I just got these in the mail, and I decided to try them on. I purchased them for $109, which is a really good deal, but I am somewhat dissapointed. I don't see much of a difference in these and my previous crap Coby headphones which came packaged with earbuds and only cost $20. Besides a slight increase in bass, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I've heard you guys constantly rave about these headphones, but I don't see why. Am I listening to it wrong? What EQ setting should I use to get the maximum effect out of these? Because I'm hoping that it substantially improves.
Related Forum Threads
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #3 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #4 of 318/24/11 at 3:48pmpost #5 of 318/24/11 at 3:53pmpost #6 of 318/24/11 at 3:55pmpost #7 of 318/24/11 at 3:56pmThread Starterpost #8 of 318/24/11 at 4:01pm
Sound Professionals are authorized Audio Technica dealer I believe so like others said, at least give it a fair shake for a week.Quote:post #9 of 318/24/11 at 4:06pmpost #10 of 318/24/11 at 4:07pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
But, are there any headphones that would have that instant "...wow..." effect when you put them on somebody out of the blue? I was thinking of buying the HFI-580's, but I have no idea as to if they'd have that specific effect.post #11 of 318/24/11 at 4:13pmpost #12 of 318/24/11 at 4:29pmQuote:
Depends what they're listening for. If you listen to some really low quality mono recordings and then listen to a high resolution lossless track on a flagship, sure, it's going to be night and day and give you a wow factor. But most people have decent quality music recordings these days and a lot of people listen on iBuds and are completely satisfied. The moment someone learns the price tag of a real headphone, they either turn green, or they laugh and think you wasted money and they're too cool for that jank.
I pretty much got wide eye'd from bass slam on the XB500 and PRO900. If that counts. Like:
Very best,post #13 of 318/24/11 at 4:48pm
the M50 sure WOWED me...especially with their earth shaking deep bass notes (this babies get super low) and their punch. also the rest of the spectrum is nicely linear. at first when i got them i used to compare them to the denon AHD5000 i also own. they are pretty **** close if you ask me!
anyway...try to use them with a decent source and good quality music files. hi fi is not only the headphone you know...post #14 of 318/24/11 at 5:14pm
Things You Need to Really Enjoy the M50s
1. Burn in, Burn in, Burn in! About 100 hrs is plenty
2. Good Quality Tracks. I mean anything under 256kbps will sound mediocre with these on. Even with that FLAC or CD rips will sound even better.
3. A Good Source. Ipods are okay but I hear that there are other mp3 devices that make the SQ better.
4. If you want but isn't required an amp. Though people here say that it only improves it slightly.
That's my advice. Spend some time with it. If it still doesn't work for you, return it and buy a different one.
- I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 10 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 201: Moving on up 56 seconds ago
- › Headphones up to £100 with DacMagic XS USB DAC 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › ATH-A500X Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP!... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 4 minutes ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)