I agree. I have both the DT880/250 and the M50 and I haven't heard anything that's as balanced as the DT880 for a similar price. Compared to the M50, the DT880 has less but quicker, more defined bass (quality > quantity). The M50 doesn't hold a candle to it when listening to acoustic instruments and/or vocal. I remember buying my DT880 from ProAudioStar about 4 months ago and they accepted an offer of $219. YMMV. I can't say anything about the AKG though since I've never tried those.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/29/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- topicShip Globaltagged by System, 8/29/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 8/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Closed headphone for rock that has Grado's "in your face" sound? Last post on 8/12/11 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best USB DAC/Amps for around $200? Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which headphones would you choose under these conditions? Last post on 8/23/12 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have to talk about my expectation on this Headphone first. I am not a senior audiophile. 3 years ago, my first pair of AKG K601 lead me into this wonderful world of audiophile. This pair...
IEMs I own and have used extensively before: Vsonic GR07 (single dynamic), Vsonic VC1000 (dual BA), Etymotic HF5 (single BA) (all around or slightly above $100). Fit and Comfort The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been working with RockJaw UK for the last 12 months giving feedback on their IEM...
Accessories (3.5/5): 1x Large, black, thick double-flange tips 1x Large, clear, bulbous single-flange tips 1x Large, clear, angled single-flanged tips 1x Medium, clear,...
I have my home listening station featuring a Hifiman 500 and the necessary economic infrastructure needed to make those shine. That's where I spend time deep listening, sipping hot tea, moving into...
If you had $300 to spend on headphones... - Page 2post #16 of 178/25/11 at 5:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/25/11 at 9:39pm
Cutting the budget in half will get you a low-mid grade headphone and a low-mid grade amp at best.
@ OP, I would consider purchasing any of the high quality, low impedence headphones like the ah-d2000s, any of the beyers in the 32 ohm-80 ohm category. Then you can have a pristine listening experience much superior to having a poor amp and poor headphone. Headphone amps really only make sense for headphones that push impedence and listening to its boundaries and one that actually feeds voltage through would cost well above $200 which is not leaving much for headphones in that budget.
Start with high quality low impedence cans to have the foundation for a good listening system, then upgrade to an amp later on (because you know you will eventually)
Edit: Looks like you did. Dt880 250 ohm, couldnt have given a better recommendation myself. Fantastic choice. I think for them to really shine they should be amped especially since they are the 250 ohm and not the 80 or 32.
I saw a FANTASTIC dac/amp/preamp with nothing but 5 star reviews and plenty of feedback, its the nuforce icon HDP. It retails around $400 bucks street price but it apparently has the quality of 1k to 15k amp set ups . It will REALLY do those cans justice and it would be the logical next step to foundate your inevitable addiction to audio that you will encompass as soon as you grab those dt880s and put them on.
Edited by Vonx - 8/25/11 at 9:46pm
- If you had $300 to spend on headphones...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › DAP setup best matched with M50 5 seconds ago
- › Alternative to the mdr 7506 36 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 58 seconds ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › New Hifiman Flagship (together with Unique Melody): RE1000 2 minutes ago
- › WARNING! SCAM! Final Audio Piano Forte X-G 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › ROCK JAW KOMMAND BA + Dynamic hybrid by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by Apex Eight
- › Westone UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit... by Sort
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by Mottom
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by Kenny Ingram
- › Yurbuds Ironman Focus Behind the Ear Performance Earloop Fit Sport... by ShadowZ32
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by Ander
- › T-PEOS 3Way Hybrid Premium Sound Earphone H-150 by faithguy19
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)