Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH440 First Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH440 First Impressions

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

I know there have been a lot of other threads with impressions about these headphones, but I love them, and I needed to say why to someone else who would understand.

 

For reference, I am using these with the SRH840 Pads, powered through a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium & Behringer Xenyx 1202FX Amp/Mixer.

 

So lets go!

 

First off, Comfort. A lot of impressions said they felt these headphones were heavy, or the headband was painful. I've been wearing mine hours on end since I got them and I haven't experienced any discomfort with the headband, or the weight though to be fair I am used to wearing a PC Headset most of the time and they usually run heavy. Also the SRH840 Pads make a huge difference in the pad comfort. The memory foam makes them squishy and feel like they're not even there.

 

Isolation: Again the 840 Pads help with this, but they isolate outside noise to the point my wife has had to come to the top of the stairs in the office and pound on something before I can hear her at all. She was not pleased she had been screaming up the stairs and I couldn't hear her.

 

Sound Quality: AMAZING. This is my first pair of professional headphones but they are so crisp and crystal clear it's hard to believe. The Highs and Mids ring true even over the ample bass. I know there are a lot of people who seem to feel this set is lacking in the bass department. I am not a basshead, but I have listened to several bass heavy albums (the Dubsteb Saved My Life mix CDs, Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday, The Marshall Mathers LP, Dre - 2001) and there was plenty of bass to go around.

 

They also fair very well with quieter pieces (Iron & Wine - In The Reins, Crosby Stills Nash & Young - So Far, Andrew Bird - Live in Montreal). With Andrew Bird - LiM I could actually hear as he hit the pedals to start and end loops of violin pieces. I could hear every snicker and whisper from the audience. I could even hear him quietly counting time to himself between loops. I'd never been able to hear that on any set of speakers or headphones I own.

 

They're also a great set for rock (Foo Fighters - Wasting Light, Incubus - If Not Now, When?) Vocals shine through heavy guitar with no distortion and no single part drowns out the other. Every aspect of the music seems perfectly balanced at all times.

 

Overall I couldn't be happier with these headphones, and can't wait until I can afford a pair of phones that will make these sounds bad. Thanks again to the community here for helping me make a great decision, and I'll be updating this with impressions through my Samsung Epic 4G w/ FiiO E5 tomorrow evening!

 

OKAY!

 

My FiiO E5 Arrived, and I'm listening to the 440s with the amp right now. I know the E5 is a very entry level amp, but even for the 20 dollars, the little nudge in volume and bass that this amp gives really makes these cans shine even more. Mids and Highs are more defined, and bass has that added THUMP that seemed to be missing before. I'm glad I picked this up as a starter amp, and I'll certainly be picking up the cmoy omap2227 amp I want asap! If a starter amp like this helps, I can't wait to hear a decent amp power these cans. It just makes me want the 840s that much more. Soon...


Edited by Hexidecimal - 8/24/11 at 3:24pm
post #2 of 22

Nice impressions!  We at Team Shure formally welcome you to the club.smily_headphones1.gif  The 440 is indeed very impressive in its overall clarity and musical definition.  It quickly become clear during my first listening session with these that they were something special.


Edited by Digital-Pride - 8/23/11 at 6:18pm
post #3 of 22

A bit underrated.. And the M50 a bit overrated. I think these sound better imo.. 

 

You try gaming using your X-fi Card and lets say Black ops or BC2 using your Shures? Directional sound is freaking awesome on em... They are my current fave headphone for gaming actually.

post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 

I haven't actually tried gaming on them yet. I just reformatted my main machine and don't have anything installed, but I do have both of the games. I'll load them up and check it out tonight after I run my FiiO E5 through it's paces.

 

I'm actually contemplating another pair of cans now and am conflicted between these three sets: Shure SRH840s vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50s vs Ultrasone HFI-850s. Any opinions, is it worth the upgrade?

post #5 of 22


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexidecimal View Post

I haven't actually tried gaming on them yet. I just reformatted my main machine and don't have anything installed, but I do have both of the games. I'll load them up and check it out tonight after I run my FiiO E5 through it's paces.

 

I'm actually contemplating another pair of cans now and am conflicted between these three sets: Shure SRH840s vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50s vs Ultrasone HFI-850s. Any opinions, is it worth the upgrade?

You know, there are so many different sound signatures for each headphone line.. Like I mentioned above. I actually think getting a M50 would be a side grade and not necessarily an upgrade.. If you like Bass heavy music... Go for the Ultrasone HFi-580.. I have the DJ1s which is the same. They will put a smile on your face..The Bass is how you say... Kick ass. These will clearly out thump the other 2 mentioned..

 

The Dj1s cost about $15 cheaper for some reason. Read the HFi-580 appreciation thread if you want more impressions of em.. Get something different is what I say..

 

Plus everyone should have at least one Ultrasone.. Wait till you play games with your X-fi CMSS-3D using your Shure SRH440.. It truly doesn't get much better..
 

 

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 

I was kind of leaning that way. It seemed like the ATH-M50s were on the same level as the 440s with 840 pads. Probably going to make the Hfi-850s my next set then. Thanks for the recommendation.

post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexidecimal View Post

 Probably going to make the Hfi-850s my next set then.

Why not the pro 900 seems this one is more popular here (and you can find it at 350$ at amazon) . Also you are so much praising your srh400, that I'm wondering if the srh940 I  got,  was worth the cost.
 

 

post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 

$350 for one pair of phones is out of my range at this point. Both the HFi-850s and the SRH840s can be had at or below 150 bucks. That I can afford soon.


Edited by Hexidecimal - 8/24/11 at 12:03pm
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 

Updated: Amp impressions added.

post #10 of 22

Did you enable the bass boost mode of your FiiO E5 ? Try to switch it off, and compare without amp.

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 

I did. There is a small boost but mostly volume without the bass boost switch on. Switching on the bass boost adds a noticeable thump. I prefer it on on most of the tracks I've listened to.

 

I also listened again without it through my PC and the difference in volume was staggering. Now I'm looking at the prices on desktop amps.

post #12 of 22

so the main difference doesn't come from amping. There's a  volume difference off course, but that's not why people are amping (unless  you couldn't reach a satisfying volume before). Maybe you could reach as good  results by eq-ing,  I  don't know  if the bass boost of fiio e5 would do better a job (and it depends of the equalizer you would use).

 

 

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexidecimal View Post

I did. There is a small boost but mostly volume without the bass boost switch on. Switching on the bass boost adds a noticeable thump. I prefer it on on most of the tracks I've listened to.

 

I also listened again without it through my PC and the difference in volume was staggering. Now I'm looking at the prices on desktop amps.


 

Lol, the surprising(sometimes) strength of PC audio will do that to ya. 

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 

I ended up testing Black Ops with my FiiO Amp and phones and man they were booming. It was a new sound experience to be sure, better then any PC headset I've ever used.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


 

You know, there are so many different sound signatures for each headphone line.. Like I mentioned above. I actually think getting a M50 would be a side grade and not necessarily an upgrade.. If you like Bass heavy music... Go for the Ultrasone HFi-580.. I have the DJ1s which is the same. They will put a smile on your face..The Bass is how you say... Kick ass. These will clearly out thump the other 2 mentioned..

 

The Dj1s cost about $15 cheaper for some reason. Read the HFi-580 appreciation thread if you want more impressions of em.. Get something different is what I say..

 

Plus everyone should have at least one Ultrasone.. Wait till you play games with your X-fi CMSS-3D using your Shure SRH440.. It truly doesn't get much better..
 

 



 

post #15 of 22

Oh yea.. gaming headphones are so overrated it is ridiculoid.. Now you know..I try n teach everyone in my clan to not fall for gaming cans.. I have $30 headphones that does positional sounds better than any gaming can. "gaming headphones" only means you don't know jack about acoustics there fore will be ripped off by sub par headphones. That is all it amounts to..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH440 First Impressions