This is a great thread, solved great part of my doubts about the IERM being compared to other customs.
- brand66 Audiotagged by System, 9/6/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/6/11
- brandJH Audiotagged by System, 9/6/11
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 9/6/11
- productUE 18 Protagged by System, 9/6/11
- brandWestonetagged by System, 9/6/11
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 9/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Westone ES5 vs JH Audio JH16 Last post on 3/30/11 at 1:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Seoul, Korea: Ear impressions / molds Last post on 4/4/13 at 5:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone ES5 on the way, UE CAPITOL reference monitors too? Last post on 2/28/11 at 11:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH16 Pro vs UE18 Pro Last post on 3/2/11 at 2:53pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's for hip hop and rap? Unlimited budget... Last post on 8/12/10 at 6:35am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Multi Custom Flagship IEM Review 23/8/11 UERM Added - Page 7
Poll Results: Which Custom IEM should I review next? I'll purchase them in the order of popularity :)This is a multiple choice poll
236 Total Votespost #91 of 1149/8/11 at 6:50pm
16% of voters (38)Ultimate Ears Referene Monitor
13% of voters (32)1964 Ears Quads
29% of voters (69)UM Mircale
14% of voters (35)UM Merlin
2% of voters (7)UE 11Pro
6% of voters (16)Westone ES3X
19% of voters (46)JH16Pro + JH3A
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 1149/14/11 at 1:07pmThread Starter
Just a quick update and some apologies!
Sorry for the lack of activity lately, been really busy with school.
On a side note my "Long" review for the UERM is now up, tho there really isn't much to say about this IEM since it isnt as flexible as other customs.
Another thing is my UM Miracles and Merlins should be arriving within the next two weeks so please look forward to them!
post #93 of 1149/14/11 at 1:42pm
Cool reviews, nice :)
Which source and media player / DAP whatever are you using with your UERM's? When you say most detailed, what do you mean more precisely?
p.s. take a photo of your UERM. :)post #94 of 1149/14/11 at 8:49pmThread Starter
For all my reviews I play my music through an iPod Classic 160Gb.
I will be buying a Hifiman 801 or 603 in the near future. I may or may not borrow my friends Colorfly C4 for tests too.
In terms of phones and such I currently have in my possession the Samsung Galaxy S2 and a iPhone 3Gs.
I'll upload pictures of the IEMs when I get a camera with a good macro mode, Probably the Canon G12.
Quote:post #95 of 1149/14/11 at 9:12pm
If you have the iPod Classic you should buy the Fostex HP P1 it seems like that's the best Amp/DAC for the iPod and also works really well with custom IEM's I read.post #96 of 1149/14/11 at 10:16pmpost #97 of 1149/15/11 at 3:02ampost #98 of 1149/15/11 at 3:25amQuote:
Do you use it at home or on the go? Is it even bulkier than in the videos and pictures? Thanks.
Sorry for digressing but, how old the ears do not grow or hardly grow anymore. Or what age do you recommend me to be before i can do customs, ignoring the price factor and re-shelling possibility. Oh and when you say air bubbles in the customs, you're talking the air bubbles that got in the acrylic whilst making the earpieces right? Sorry if this sounds really amateur-ish.post #99 of 1149/15/11 at 3:36ampost #100 of 1149/23/11 at 9:47ampost #101 of 11410/8/11 at 6:40pmFor listening Radiohead, which one do you think is better between ES5 and UERM, I wan't to really connected with Tom's music and voices.
If you ever heard a song called Hearing Damage from OST of Twilight maybe you could understand what I mean, that's typical of song that has very deep bass and somehow the synthesizer low bass sounds can give some short like electricity shocked to my heart beat , plus I wan't THX experiences on the soundstage, sorry for my bad Englishpost #102 of 11410/8/11 at 7:45pm
You can never get THX soundstaging on in-ear monitors. Even the mightiest full size headphones cant pull this off (well mostly) If you want THX, go buy some speakers cuz headphonesin general cannot do soundstages as articulate and lively as speakers.
Now back to the topic, based on your wants, Id say the ES5 is good to really feel the music cuz its got sweet mids dats really intimate for vocals, and its got pretty good bass performance (large bass driver). The UERM however is a chameleon, you can play anything with the UERM. Its designed as a monitoring tool so the sound you get is spot on accurate. Plus its probably the closest thing to a THX like soundstage for a headphone and the bass extension is very deep. However, it might sound cold and very analytical to some due to its accurate nature.
So its your pick, do you want the sweet and intimate musicality of the ES5 or do you want a dead accurate sound with one of the best soundstaging in the world of headphones? The ES5 is still very accurate and it has good soundstage performance btw while the UERM is just less intimate sounding and very neutral. You cant really go wrong wit eitherpost #103 of 11410/9/11 at 7:12pm
Just use some external XFi DSP for the Surround sound effect. You absolutely can get positional audio in IEMs but not from the IEM itself. Btw, THX has little or nothing to do w/ surround sound.
The ES5 is more viceral and emotive, it has that live 'presence.' It's more about the performance expeince.
UERM is more analytical but highly enjoyable. It's more about focusing on the recording.post #104 of 11411/13/11 at 2:05pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Multi Custom Flagship IEM Review 23/8/11 UERM Added
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 52 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 57 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread) 3 minutes ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 5 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 8 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 8 minutes ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 10 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 14 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear