This is a great thread, solved great part of my doubts about the IERM being compared to other customs.
- brand1964 Earstagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- brandJH Audiotagged by System, 9/6/11
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 9/6/11
- productUE 18 Protagged by System, 9/6/11
- brandWestonetagged by System, 9/6/11
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 9/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Westone ES5 vs JH Audio JH16 Last post on 3/30/11 at 1:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Seoul, Korea: Ear impressions / molds Last post on 4/4/13 at 5:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone ES5 on the way, UE CAPITOL reference monitors too? Last post on 2/28/11 at 11:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH16 Pro vs UE18 Pro Last post on 3/2/11 at 2:53pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's for hip hop and rap? Unlimited budget... Last post on 8/12/10 at 6:35am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 3/10/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Build and Usage: Good looking, very nice feeling player, it looks like a really sold build and it's all metal construction. Not much to say about it, you can check pictures. I wasn't satisfied...
Let me preface this review by explaining the issue I was dealing with. I have always experienced digital noise from, I'm assuming, my poorly grounded laptop. It didn't matter if I used the...
Build quality and comfort: Headband pad is a little too firm, may need break in. Initially putting them on, the headband is feeling is evidently there but with time it slowly disappears....
Introduction I initially caught wind of Flare Audio and their offerings through a friend's Facebook post. Cutting a long story short I clicked the link and with each detail I read became more...
Love this pair of headphones. Huge sound stage. Great for classical music. The bass is not shabby and is good enough to enjoy Coldplays Viva la Vida. Of course comprable amplifiers are necessry...
Multi Custom Flagship IEM Review 23/8/11 UERM Added - Page 7
Poll Results: Which Custom IEM should I review next? I'll purchase them in the order of popularity :)This is a multiple choice poll
232 Total Votespost #91 of 1149/8/11 at 6:50pm
15% of voters (36)Ultimate Ears Referene Monitor
13% of voters (32)1964 Ears Quads
29% of voters (68)UM Mircale
15% of voters (35)UM Merlin
3% of voters (7)UE 11Pro
6% of voters (16)Westone ES3X
19% of voters (45)JH16Pro + JH3A
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 1149/14/11 at 1:07pmThread Starter
Just a quick update and some apologies!
Sorry for the lack of activity lately, been really busy with school.
On a side note my "Long" review for the UERM is now up, tho there really isn't much to say about this IEM since it isnt as flexible as other customs.
Another thing is my UM Miracles and Merlins should be arriving within the next two weeks so please look forward to them!
post #93 of 1149/14/11 at 1:42pm
Cool reviews, nice :)
Which source and media player / DAP whatever are you using with your UERM's? When you say most detailed, what do you mean more precisely?
p.s. take a photo of your UERM. :)post #94 of 1149/14/11 at 8:49pmThread Starter
For all my reviews I play my music through an iPod Classic 160Gb.
I will be buying a Hifiman 801 or 603 in the near future. I may or may not borrow my friends Colorfly C4 for tests too.
In terms of phones and such I currently have in my possession the Samsung Galaxy S2 and a iPhone 3Gs.
I'll upload pictures of the IEMs when I get a camera with a good macro mode, Probably the Canon G12.
Quote:post #95 of 1149/14/11 at 9:12pm
If you have the iPod Classic you should buy the Fostex HP P1 it seems like that's the best Amp/DAC for the iPod and also works really well with custom IEM's I read.post #96 of 1149/14/11 at 10:16pmpost #97 of 1149/15/11 at 3:02ampost #98 of 1149/15/11 at 3:25amQuote:
Do you use it at home or on the go? Is it even bulkier than in the videos and pictures? Thanks.
Sorry for digressing but, how old the ears do not grow or hardly grow anymore. Or what age do you recommend me to be before i can do customs, ignoring the price factor and re-shelling possibility. Oh and when you say air bubbles in the customs, you're talking the air bubbles that got in the acrylic whilst making the earpieces right? Sorry if this sounds really amateur-ish.post #99 of 1149/15/11 at 3:36ampost #100 of 1149/23/11 at 9:47ampost #101 of 11410/8/11 at 6:40pmFor listening Radiohead, which one do you think is better between ES5 and UERM, I wan't to really connected with Tom's music and voices.
If you ever heard a song called Hearing Damage from OST of Twilight maybe you could understand what I mean, that's typical of song that has very deep bass and somehow the synthesizer low bass sounds can give some short like electricity shocked to my heart beat , plus I wan't THX experiences on the soundstage, sorry for my bad Englishpost #102 of 11410/8/11 at 7:45pm
You can never get THX soundstaging on in-ear monitors. Even the mightiest full size headphones cant pull this off (well mostly) If you want THX, go buy some speakers cuz headphonesin general cannot do soundstages as articulate and lively as speakers.
Now back to the topic, based on your wants, Id say the ES5 is good to really feel the music cuz its got sweet mids dats really intimate for vocals, and its got pretty good bass performance (large bass driver). The UERM however is a chameleon, you can play anything with the UERM. Its designed as a monitoring tool so the sound you get is spot on accurate. Plus its probably the closest thing to a THX like soundstage for a headphone and the bass extension is very deep. However, it might sound cold and very analytical to some due to its accurate nature.
So its your pick, do you want the sweet and intimate musicality of the ES5 or do you want a dead accurate sound with one of the best soundstaging in the world of headphones? The ES5 is still very accurate and it has good soundstage performance btw while the UERM is just less intimate sounding and very neutral. You cant really go wrong wit eitherpost #103 of 11410/9/11 at 7:12pm
Just use some external XFi DSP for the Surround sound effect. You absolutely can get positional audio in IEMs but not from the IEM itself. Btw, THX has little or nothing to do w/ surround sound.
The ES5 is more viceral and emotive, it has that live 'presence.' It's more about the performance expeince.
UERM is more analytical but highly enjoyable. It's more about focusing on the recording.post #104 of 11411/13/11 at 2:05pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Multi Custom Flagship IEM Review 23/8/11 UERM Added
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 10 seconds ago
- › Cleanest treble in an IEM (non CIEM)? 11 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 48 seconds ago
- › Why tubes but no equalization? 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Beresford Capella Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Unmodded teradak v3.1d vs modded dac-ah 2 minutes ago
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 3 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 4 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK100 Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) Portable... by Tail
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by tyco
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kite7
- › Flare Audio R2Pro Earphones by dnun8086
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2