Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Buying Headphones Today. Please advise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying Headphones Today. Please advise.

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

Hey guys i posted this in the ask advice thread but it just got skipped with no replies. Since i am buying like today i would really like a bunch of input because from reading i know there is so many people with good reccommndations on this forum.

 

 

 have spent the last 5 days like 3 hours a day reading up on all different headphones. I am buying for my girlfriend which makes it a lot more difficult.

 

They are just for her listening, walking to class, sitting in the library at home etc. She has an Itouch. Her main genre is house/electro/dubstep but then she also listens to some slow songs like bon iver and mumford and sons acoustic type stuff. So they really need to be alround good headphones that she can bass out to with some bassnectar but also relax with some clear mumford. I know this is idealism but basically just saying they need to be not pure bass or visa versa. And yeah smallish and portable (no amp preferably.) Just normal girly use haha.

 

I want to spend between 100-250 dollars on them. They need to be closed obviously so she doesn't blast the library away or get dirty looks. She and I both have had numerous comments about Beats Solo and how they are just a gimmick and she understands that there is better phones out there. But in saying that, she will want some that look good on her pretty head. And that is understandable. I was thinking the m50's for their price and reputation but they are definitely too big and bulky i also think (haven't seen them in the flesh).

 

Then i was thinking the sennheiser 598s but they are open? so wouldn't work either.

 

I am also still considering just getting her the beats solo if i can't come up with any other options. Perhaps the sennheiser hd25 II? Any opinions on these? I wonder if they would look somewhat "stylish" on her.

 

Other ideas i have had are the ultrasone 580 60 or 780s cos they look sweet with the metal. Or some shures.

 

 

Any help is seriously so frigging appreciated. This is doing my head in and she is starting to be pissed at me spending time on the computer doing secret stuff. I'm at the point where im about to buy the beats solo just to be done with it. But i really don't want her wearing a pair of them because she is such a music appreciator and i want her to go wow these headphones sound like ecstasy. Not yeah cool i got some beats like every other girl in my class.

 

Thanks so much, 

post #2 of 31

My vote goes to Ultrasone 580/DJ1..

For her music preferences it's a must buy..

Beats Solo??

Hell no...

post #3 of 31

The B&W P5 looks cool and they sound good but not to true audiophile level(still crisp, detailed with good bass response). The other headphones are like Klipsch Image ONE(sound crisp, warm, little bass heavy and work great for almost all genres music). Phiaton MS400, V-Moda V80 on ear are very good sounding, Bose on ear, JVC on ear with NC, Beyerdynamic T50p and DT1350 both sound amazing.


Edited by ZARIM - 8/20/11 at 8:50am
post #4 of 31
Thread Starter 

Thanks so much dude. It is a nice looking set whch is great. Would you go the 680 or 780? There doesn't seem to be a big difference in price from what i can see. Any other suggestions much appreciated. Glad to be stearing clear the beats.

post #5 of 31

HD598s are about the farthest you can get from portable

 

For portable, look for lay flat or swivel cups to wear around neck.

 

M50's are good for this and are just as bulky as everything else.

 

Grado (open) are my pick, but then not the best. Music taste would fit here.

 

 

I'd say look at the Phiaton Ms line up. I was looking at these a while back and passed. The audio quality is up there with the price but not special, the looks and feel of them are great and they fold flat and look good. The MS300 is one ear, MS400 is over MS320 on on ear a little cheaper and not too sure about the Ms500

post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

HD598s are about the farthest you can get from portable

 

For portable, look for lay flat or swivel cups to wear around neck.

 

M50's are good for this and are just as bulky as everything else.

 

Grado (open) are my pick, but then not the best. Music taste would fit here.

 

 

I'd say look at the Phiaton Ms line up. I was looking at these a while back and passed. The audio quality is up there with the price but not special, the looks and feel of them are great and they fold flat and look good. The MS300 is one ear, MS400 is over MS320 on on ear a little cheaper and not too sure about the Ms500


HD598 doesn't do electronic music well,acoustic music maybe but no electronic..

Also M50's are not as good as Ultrasones for electronic music..

Good all arounder but electronic doesn't shine through them..

The OP mentioned that his girlfriend listens to electro/house/dubstep..

post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 

At this point am thinking the ultrasone 580 or dj1 (same phone different style?). The 680 and 780 are only like 30 bucks extra should i get the 780 instead/.

 

Have also heads some complaints about comfort has anyone got any opinion on this?

 

Thanks guys. also considering the phiaton ms400, does the ultrasone outperform?

 

u guys are lifesavers

post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Praim View Post




HD598 doesn't do electronic music well,acoustic music maybe but no electronic..

Also M50's are not as good as Ultrasones for electronic music..

Good all arounder but electronic doesn't shine through them..

The OP mentioned that his girlfriend listens to electro/house/dubstep..


Hey, OP listed all those can and I just decided to pick at them.

 

And electronic music comes best through Grados. No way around that. And Phaiton is good for more rock, and will handle electronic well.

 

I just chose something that I knew a woman would like

post #9 of 31
Thread Starter 

Still looking for input guys. About to order the 580s or dj1s or dj1 pros. Just seeing if i should actually go up to the 780s? And checking on the comfort.

 

Cheers

 

Tom

post #10 of 31
Thread Starter 

Or obviously any other headphones if people are still wanting to suggest.

post #11 of 31

Not DJ1 Pro's Tom.

They have huge cups..

Your girlfriend will hate you...biggrin.gif

post #12 of 31

I'll warn you right now the DJ1/580s look completely retarded once you put them on your head. The headband is about an inch away from your head on the sides and they look pretty dorky. Don't know about the Pros, but the headband design seems to be the same across the two lines.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotByte View Post


And electronic music comes best through Grados. No way around that. And Phaiton is good for more rock, and will handle electronic well.

 


 From experience Grados are way too bright for electronic, they become uncomfortable quickly and lack the lower end.

 

EDIT: and if you're willing to search a bit, I'm sure the Aiaiai TMA-1 would fit the bill.


Edited by Domz0r - 8/20/11 at 9:48am
post #13 of 31
Thread Starter 

what about the 780s?

 

post #14 of 31
Thread Starter 

dorky worries me

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domz0r View Post

I'll warn you right now the DJ1/580s look completely retarded once you put them on your head. The headband is about an inch away from your head on the sides and they look pretty dorky. Don't know about the Pros, but the headband design seems to be the same across the two lines.

 

 



Oh come on..

Not retarded man,special in a unique way i would say..

I wear them every day on public and i don't feel retarded nor stupid..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Buying Headphones Today. Please advise.