I agree. I have both the DT880/250 and the M50 and I haven't heard anything that's as balanced as the DT880 for a similar price. Compared to the M50, the DT880 has less but quicker, more defined bass (quality > quantity). The M50 doesn't hold a candle to it when listening to acoustic instruments and/or vocal. I remember buying my DT880 from ProAudioStar about 4 months ago and they accepted an offer of $219. YMMV. I can't say anything about the AKG though since I've never tried those.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/29/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- topicShip Globaltagged by System, 8/29/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphone for rock that has Grado's "in your face" sound? Last post on 8/12/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which headphones would you choose under these conditions? Last post on 8/23/12 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Accurate/Neutral Sounding Headphones for Recording, Mixing, Tracking and General Listening for... Last post on 7/3/12 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Cayin have always intrigued me, their approach to portable audio isn't about sound quality alone, far from. Their designs are some of the most unique...
There is just so much craptastic dreck in the
If you had $300 to spend on headphones... - Page 2post #16 of 178/25/11 at 5:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/25/11 at 9:39pm
Cutting the budget in half will get you a low-mid grade headphone and a low-mid grade amp at best.
@ OP, I would consider purchasing any of the high quality, low impedence headphones like the ah-d2000s, any of the beyers in the 32 ohm-80 ohm category. Then you can have a pristine listening experience much superior to having a poor amp and poor headphone. Headphone amps really only make sense for headphones that push impedence and listening to its boundaries and one that actually feeds voltage through would cost well above $200 which is not leaving much for headphones in that budget.
Start with high quality low impedence cans to have the foundation for a good listening system, then upgrade to an amp later on (because you know you will eventually)
Edit: Looks like you did. Dt880 250 ohm, couldnt have given a better recommendation myself. Fantastic choice. I think for them to really shine they should be amped especially since they are the 250 ohm and not the 80 or 32.
I saw a FANTASTIC dac/amp/preamp with nothing but 5 star reviews and plenty of feedback, its the nuforce icon HDP. It retails around $400 bucks street price but it apparently has the quality of 1k to 15k amp set ups . It will REALLY do those cans justice and it would be the logical next step to foundate your inevitable addiction to audio that you will encompass as soon as you grab those dt880s and put them on.
Edited by Vonx - 8/25/11 at 9:46pm
- If you had $300 to spend on headphones...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 45 seconds ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on AuGlamour R8 and Sennheiser IE80 AAA grade inspired 2 minutes ago
- › tube amp for lcd-2 3 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 4 minutes ago
- › Are there really no differences in sound quality between amps? 4 minutes ago
- › Fake Senheiser IE800? 5 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by Asr
- › 1MORE EO323 Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by leesure
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse