I agree. I have both the DT880/250 and the M50 and I haven't heard anything that's as balanced as the DT880 for a similar price. Compared to the M50, the DT880 has less but quicker, more defined bass (quality > quantity). The M50 doesn't hold a candle to it when listening to acoustic instruments and/or vocal. I remember buying my DT880 from ProAudioStar about 4 months ago and they accepted an offer of $219. YMMV. I can't say anything about the AKG though since I've never tried those.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/29/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- topicShip Globaltagged by System, 8/29/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Closed headphone for rock that has Grado's "in your face" sound? Last post on 8/12/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which headphones would you choose under these conditions? Last post on 8/23/12 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hi guys, this is my first post and my first review, please consider too that I am not a native speaker, neither an audiophile. Right now I own a useless Fiio X3, its battery died and I have...
I'm not sure if this is the same model I got with my iPhone 4s or not. There have been tons of different models of these buds released for different i-devices. The ones that I received with my 4s...
I barely used them... got one pair and a few months later the left earpiece started cutting sound. The retail shop opened them and did a messy job, were working and then stopped. Got a 2nd pair,...
Wow...these cans seem to generate a lot of passion! Mr. Tech Agent's review below is a pretty tough act to follow, but I will try. 1st a quote from the literature that comes with the HD 650's:...
Final Audio Adagio III Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/744122/final-audio-adagio-iii-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Oh god,...
If you had $300 to spend on headphones... - Page 2post #16 of 178/25/11 at 5:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/25/11 at 9:39pm
Cutting the budget in half will get you a low-mid grade headphone and a low-mid grade amp at best.
@ OP, I would consider purchasing any of the high quality, low impedence headphones like the ah-d2000s, any of the beyers in the 32 ohm-80 ohm category. Then you can have a pristine listening experience much superior to having a poor amp and poor headphone. Headphone amps really only make sense for headphones that push impedence and listening to its boundaries and one that actually feeds voltage through would cost well above $200 which is not leaving much for headphones in that budget.
Start with high quality low impedence cans to have the foundation for a good listening system, then upgrade to an amp later on (because you know you will eventually)
Edit: Looks like you did. Dt880 250 ohm, couldnt have given a better recommendation myself. Fantastic choice. I think for them to really shine they should be amped especially since they are the 250 ohm and not the 80 or 32.
I saw a FANTASTIC dac/amp/preamp with nothing but 5 star reviews and plenty of feedback, its the nuforce icon HDP. It retails around $400 bucks street price but it apparently has the quality of 1k to 15k amp set ups . It will REALLY do those cans justice and it would be the logical next step to foundate your inevitable addiction to audio that you will encompass as soon as you grab those dt880s and put them on.
Edited by Vonx - 8/25/11 at 9:46pm
- If you had $300 to spend on headphones...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 39 seconds ago
- › Comparing the HD600 vs HD650 39 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for Amp or Receiver setup for my bookshelf speakers. 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Grados GR10 or Ety ER-4PT? 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by Arturoo123
- › Apple iPod Earphones Headphones for iPod Nano, Touch & Classic by GoldenGuy66
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)