New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman RE272: Review - Page 11

post #151 of 272

i haven't tried the fx700 , but imo the 272 is better than the eq-5 - and if as you say the zo gives 272 a nice bass boost then i can see your eq5 going to the fs threads soon wink_face.gif

 

i have said it before and i will say it again - i think the 272 may be the top iem for the prices up to 250$
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

I gotta admit, I'm growing more and more fond of the highly detailed and crisp clear presentation of the 272's, as if I'm enjoying the ER4S with a thicker presentation and in a much better shell. Considering that the Zo leaves me with little to be desired in terms of bass, I'd say the 272's may have earned themselves a permanent seat, right besides the e-Q5 and FX700. Though I'll give them a few days time before that's official. smile.gif



 

post #152 of 272

Believe it or not, the very reason I'm considering hanging onto the RE272 is NOT because I feel it offers me anything over my e-Q5 (per se), but because it's much too different, and is quite the compliment. Each of the 3 are there to serve different purposes. In other words, the RE272 is my go to analytical in-ear, the e-Q5 is the middle ground (neutral, well balanced, and all the while fun & musical), and the FX700 is my go to bass heavy in-ear. Couldn't ask for more! Then again, I suppose I could, since I DO have the UM Miracle headed my way mid-to-late November. wink.gif

post #153 of 272

Nah, ZO bass boost is pretty horrible with any IEM or headphone. Causes pretty bad midbass or low bass overload depending on headphone.

Same reason why FiiO's E7 bass boost is useless. ZO's has a better placed knee (lower), but still not low enough. Also there's not enough precision on either of these.

 

It seems that there's no reasonable replacement for actual DSP when equalizing, as accurate eq needs many biquads or an FFT filter.

While GR07 can be decently equalized with 5 biquads + 2 shelves, RE 272 needs at least 9+2, which is large and expensive.

Guess I need to put my next project into motion sooner rather than later. (That is, using Analog Devices ADM1701 MINI-BZ or newer for audio processing. Like MiniDSP, but without their silly software - I can do better than them.)

 

Note that RE 272's subbass is around 6 dB below GR07's and it seems that my eq for GR07 actually features about 3-4 dB bass cut except lowest subbass (below 40 Hz), while RE 272 needs a bass boost below 150 Hz, around 6 dB/oct. All the "glassy" gritty feeling goes away, mid detailing becomes precise instead of just smooth. (the smooth feeling is due to the 3kHz cut) Oh, and improves soundstage width to better than CK10.

 

Funny enough, RE 272's bass is actually perfectly rounded, controlled, impactful and detailed, just much too quiet. Fixing this deficiency makes it actually the best at synth bass and square waves I've ever heard. There are no compression artifacts at all despite the boost, nor is there any ringing.

That's in opposition to all BA IEMs I've heard, which can't get bass even with huge equalization. At most they get huge ringing something that approximates bass.

I'd be hard pressed to find a BA IEM that matches the detailing. For example, my old SA6 doesn't even come close in its best range, the mids, W4 seems smoothed out in comparison, heck, ATH CK10 are about on par (I think slightly behind), and that's one of the best in detail. Their highs actually are a bit of "fake" detail grit that disappears after eq. They're very slightly *less* extended upwards than RE 272 (end around 18.5 kHz)

(Note: All of the mentioned IEMs have been equalized; W4 is quite cut in higher mids, CK10 quite a bit in the bass.)

 

Note to self: Do not borrow any other IEMs just to check if they're better. They're almost certainly not.

(Well, perhaps j-phonic K2 could be as good, but that's impossible to find; or maybe a custom, but likely not Westone's.)

 

--

i2echan: If you equalize RE 272, they become so much more musical instead of clinical. Highly recommended.


Edited by AstralStorm - 11/2/11 at 2:02pm
post #154 of 272

 

Originally Posted by proedros View Post

i haven't tried the fx700 , but imo the 272 is better than the eq-5 - and if as you say the zo gives 272 a nice bass boost then i can see your eq5 going to the fs threads soon wink_face.gif

 

i have said it before and i will say it again - i think the 272 may be the top iem for the prices up to 250$

There is no "top iem" or "best" in any price bracket, perhaps it's "one of" but there are going to be users liking IEMs like the EQ5, MDR7550, A1, etc. over these. It's all about preference and what you're looking for, finding that personal sweetspot doesn't guarantee others will with the same IEM. 

 

Hoping to hear these soon and will actually compare them to the EQ5 and GR07. 

post #155 of 272

I am getting better bass after switching to GR07 tips.  Has anyone had the 272 long enough to give feedback as to improvements in bass after more than 150 - 200 hrs.  Just wanted to know if they improved after that time, as my GR07 improved after 200 hrs.  I have about 50 hrs on mine, and I can say that the bass has good extension, not much midbass compared to GR07.  But with the GR07 tips some of the dryness is gone.

 

This morning I am listening to the 272 source DVD Audio and SACD, from my Denon 4010 > Mingda Headphone Tube amp > GR07, 7550, and 272.  The 272 sound very balanced this way, actually slightly behind GR07 bass/subbass, vocals shine with 272 > GR07.  7550 beats them both overall, great vocal and overal seperation and clarity, I can feel the tight sub bass in my body more that the other two, also more feeling and emotion with 7550, realistic.  But I can sure like the 272 as well.  Great source though, very high resolution on my main system.  Can't say the same about my portable rig, Sansa Clip Zip > Fiio 11, listening to flacs, there is not the differences as with my main rig.


Edited by cute - 11/3/11 at 8:41am
post #156 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

Believe it or not, the very reason I'm considering hanging onto the RE272 is NOT because I feel it offers me anything over my e-Q5 (per se), but because it's much too different, and is quite the compliment. Each of the 3 are there to serve different purposes. In other words, the RE272 is my go to analytical in-ear, the e-Q5 is the middle ground (neutral, well balanced, and all the while fun & musical), and the FX700 is my go to bass heavy in-ear. Couldn't ask for more! Then again, I suppose I could, since I DO have the UM Miracle headed my way mid-to-late November. wink.gif

 

Well, I really like all three of these IEMs as well, but I wouldn't categorize them so strictly. I think RE272 can be more fun than the e-Q5 with some music and sources, and depending on personal preferences. I think RE272 does bass better than e-Q5 and I enjoy drums more on the RE272, which sounds more precise and detailed to me in the low frequencies. I also enjoy the highs more on the RE272 because they have more sparkle to them. As for FX700 - I think bass is actually not their main strength. I think FX700 does mids and highs just as well, if not better than it does bass. In fact, I enjoy the mids and highs on the FX700 more than their bass, which I find overpowering at times and not as fast and precise as that on RE272 and e-Q5. The mids and highs however are simply superb on the JVCs and I would definitely take their treble over that of the e-Q5 and the mids are at least as good on as on the e-Q5 quality wise and perhaps a tad behind RE272s mids IMO.

post #157 of 272

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

Well, I really like all three of these IEMs as well, but I wouldn't categorize them so strictly. I think RE272 can be more fun than the e-Q5 with some music and sources, and depending on personal preferences. I think RE272 does bass better than e-Q5 and I enjoy drums more on the RE272, which sounds more precise and detailed to me in the low frequencies. I also enjoy the highs more on the RE272 because they have more sparkle to them. As for FX700 - I think bass is actually not their main strength. I think FX700 does mids and highs just as well, if not better than it does bass. In fact, I enjoy the mids and highs on the FX700 more than their bass, which I find overpowering at times and not as fast and precise as that on RE272 and e-Q5. The mids and highs however are simply superb on the JVCs and I would definitely take their treble over that of the e-Q5 and the mids are at least as good on as on the e-Q5 quality wise and perhaps a tad behind RE272s mids IMO.

 

Agreed. smile.gif

 

post #158 of 272

Just sold my Ex1000, and thinking of getting either the RE262 or RE272.     I like the sound signature of EX1000 but find the lack of isolation and slight fit issue  a problem.   Heard that RE262 benefits from amping and thought will be a good match for my Fostex HP-P1.     But if RE272 is as good as many of you commented, I am thinking of giving it a go.......Any advise will be appreciated.

post #159 of 272

Even more suprises: I find RE 272 even more comfortable and even when using small old Sennheiser olives. (squarish cross-section like typical silicones, unlike Shure's)

In my case, they allow slightly deeper insertion too.

Bass gets slightly more impactful, slightly better and evener highs, slightly wider soundstage; but the main win is that they fit more securely and isolate quite a bit better than VSonic's tips, which used to fall out of ears sometimes, "turn" and close ear canal or cause a suction effect.

 

Guess I should really get some custom tips for these. Would any company be up to the task or will I have to experiment myself?

post #160 of 272

had both the 262 and the 272 and they are quite different animals

262 has better bass/mids but the treble is rolled-off
272 has better treble and is more analytical than musical

 

i prefer the 272 cause the 262's treble roll-off was getting at my nerves (i was catching myself using the re-zero as well , imagine)

 

there is a price difference as well , 262 goes for 150$ new while the 272 goes for 250$

 

i am glad i got the 272 , but maybe 262 is your flavour so do what you feel like doing

 

both are great IEMs though.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionx View Post

Just sold my Ex1000, and thinking of getting either the RE262 or RE272.     I like the sound signature of EX1000 but find the lack of isolation and slight fit issue  a problem.   Heard that RE262 benefits from amping and thought will be a good match for my Fostex HP-P1.     But if RE272 is as good as many of you commented, I am thinking of giving it a go.......Any advise will be appreciated.



 

post #161 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

had both the 262 and the 272 and they are quite different animals

262 has better bass/mids but the treble is rolled-off
272 has better treble and is more analytical than musical

 

i prefer the 272 cause the 262's treble roll-off was getting at my nerves (i was catching myself using the re-zero as well , imagine)

 

there is a price difference as well , 262 goes for 150$ new while the 272 goes for 250$

 

i am glad i got the 272 , but maybe 262 is your flavour so do what you feel like doing

 

both are great IEMs though.
 



 


Thanks proedros for your advise.  Looks like i will go ahead and order the RE262 since it is pretty good value at 150$, and also i prefer musical than analytical sound.    Reserving my $$ for the Sony XBA-4.  

 

post #162 of 272

With the Senn olives, the response is within 6 dB of ideal in range 60 Hz - 16 kHz. That's a great result!

(reference level at 500 Hz, sine tone equalization; could be a bit simplified still)

The only other IEM that came close is Westone 4, which has an uncorrectable bass flaw (mediocre detailing, ringy bass) and is less extended upwards.

 

Final equalization (for the olives) goes below:

RE-272-olives-final.png

 

Fun fact: if the crossfeed is disabled, this equalization gives perfect binaural setup, all line stringed on a line going right through the head - but gives excellent results with the few binaural recordings I have.

 


Edited by AstralStorm - 11/6/11 at 7:39pm
post #163 of 272


Senn olives?  You talkin foam or silicone?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm View Post

With the Senn olives, the response is within 6 dB of ideal in range 60 Hz - 16 kHz. That's a great result!

(reference level at 500 Hz, sine tone equalization; could be a bit simplified still)

The only other IEM that came close is Westone 4, which has an uncorrectable bass flaw (mediocre detailing, ringy bass) and is less extended upwards.

 

Final equalization (for the olives) goes below:

RE-272-olives-final.png

 

Fun fact: if the crossfeed is disabled, this equalization gives perfect binaural setup, all line stringed on a line going right through the head - but gives excellent results with the few binaural recordings I have.

 



 

post #164 of 272


The Senn olives you refer to in your post ^, you didn't specify.....
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post


Senn olives?  You talkin foam or silicone?
 



 



 

 

post #165 of 272

These tips are made from thicker silicone, are very short and get much softer as they warm up. I'm looking for the part number to get a spare - they're bundled with IE7 and IE8. Joker calls them "mushroom" tips.

 

They're very similar or the same tips as the ones used by Marshmallows, slightly more square profile. I've tried to paste the picture, but the forum didn't cooperate, so see them in the Joker's big review thread at 3C5: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/

 

The only possible fit is over the ear, channel inverted one. When fitted correctly, they're non-resonant, as in they don't amplify your voice appreciably.

 


Edited by AstralStorm - 11/7/11 at 11:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: