Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PC gaming headphones/headset for 100-150$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC gaming headphones/headset for 100-150$

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 

 

Im looking for a new pair of gaming headphones after my old ones broke, i use them for bass heavy music aswell but gaming is top priotity ( i play MOBA games like dota, LoL etc and MMO's, not fps games )

I used the logitech g35's before beacuse i got them for 1/3 the price on sale.

 

Ive got no soundcard and im looking for something for about 100-150 dollars. ive heard some good stuff about the ath-m50s and the steelserias serbia v2.

 

im really new to computer audio so im hoping to get some help from you guys biggrin.gif

 


Edited by VidAlker - 8/24/11 at 8:20am
post #2 of 53
Thread Starter 

No help? frown.gif

post #3 of 53

Heya,

 

Get a Clip-on-microphone and any good headphone you can afford. You could easily get the XB500, equalize the highs/mids up a tad, and be floored by the bass. Add clip-on-mic. Or, move up to the Ultrasone HFI 580. All that is under your budget. Both would be excellent for your situation.

 

Or save up more and get this.

 

Very best,


Edited by MalVeauX - 8/24/11 at 4:56pm
post #4 of 53

If you invest in a Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card (cheap price and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month).

It has a decent headphone amplifier, which should improve the sound quality of any headphone you get.

It also has Dolby Headphone 5.1 for both games and movies.

 

For a headphone, a used or refurbished (eBay) Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, really nice bass.

Total should be under $150, maybe as low as $120.

 


Edited by Tacoboy - 8/24/11 at 9:51pm
post #5 of 53

Check the Mad lust envy guide for gamers, pretty useful. 

post #6 of 53
Thread Starter 

hmm, well the ultrasones dont even exist where i live it apears, cant seem to find them anywhere and i dont really like the idea of open headsets (pc 360), and the first ones seemd to be "too" cheap, they cant be as good as more expensive headphones can they?

 

The DT770 pro 80 seems to have good comfort and sound but people say it has too much bass for gaming, and that i wont be able to hear other sounds very clearly when there is bass. if thats not true i might go for the dt770's

post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidAlker View Post

hmm, well the ultrasones dont even exist where i live it apears, cant seem to find them anywhere and i dont really like the idea of open headsets (pc 360), and the first ones seemd to be "too" cheap, they cant be as good as more expensive headphones can they?

 

The DT770 pro 80 seems to have good comfort and sound but people say it has too much bass for gaming, and that i wont be able to hear other sounds very clearly when there is bass. if thats not true i might go for the dt770's


Heya,

 

People referring to "too much bass for gaming" are specifically referring to games that require positional cues, like FPS games, where direction is important, and a bassy explosion or rumble hides a foot step thump. This is less the case, to not at all, for games like you're talking about playing (general sound direction is important, but again, it more closely relates to foot steps in games, such as FPS games). I wouldn't worry about too much bass for your application.

 

Very best,

 

post #8 of 53
Thread Starter 

 

hmm, i guess its gonna be the dt770 pro or the pc 360 ( maybe the ath-50s? no one mentioned it ) i cant decide confused_face.gif

 

 

post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidAlker View Post

 

hmm, i guess its gonna be the dt770 pro or the pc 360 ( maybe the ath-50s? no one mentioned it ) i cant decide confused_face.gif

 

 

I retested my DT-770 80-Ohm cans yesterday, bass did not seem overpowering.

You could all ways save some money and get some decent  headphones, like the Superlux HD-668B.

There are cheap enough that it would be easy to sell them to a friend if you decided on getting more expensive cans.

Read all the reviews on the HD-668B on this web site.

I'm still pushing the Asus Xonar DG, that with the HD-668B is still well under your budget.
 

 

post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidAlker View Post

 

hmm, i guess its gonna be the dt770 pro or the pc 360 ( maybe the ath-50s? no one mentioned it ) i cant decide confused_face.gif

 

 


M50's have no sound stage to speak of and frankly aren't that comfortable (they clamp, they're more of a DJ styled headphone than a basic monitor). I wouldn't use them for gaming or primary music listening, other than portable (they're great portables though).

 

DT770 Pro will give you isolation, great bass, bright highs, and great comfort. But you have to get a clip on mic for games.

PC360 Pro will give you more sound stage (open-air), less isolation, less bass, more mids, good comfort, built in mic.

 

Figure out your compromise and that's your headphone.

 

Very best,

post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post




M50's have no sound stage to speak of and frankly aren't that comfortable (they clamp, they're more of a DJ styled headphone than a basic monitor). I wouldn't use them for gaming or primary music listening, other than portable (they're great portables though).

 

DT770 Pro will give you isolation, great bass, bright highs, and great comfort. But you have to get a clip on mic for games.

PC360 Pro will give you more sound stage (open-air), less isolation, less bass, more mids, good comfort, built in mic.

 

Figure out your compromise and that's your headphone.

 

Very best,

VidAlker, you should be able to order a Zalmen mic for around $12.
 

 

post #12 of 53

In regards to a mic for use with quality headphones, I've seen the Zalman clip on, but I'd prefer a boom mic. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality boom mic that could easily attach to a pair of phones?

post #13 of 53
Thread Starter 

ok, this is the last question before i buy the dt770. I've noticed there's an 32 ohm verson and 80+ versions, if in not gonna buy an amp, should i get the 32 ohm or the 80 ohm?

post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidAlker View Post

ok, this is the last question before i buy the dt770. I've noticed there's an 32 ohm verson and 80+ versions, if in not gonna buy an amp, should i get the 32 ohm or the 80 ohm?


Heya,

 

Without an amp, you would want lower impedance headphones. But there's more to it than that. There's dampening, sensitivity, etc. That said, don't fret, just get the 32ohm version if you're not going to get an amp. Also, the 32ohm is likely the premium version and the 80ohm (specifically) is the Pro. The Pro series clamp more and the DT770 Pro 80ohm has more bass. But the 32ohm premium DT770 is more refined in general and the better headphone. So, there ya go. Get the 32ohm DT770.

 

But I will say, get a good soundcard or external dac/amp soon. Powering these from an onboard port could be fine, or could be problematic.

 

Very best,

 

post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidAlker View Post

ok, this is the last question before i buy the dt770. I've noticed there's an 32 ohm verson and 80+ versions, if in not gonna buy an amp, should i get the 32 ohm or the 80 ohm?

I'm going to guess the 80-Ohm will work with just about any source.

My 80-Ohm works just fine with my Asus Xonar DX.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PC gaming headphones/headset for 100-150$