does it have a difference
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/22/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/31/11
- productSony MDR-ZX-700tagged by System, 8/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Closed Headphones, Budget 80 € (100 $) Last post on 2/15/12 at 5:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Novice needs some help selecting quality portables for his daily life. Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Rock listeners, Metal Fans .... Please help this newbie here Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 558 Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- still very picky, need help narrowing down, in the UK Last post on 12/8/11 at 11:07am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I said DON'T TALK !!
i never usually write reviews, but when i do, its usually with underrated earphones/headphones, because i think they do deserve some justice. just a background, i own headphones like brainwavz,...
Rather than go into the esoteric aspects of the sound signature (not really sure if all the nomenclature actually means the same thing to everyone) I'm going to approach this review from a little...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
sony zx700 vs sony zx500post #1 of 288/20/11 at 3:27pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 288/20/11 at 3:31pm
Yeap. ZX700 is 24ohm, and sensitive. The ZX500 is 70ohms (for some reason). Straight from Sony's website. ZX500 needs an amp. Also read that the 700's pads are higher quality than the 500's. I don't have them so I cannot say with authority.
Very best,post #3 of 288/20/11 at 3:48pmThread Starterpost #4 of 288/20/11 at 3:57pmpost #5 of 288/21/11 at 5:21amQuote:
I don't have a pair, but they're often compared to the M50. I imagine they EQ just fine. The thing about a relatively neutral headphone is that minor EQing can change it quite a bit. For example, I find the M50's benefit from a minor EQ bump in mids/highs to bring out details in the mids/highs that I want to hear, so that the bass and lower mids don't over power the sound. I imagine a similar headphone, like the ZX700 would also benefit from minor EQ changes depending on the kind of sound you're looking for. A few dB change can make rather striking differences to the overall sound. And a neutral headphone tends to have room to EQ a bit in any direction. Nice to be able to be neutral or colored on a whim.
Very best,post #6 of 288/21/11 at 5:30am
The ZX500 sound pretty good, fine for someone that's not picky, but I'd go for the ZX700 considering it's low low price in the states, if that's where you are.post #7 of 288/21/11 at 5:41am
That ZX500 is specced 70 ohm doesn't necessarily have to make them harder to drive, at least when you look at XB series, the 40 ohm XB500 is actually noticably easier driven than 24 ohm XB700. There's very little info on zx500 so it's difficult to say.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 8/21/11 at 5:43ampost #8 of 288/21/11 at 5:47ampost #9 of 288/21/11 at 5:52amQuote:
With those headphones, it's not the impedance. There's a lot more to it in general. Not projecting that towards you, just in general. It's always funny how a low impedance headphone that is sensitive requires different amplification, or none, than another headphone with near identical impedance and sensitivity. It's almost like it's a pointless spec....
Very best,post #10 of 288/22/11 at 11:36am
I think this review might help you:
Plus, you can also check the pro version of the zx700, it is the mdr-7510 which comes with a longer cable, but its coiled, and it also comes with a carrying pouch.post #11 of 288/23/11 at 6:32ampost #12 of 288/23/11 at 6:47ampost #13 of 281/2/12 at 10:21am
Can I use ZX700 with my portable MP3 player or my iPhone ? Can they still deliver high quality sound if I use them without any amp ? I generally use 320 kbps bitrate songs. Please advise. I'm definitely in need of a nice pair of headphones. Thanks, RYKpost #14 of 281/2/12 at 10:49amThread Starter
Yes you can!
After storming this forum which headphones should I buy, I ended up buying the ZX700. Never been disappointed from these kick-ass cans (I have them since 6 months).
To be honest, these are the most high-class headphones I have ever owned but they simply outclass (in my opinion) all the headphones I have ever ''tasted''.
I have used them with my mp3 player on some occasions and YES they give me the same HQ sound as if used on computer without the need of amplifier. My mp3 player is Samsung YP-T10 (but I highly doubt on other mp3 players a difference will occur) (I myself use 320kbps songs most often too)
However, just to mention, you must take in consideration that this headphones will exhaust ~2,3 * times faster the battery of you player compared to "small headphones"post #15 of 281/3/12 at 5:17am
Thanks for the reply... I've been using Zagg earbuds for a while... they are pretty good.. good bass, good mids and highs.... but I want to buy a nice pair of over-ear phones. How's its sound quality, lows, mid and highs ? I generally listen to Rock songs, David Guetta and some other dance music. Can I go for them ? I'm in India and they are worth Rs. 6000 (USD 112 something) here... I dont have any HiFi system. All I use is my iPhone and laptop to listen to music. I'm more concerned about listining music on my iPhone because I travel a lot.
Sony stores here wont let test them on my iPhone. So, I cant test their quality. All I'm replying is on the feedbacks and reviews of its users. Apart from this, can you suggest some more that I can go for and those who deliver good sound quality if I use then on my iPhone.
- sony zx700 vs sony zx500
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread (Preliminary Impressions) 1 minute ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Nvidia handheld android gaming device... will this crash and... 1 minute ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 2 minutes ago
- › Free Update for PM-1 owners, - Treble boost 2 minutes ago
- › Mini-M8 or the Sony PHA-2 2 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 4 minutes ago
- › Westone Elite Series ES60 by Lorias
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by emanlee
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)