Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › best amp for hd 800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best amp for hd 800 - Page 3

post #31 of 100

I tried a Woo SA6 but didn't find it to my liking, lacking some drive, so I tried my Little Dot V11 and found plenty of drive but sound a little bright, then tried my old Consonance Cyber20, this proved to be the best all round with the nice EL84 output triodes connected amply driving the HD800s with a lrge soundstage excellent bass (better than my Ultrsone Pro900s) and treble, still experimenting with leads connecting to my Mytek dac, give the Consonance a go if you can find one.

post #32 of 100

what tubes on wa6 when you tried it?  the hd800 needs 6fd7 and an upgrade rectifier to give it justice,

post #33 of 100

Tubes used Sylvania  6CY7 and original Mullard GZ32

post #34 of 100

Problem w/ the Lyr for the HD800 is the lack of absolute detail and resolution.  The strengths of the HD800.  I think if you have cheaper phones that would synergize better and save your wallet.  I like the Lyr but I think the HD800 and some others are too much phone for it tbh.   

post #35 of 100

+1 on the DNA Sonett.

Just a beautiful and transparent sounding amp with just the right amount of sweetness for the HD-800. I liked it as much as a Leben CS300.

post #36 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

+1 on the DNA Sonett.

Just a beautiful and transparent sounding amp with just the right amount of sweetness for the HD-800. I liked it as much as a Leben CS300.


If you like the Sonett, the Stratus is very nice though way beyond $1000.

 

post #37 of 100

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter10 View Post

hi guys i am looking for the best amp for my hd 800 headphones. Any ideas?


  1. Apex Pinnacle (with the switch set on the high impedance output.)
  2. Eddie Current Balancing Act
  3. DNA Stratus
  4. Woo WA5
  5. Leben CS300. Although I personally detest this amp, it's worth it an audition with the HD800s.

 

All these amps sound different and have their own sound imparted upon them by their designer. You may need to "find your sound" before you decide. Less expensive amps that have a similar sound to any of the above, but not as good overall, were not indicated because you said you wanted the best.

 

Edited by purrin - 3/27/12 at 11:21pm
post #38 of 100
$799 m1 hpa sound good with Hd800. Don't be deceive by low price, i just done a comparison with headroom desktop ultra (2x its price) and it outperform it in every way. More airy, extended high deeper and punchier bass. Soundstage is wider as well.
post #39 of 100

Those headroom amps are just murder on the HD800.

 

The price thing is totally misunderstood.  Some well and best performing gear happens to cost what it does, other less performing gear is a rip off unless you prefer that signature.  Price has zero relation to actual performance other than parts and labor cost, etc.  People that think the most expensive gear performs the best and people that think $150 worth of parts gets you the best performance are equally deluded.  

post #40 of 100

I recommend audition of both the Leben and WA22.  The latter does require a balanced source.  Both response to tube rolling, which is necessary to get it right (tame the high), IMO.

post #41 of 100



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

$799 m1 hpa sound good with Hd800. Don't be deceive by low price, i just done a comparison with headroom desktop ultra (2x its price) and it outperform it in every way. More airy, extended high deeper and punchier bass. Soundstage is wider as well.


 Not a fan of the m1 hpa. Compared to the Sonett you lose a lot o detail, transperancy and fun factor.

post #42 of 100



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


If you like the Sonett, the Stratus is very nice though way beyond $1000.

 


One day I will have to try this amp!

I heard that it sounds like a Sonett but with much more power behind it.
 

 

post #43 of 100



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 


  1. Apex Pinnacle (with the switch set on the high impedance output.)
  2. Eddie Current Balancing Act
  3. DNA Stratus
  4. Woo WA5
  5. Leben CS300. Although I personally detest this amp, it's worth it an audition with the HD800s.

 

All these amps sound different and have their own sound imparted upon them by their designer. You may need to "find your sound" before you decide. Less expensive amps that have a similar sound to any of the above, but not as good overall, were not indicated because you said you wanted the best.

 


With a budget of 1K the Pinnacle could be a smallish stretchbiggrin.gif Just kiddin'.

Have you heard DNA Stratus with the HD-800 and LCD-2/3? A comparison would be absolutely great.
 

 

post #44 of 100

Ooops. My bad. Didn't see the 1k budget post.

post #45 of 100

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

With a budget of 1K the Pinnacle could be a smallish stretchbiggrin.gif Just kiddin'.

Have you heard DNA Stratus with the HD-800 and LCD-2/3? A comparison would be absolutely great.


Donald just e-mailed me and let me know they are assembling their first production unit. Maybe Anax and I swing by and take a listen. The new LCD3s are much more neutral and close the tonal gap with the HD800s. I really loved the HD800 out of the Stratus, so it's likely I'll like the LCD3 out of it too. The Status with the stock Chinese tubes are a little bit more romantic sounding than the EC amps, but not quite as much as the WA5. The Stratus does NOT sound overly warm, gooey, or have flutter in the bass. It's neutral sounding. I think Donald's is putting in a 120ohm selector for the Beyer / Senn cans that could use it. Great dynamics and involving sound. Generally, I don't find music involving unless there's plenty of "plankton."

 

DISCLAIMER: Donald is a really nice guy with an upbeat positive attitude, so it's possible I may have been Jedi mind-tricked into liking the amp.

 


Edited by purrin - 3/28/12 at 9:52am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › best amp for hd 800