I just got these in the mail, and I decided to try them on. I purchased them for $109, which is a really good deal, but I am somewhat dissapointed. I don't see much of a difference in these and my previous crap Coby headphones which came packaged with earbuds and only cost $20. Besides a slight increase in bass, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I've heard you guys constantly rave about these headphones, but I don't see why. Am I listening to it wrong? What EQ setting should I use to get the maximum effect out of these? Because I'm hoping that it substantially improves.
Related Forum Threads
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
The ATH-CK9’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. Built and accessories: The ATH-CKR9 is a dual dynamic IEM featuring two 13mm drivers. The drivers are...
I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #3 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #4 of 318/24/11 at 3:48pmpost #5 of 318/24/11 at 3:53pmpost #6 of 318/24/11 at 3:55pmpost #7 of 318/24/11 at 3:56pmThread Starterpost #8 of 318/24/11 at 4:01pm
Sound Professionals are authorized Audio Technica dealer I believe so like others said, at least give it a fair shake for a week.Quote:post #9 of 318/24/11 at 4:06pmpost #10 of 318/24/11 at 4:07pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
But, are there any headphones that would have that instant "...wow..." effect when you put them on somebody out of the blue? I was thinking of buying the HFI-580's, but I have no idea as to if they'd have that specific effect.post #11 of 318/24/11 at 4:13pmpost #12 of 318/24/11 at 4:29pmQuote:
Depends what they're listening for. If you listen to some really low quality mono recordings and then listen to a high resolution lossless track on a flagship, sure, it's going to be night and day and give you a wow factor. But most people have decent quality music recordings these days and a lot of people listen on iBuds and are completely satisfied. The moment someone learns the price tag of a real headphone, they either turn green, or they laugh and think you wasted money and they're too cool for that jank.
I pretty much got wide eye'd from bass slam on the XB500 and PRO900. If that counts. Like:
Very best,post #13 of 318/24/11 at 4:48pm
the M50 sure WOWED me...especially with their earth shaking deep bass notes (this babies get super low) and their punch. also the rest of the spectrum is nicely linear. at first when i got them i used to compare them to the denon AHD5000 i also own. they are pretty **** close if you ask me!
anyway...try to use them with a decent source and good quality music files. hi fi is not only the headphone you know...post #14 of 318/24/11 at 5:14pm
Things You Need to Really Enjoy the M50s
1. Burn in, Burn in, Burn in! About 100 hrs is plenty
2. Good Quality Tracks. I mean anything under 256kbps will sound mediocre with these on. Even with that FLAC or CD rips will sound even better.
3. A Good Source. Ipods are okay but I hear that there are other mp3 devices that make the SQ better.
4. If you want but isn't required an amp. Though people here say that it only improves it slightly.
That's my advice. Spend some time with it. If it still doesn't work for you, return it and buy a different one.
- I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Why tubes but no equalization? 7 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio New Product, Dock to Line Out and USB Converter L11 Comming Soon! 2 minutes ago
- › Help with microphone "stuttering" 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 3 minutes ago
- › Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550 3 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic amp A2 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones by Chiek
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2