I just got these in the mail, and I decided to try them on. I purchased them for $109, which is a really good deal, but I am somewhat dissapointed. I don't see much of a difference in these and my previous crap Coby headphones which came packaged with earbuds and only cost $20. Besides a slight increase in bass, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I've heard you guys constantly rave about these headphones, but I don't see why. Am I listening to it wrong? What EQ setting should I use to get the maximum effect out of these? Because I'm hoping that it substantially improves.
Related Forum Threads
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
In my search for a good pair of earbuds, these where my next try. Better than the previous maxell I bought, but definitely the search must keep going. My ratings are; Bass 2/5,...
Grado SR80i Intro Thingy: I was wondering if I should even review the SR80i because Grado's e series cans came out not too long ago and I was thinking noone would heed my review 'cause the...
I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #3 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #4 of 318/24/11 at 3:48pmpost #5 of 318/24/11 at 3:53pmpost #6 of 318/24/11 at 3:55pmpost #7 of 318/24/11 at 3:56pmThread Starterpost #8 of 318/24/11 at 4:01pm
Sound Professionals are authorized Audio Technica dealer I believe so like others said, at least give it a fair shake for a week.Quote:post #9 of 318/24/11 at 4:06pmpost #10 of 318/24/11 at 4:07pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
But, are there any headphones that would have that instant "...wow..." effect when you put them on somebody out of the blue? I was thinking of buying the HFI-580's, but I have no idea as to if they'd have that specific effect.post #11 of 318/24/11 at 4:13pmpost #12 of 318/24/11 at 4:29pmQuote:
Depends what they're listening for. If you listen to some really low quality mono recordings and then listen to a high resolution lossless track on a flagship, sure, it's going to be night and day and give you a wow factor. But most people have decent quality music recordings these days and a lot of people listen on iBuds and are completely satisfied. The moment someone learns the price tag of a real headphone, they either turn green, or they laugh and think you wasted money and they're too cool for that jank.
I pretty much got wide eye'd from bass slam on the XB500 and PRO900. If that counts. Like:
Very best,post #13 of 318/24/11 at 4:48pm
the M50 sure WOWED me...especially with their earth shaking deep bass notes (this babies get super low) and their punch. also the rest of the spectrum is nicely linear. at first when i got them i used to compare them to the denon AHD5000 i also own. they are pretty **** close if you ask me!
anyway...try to use them with a decent source and good quality music files. hi fi is not only the headphone you know...post #14 of 318/24/11 at 5:14pm
Things You Need to Really Enjoy the M50s
1. Burn in, Burn in, Burn in! About 100 hrs is plenty
2. Good Quality Tracks. I mean anything under 256kbps will sound mediocre with these on. Even with that FLAC or CD rips will sound even better.
3. A Good Source. Ipods are okay but I hear that there are other mp3 devices that make the SQ better.
4. If you want but isn't required an amp. Though people here say that it only improves it slightly.
That's my advice. Spend some time with it. If it still doesn't work for you, return it and buy a different one.
- I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Vsonic VSD2 / VSD2S and AN16 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › what is the best portable music player to have? 4 minutes ago
- › Need advice for buying A/V receiver for existing Audioengine A5+... 6 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by 1Infinity
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2