Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Sansa Clip Zip is out! - Page 10

post #136 of 391

Yeah, the site is a bit badly structured - you find them from the front page > extras > fonts > then the tiny link on the manual install site.

post #137 of 391

Sorry to sound like a noob but can someone fill me in with what RockBox does? I know it's a different firmware but what exactly is different about it from the factory firmware?

post #138 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire23 View Post

Sorry to sound like a noob but can someone fill me in with what RockBox does? I know it's a different firmware but what exactly is different about it from the factory firmware?


The best analogy I can think of is that Rockbox the "Linux of PMP's"...lame I know.

 

Basically it allows you to customize almost anything about the system and has everything the stock OS has but more. By default, Rockbox has you navigate your files via folders, so for those of you who have very organized music libraries (such as myself), Rockbox makes it more convenient to browse your media. There are also a lot of cool demos that Rockbox has that are fun to play around with (including but not limited to playing minesweeper, bar and spectrogram visualizers, battery benchmark, etc). It's hard to describe Rockbox without actually experiencing it, much like Linux from my limited experience.

 

I say, give it a shot since it doesn't hurt. It utilizes a dual-boot system if you install it normally so your stock PMP's operating system will still be there, as well as all of its settings and media. I'm still fairly new to Rockbox, so I'm slowly chugging my way through the large Manual to understand what all of the settings do.

 

Rockbox installer download location:

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

 


Edited by miceblue - 3/5/12 at 12:26am
post #139 of 391

Ordered, but for some reason Amazon says 2-3 weeks blink.gif Maybe cause i got the white one?

 

If i can get album art to work correctly for once i will be in love with this thing!


Edited by Astrozombie - 3/5/12 at 3:01am
post #140 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post

Ordered, but for some reason Amazon says 2-3 weeks blink.gif Maybe cause i got the white one?

 

If i can get album art to work correctly for once i will be in love with this thing!


Album art works for the most part. Just make sure it's below 100kB. However, even at that, some of my album art doesn't display for some odd reason. Scanned image -> convert to JPEG -> scale JPEG to be under 100kB = doesn't work for me.

EDIT: I found the secret! Album art does have to be under 100kB and it is most compatible with JPEG images. However, make sure your album art is named "album art.jpg" or "folder.jpg"; my previous issue was that my album arts' names were "cover.jpg" which doesn't work.
Edited by miceblue - 3/7/12 at 4:17am
post #141 of 391

I got mine in the mail yesterday and it's been nothing but problems so far :(.

 

For starts, the stock fw won't read my SD card. It either freezes or says nothing is there. I would prefer stock fw honestly, just because I can't say I really like Rockbox's UI, even with different themes.

 

In Rockbox it does read the SD card fortunately. However, after every time it shuts off it takes forever to boot back up and says something like "No .rockbox directory" then a few seconds later says "Installation complete" and I have to rebuild my database after every time. Or it simply won't boot at all and I have to hard reset like 5 times..

 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Rockbox more times than I can count on one hand, and also formatted both the SD and the Clip itself multiple times, reinstalled stock fw over and over. I've done practically everything I can think of and/or that I have read by Googling. I really like the product itself if it would just work right for me! :(


Edited by Aaron1006 - 3/9/12 at 6:46am
post #142 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


Album art works for the most part. Just make sure it's below 100kB. However, even at that, some of my album art doesn't display for some odd reason. Scanned image -> convert to JPEG -> scale JPEG to be under 100kB = doesn't work for me.
EDIT: I found the secret! Album art does have to be under 100kB and it is most compatible with JPEG images. However, make sure your album art is named "album art.jpg" or "folder.jpg"; my previous issue was that my album arts' names were "cover.jpg" which doesn't work.


Are you sure about this?

 

According to the Sansa Clip Zip Rockbox manual "cover.jpg" and folder.jpg" should work (as long as they're under 100Kb) but "album_art.jpg" won't.

 

The order Rockbox uses when looking for a picture is as follows (a list in braces means that those file extensions are tried in that order):

 

1. embedded (JPEG images in ID3v2 or MP4 tags only)
2. ./filename.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
3. ./albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
4. ./cover.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
5. ./folder.jpg
6. /.rockbox/albumart/albumartist-albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
7. ../albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
8. ../cover.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}

 

 

 

 


 

 

post #143 of 391

I use cover.jpg on all my rockboxed players. Size doesn't matter (that's only an issue with embedded art), anything works - just make sure they're no progressive JPEGs, and they're RGB, not CMYK.


Edited by dfkt - 3/9/12 at 8:38am
post #144 of 391


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD1975 View Post


Are you sure about this?

 

According to the Sansa Clip Zip Rockbox manual "cover.jpg" and folder.jpg" should work (as long as they're under 100Kb) but "album_art.jpg" won't.

 

The order Rockbox uses when looking for a picture is as follows (a list in braces means that those file extensions are tried in that order):

 

1. embedded (JPEG images in ID3v2 or MP4 tags only)
2. ./filename.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
3. ./albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
4. ./cover.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
5. ./folder.jpg
6. /.rockbox/albumart/albumartist-albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
7. ../albumtitle.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}
8. ../cover.{jpeg,jpg,bmp}

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

I use cover.jpg on all my rockboxed players. Size doesn't matter (that's only an issue with embedded art), anything works - just make sure they're no progressive JPEGs, and they're RGB, not CMYK.

 

 

Maybe my original "cover.jpg" files were bad. I haven't had any issues with the "folder.jpg" photos, so maybe I'll try the "cover.jpg" again when I get the chance.

post #145 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1006 View Post

I got mine in the mail yesterday and it's been nothing but problems so far :(.

 

For starts, the stock fw won't read my SD card. It either freezes or says nothing is there. I would prefer stock fw honestly, just because I can't say I really like Rockbox's UI, even with different themes.

 

In Rockbox it does read the SD card fortunately. However, after every time it shuts off it takes forever to boot back up and says something like "No .rockbox directory" then a few seconds later says "Installation complete" and I have to rebuild my database after every time. Or it simply won't boot at all and I have to hard reset like 5 times..

 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Rockbox more times than I can count on one hand, and also formatted both the SD and the Clip itself multiple times, reinstalled stock fw over and over. I've done practically everything I can think of and/or that I have read by Googling. I really like the product itself if it would just work right for me! :(


Wow, that sounds like a faulty product. Mine worked just fine out of the box and even read a microSD card (though it took around 2 minutes to refresh the media). For installing Rockbox, I just use the Rockbox utility since I don't have to worry about putting files in the wrong places.

 

post #146 of 391

I used the Rockbox utility as well. I'm starting to think it may be problems with my SD card because it seems a lot of the times the problems go away when its not in :S

post #147 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1006 View Post

I used the Rockbox utility as well. I'm starting to think it may be problems with my SD card because it seems a lot of the times the problems go away when its not in :S



the clip and clip zip are finicky with sd cards - low quality or fake sd cards will certainly cause problems.

post #148 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1006 View Post

I used the Rockbox utility as well. I'm starting to think it may be problems with my SD card because it seems a lot of the times the problems go away when its not in :S


If you have $30, I recommend the SanDisk 32 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Card from Amazon.com. I wrote a review for it yesterday actually, username 'narfybob.' It works perfectly fine with my Clip Zip. I ordered mine through the MemoryMogul vendor, and it came with a free microSD card adapter, which is not in the product description.

 

post #149 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD1975 View Post


Are you sure about this?

 

According to the Sansa Clip Zip Rockbox manual "cover.jpg" and folder.jpg" should work (as long as they're under 100Kb) but "album_art.jpg" won't.

 

Oh sorry about that. I thought we were talking about album art being displayed on the Clip Zip's native OS, not Rockbox, since Astrozombie said:

Quote:
If i can get album art to work correctly for once i will be in love with this thing!

 


I can confirm that, in Clip Zip OS, "cover.jpg" does not work.

Scanned the image as a TIFF file -> scaled and saved it as a JPEG file less than 100 kB (94 kB to be exact), file name = "cover.jpg"

Put the SD card into the Clip Zip, and all I get is the stock album art.

DSCN3099.JPG

 

Pop the SD card back into my computer and rename the image file to "folder.jpg"

Put it back into the Clip Zip, and now the album art is displayed correctly.

DSCN3098.JPG

 


Edited by miceblue - 3/10/12 at 2:09am
post #150 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire23 View Post

Sorry to sound like a noob but can someone fill me in with what RockBox does? I know it's a different firmware but what exactly is different about it from the factory firmware?

If you're still curious about Rockbox OS, I uploaded a video demonstrating some of the features of Rockbox on my Clip Zip.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › New Sansa Clip Zip is out!