880 from ProAudioStar about 4 months ago and they accepted an offer of $219. YMMV. I can't say anything about the AKG though since I've never tried those.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/29/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- topicShip Globaltagged by System, 8/29/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Closed headphone for rock that has Grado's "in your face" sound? Last post on 8/12/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which headphones would you choose under these conditions? Last post on 8/23/12 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 7/14/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
Introduction: I received the Cayin N6 as a tour unit that was generously provided by CTC Audio. CTC Audio focuses on making brands that aren’t as accessible in North America, mostly from Asia,...
The Shure SE215 is the first IEM I owned and was the one that brought me in head-fi. I got mine for around $95 at the time after reading some reviews online here and there. Since then, I've learned...
If you had $300 to spend on headphones... - Page 2post #16 of 178/25/11 at 5:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/25/11 at 9:39pm
Cutting the budget in half will get you a low-mid grade headphone and a low-mid grade amp at best.
@ OP, I would consider purchasing any of the high quality, low impedence headphones like the ah-d2000s, any of the beyers in the 32 ohm-80 ohm category. Then you can have a pristine listening experience much superior to having a poor amp and poor headphone. Headphone amps really only make sense for headphones that push impedence and listening to its boundaries and one that actually feeds voltage through would cost well above $200 which is not leaving much for headphones in that budget.
Start with high quality low impedence cans to have the foundation for a good listening system, then upgrade to an amp later on (because you know you will eventually)
Edit: Looks like you did. Dt880 250 ohm, couldnt have given a better recommendation myself. Fantastic choice. I think for them to really shine they should be amped especially since they are the 250 ohm and not the 80 or 32.
I saw a FANTASTIC dac/amp/preamp with nothing but 5 star reviews and plenty of feedback, its the nuforce icon HDP. It retails around $400 bucks street price but it apparently has the quality of 1k to 15k amp set ups . It will REALLY do those cans justice and it would be the logical next step to foundate your inevitable addiction to audio that you will encompass as soon as you grab those dt880s and put them on.
Edited by Vonx - 8/25/11 at 9:46pm
- If you had $300 to spend on headphones...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Reversible AKG K701 bass mod 16 seconds ago
- › Dither is a prime suspect 2 minutes ago
- › VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - Zn (formerly Alto) + FORZA -... 3 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming) 5 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 5 minutes ago
- › Is it worth getting really high-end headphones if your source is... 5 minutes ago
- › Beresford Bushmaster MKII appreciation thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring... 9 minutes ago
- › Best drug-related album/CD or most "trippy" CD/album... 10 minutes ago
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3