I just got these in the mail, and I decided to try them on. I purchased them for $109, which is a really good deal, but I am somewhat dissapointed. I don't see much of a difference in these and my previous crap Coby headphones which came packaged with earbuds and only cost $20. Besides a slight increase in bass, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I've heard you guys constantly rave about these headphones, but I don't see why. Am I listening to it wrong? What EQ setting should I use to get the maximum effect out of these? Because I'm hoping that it substantially improves.
Related Forum Threads
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #3 of 318/24/11 at 3:44pmpost #4 of 318/24/11 at 3:48pmpost #5 of 318/24/11 at 3:53pmpost #6 of 318/24/11 at 3:55pmpost #7 of 318/24/11 at 3:56pmThread Starterpost #8 of 318/24/11 at 4:01pm
Sound Professionals are authorized Audio Technica dealer I believe so like others said, at least give it a fair shake for a week.Quote:post #9 of 318/24/11 at 4:06pmpost #10 of 318/24/11 at 4:07pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
But, are there any headphones that would have that instant "...wow..." effect when you put them on somebody out of the blue? I was thinking of buying the HFI-580's, but I have no idea as to if they'd have that specific effect.post #11 of 318/24/11 at 4:13pmpost #12 of 318/24/11 at 4:29pmQuote:
Depends what they're listening for. If you listen to some really low quality mono recordings and then listen to a high resolution lossless track on a flagship, sure, it's going to be night and day and give you a wow factor. But most people have decent quality music recordings these days and a lot of people listen on iBuds and are completely satisfied. The moment someone learns the price tag of a real headphone, they either turn green, or they laugh and think you wasted money and they're too cool for that jank.
I pretty much got wide eye'd from bass slam on the XB500 and PRO900. If that counts. Like:
Very best,post #13 of 318/24/11 at 4:48pm
the M50 sure WOWED me...especially with their earth shaking deep bass notes (this babies get super low) and their punch. also the rest of the spectrum is nicely linear. at first when i got them i used to compare them to the denon AHD5000 i also own. they are pretty **** close if you ask me!
anyway...try to use them with a decent source and good quality music files. hi fi is not only the headphone you know...post #14 of 318/24/11 at 5:14pm
Things You Need to Really Enjoy the M50s
1. Burn in, Burn in, Burn in! About 100 hrs is plenty
2. Good Quality Tracks. I mean anything under 256kbps will sound mediocre with these on. Even with that FLAC or CD rips will sound even better.
3. A Good Source. Ipods are okay but I hear that there are other mp3 devices that make the SQ better.
4. If you want but isn't required an amp. Though people here say that it only improves it slightly.
That's my advice. Spend some time with it. If it still doesn't work for you, return it and buy a different one.
- I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 42 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-6 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! ... 1 minute ago
- › iPad iPhone with 24bit or DSD files / high storage capacity /... 1 minute ago
- › Amp/odac connection to sound card 1 minute ago
- › Calculating Loudness 3 minutes ago
- › HD650 vs HE-300/400 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › the BEST male vocals (your favorite male singers) 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 4 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)