I just got these in the mail, and I decided to try them on. I purchased them for $109, which is a really good deal, but I am somewhat dissapointed. I don't see much of a difference in these and my previous crap Coby headphones which came packaged with earbuds and only cost $20. Besides a slight increase in bass, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I've heard you guys constantly rave about these headphones, but I don't see why. Am I listening to it wrong? What EQ setting should I use to get the maximum effect out of these? Because I'm hoping that it substantially improves.
Related Forum Threads
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
a-JAYS Five Quick Review Thanks to JAYS for the sample. Full review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/695893/jays-a-jays-five-review Brief: JAYS notice that there are phones not made by...
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #3 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #4 of 318/24/11 at 3:48pmpost #5 of 318/24/11 at 3:53pmpost #6 of 318/24/11 at 3:55pmpost #7 of 318/24/11 at 3:56pmThread Starterpost #8 of 318/24/11 at 4:01pm
Sound Professionals are authorized Audio Technica dealer I believe so like others said, at least give it a fair shake for a week.Quote:post #9 of 318/24/11 at 4:06pmpost #10 of 318/24/11 at 4:07pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
But, are there any headphones that would have that instant "...wow..." effect when you put them on somebody out of the blue? I was thinking of buying the HFI-580's, but I have no idea as to if they'd have that specific effect.post #11 of 318/24/11 at 4:13pmpost #12 of 318/24/11 at 4:29pmQuote:
Depends what they're listening for. If you listen to some really low quality mono recordings and then listen to a high resolution lossless track on a flagship, sure, it's going to be night and day and give you a wow factor. But most people have decent quality music recordings these days and a lot of people listen on iBuds and are completely satisfied. The moment someone learns the price tag of a real headphone, they either turn green, or they laugh and think you wasted money and they're too cool for that jank.
I pretty much got wide eye'd from bass slam on the XB500 and PRO900. If that counts. Like:
Very best,post #13 of 318/24/11 at 4:48pm
the M50 sure WOWED me...especially with their earth shaking deep bass notes (this babies get super low) and their punch. also the rest of the spectrum is nicely linear. at first when i got them i used to compare them to the denon AHD5000 i also own. they are pretty **** close if you ask me!
anyway...try to use them with a decent source and good quality music files. hi fi is not only the headphone you know...post #14 of 318/24/11 at 5:14pm
Things You Need to Really Enjoy the M50s
1. Burn in, Burn in, Burn in! About 100 hrs is plenty
2. Good Quality Tracks. I mean anything under 256kbps will sound mediocre with these on. Even with that FLAC or CD rips will sound even better.
3. A Good Source. Ipods are okay but I hear that there are other mp3 devices that make the SQ better.
4. If you want but isn't required an amp. Though people here say that it only improves it slightly.
That's my advice. Spend some time with it. If it still doesn't work for you, return it and buy a different one.
- I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Upgrade from soundMAGIC E-30 25 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 27 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Review and Mods 3 minutes ago
- › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › TUNG SOL 5998 / CHATHAM 2399 TUBE New 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe