Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo? - Page 7

post #91 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleli View Post

Not yet... I have been focusing on the gear of the portable chain. Once settled I will perform tests on different portable DACs / amps combos for my LCD2, T5P, ED10 and custom IEMs.

 

Just got back from vacation and bought the iBasso DB2. My interconnects for the SR71B and the balanced cable for LCD2 should have arrived at my office.

 

I believe the Esoteric K-01 -> BHSE -> SR009 combo is close to being the ultimate desktop headphone system. I have yet to order BHSE though, need them to resolve the time issue first - so far, just using the SRM727ii, the SR009 still beats the LCD2 hands down by miles.

 

I also suspect my true balanced portable combo is close to the best portable headphone system, with the chain being:

 

iPhone4 / iPad2 -> ALO iPhone USB interconnect -> CLAS -> Black Dragon short coaxial cable -> iBasso DB2 -> Black Dragon iBasso to SR71B balanced interconnect -> SR71B -> ALO AWG22 LCD2 Balanced Cable for SR71B -> LCD2

 

Will test this out tomorrow - stay tuned.


 

2 very exciting set-up indeed googleli !

 

Some questions for you:

 

- It looks like you finally removed the iBasso DB2 from the chain "iPhone4 / iPad2 -> CLAS -> iBasso DB2 -> SR71B -> ALO AWG22 LCD2 Balanced Cable for SR71B -> LCD2" ?   --> Does it mean that the advantage of the Ballanced imput for the SR71B (the iBasso) was not noticable and that CLAS + SR71 is good enough ?  

 

- HAve you tested the ALO rx MK3 amp against the SR71B ? it also provide ballanced output and add a "bass control"  and... it looks like it has beed designed to stack perfectly with the CLAS.  ?

 

- I am myself quite tempted by the BHSE, but you make me nervous: What do you mean by " I have yet to order BHSE though, need them to resolve the time issue first".

 

- I was considering the SR007 instead of the SR009.  Is SR009 really better ? I read that some people find it too analytical compared to the "warmer" SR007 ? 

 

- For portable gear, I was considering the LCD-02 rather than the LCD-03.  Not for a cost issue, but from the impressions I got between the LCD-2 and LCD-3. Sometime progress is going backward.   What do you think ? 

 

- Does the Ballanced output-cable makes a real difference for the LCD-2 compared to simple output ?  Does it change the soundstage ? 

 

 

thanks in advance and sorry for all those questions...

 

 

Bertrand


Edited by bmichels - 9/12/12 at 8:04am
post #92 of 107
Thread Starter 

I have both, and the CLAS does sound more analytical in comparison with Filter 2 of the HP-P1, when using the HP-P1 solely as a DAC.

post #93 of 107
Thread Starter 

- I prefer my SR71A to my SR71B. iPhone 4S -> CLAS -> DB2 -> SR71B is just too much of a hassle. Fully balanced setup does not improve the sound a lot - it may be the cables, but the sound of this setup sounds quite bright to me, even with the LCD2 Rev 1.  Hear for yourself to know what you really like.

 

- I haven't tested the RX3.

 

- I have just received my BHSE yesterday - judging from the time of my previous post, you will notice there is a considerable time gap from ordering to actually getting it.

 

- SR-007 is warmer but less resolving. A bit like LCD2 vs LCD3 but at a much higher level. I like my SR009 more, but I wish I can spend more time with the SR007 which I don't own. 

 

- LCD3 is definitely technically better across the frequency range, and also on transient response, treble extension and bass depth. But portable gear can't do it justice. You will need better gear to show its true capabilities against the LCD2. 

 

- Balanced does not change the soundstage much, nor does it necessarily improve the sound quality. If anything I feel that the vocal imaging of single ended is better than balanced.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

2 very exciting set-up indeed googleli !

 

Some questions for you:

 

- It looks like you finally removed the iBasso DB2 from the chain "iPhone4 / iPad2 -> CLAS -> iBasso DB2 -> SR71B -> ALO AWG22 LCD2 Balanced Cable for SR71B -> LCD2" ?   --> Does it mean that the advantage of the Ballanced imput for the SR71B (the iBasso) was not noticable and that CLAS + SR71 is good enough ?  

 

- HAve you tested the ALO rx MK3 amp against the SR71B ? it also provide ballanced output and add a "bass control"  and... it looks like it has beed designed to stack perfectly with the CLAS.  ?

 

- I am myself quite tempted by the BHSE, but you make me nervous: What do you mean by " I have yet to order BHSE though, need them to resolve the time issue first".

 

- I was considering the SR007 instead of the SR009.  Is SR009 really better ? I read that some people find it too analytical compared to the "warmer" SR007 ? 

 

- For portable gear, I was considering the LCD-02 rather than the LCD-03.  Not for a cost issue, but from the impressions I got between the LCD-2 and LCD-3. Sometime progress is going backward.   What do you think ? 

 

- Does the Ballanced output-cable makes a real difference for the LCD-2 compared to simple output ?  Does it change the soundstage ? 

 

 

thanks in advance and sorry for all those questions...

 

 

Bertrand


Edited by googleli - 9/12/12 at 8:25am
post #94 of 107

 the SOLO is "sold out" !!

 

Damned ... I heard from ALO that the SOLO is "sold out" !!  ... and that SOLO is working on a new product !    Any news about this ? 

post #95 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

 the SOLO is "sold out" !!

 

Damned ... I heard from a reliable US distributor that the SOLO is "sold out" !!  ... and that SOLO is working on a new product !    Any news about this ? 

post #96 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Is your office insured against the loss of that rig ? Most of us would be mortified at the thought of losing a good DAP and a nice pair of IEMs, but you have several thousand dollars worth of kit (presumably) sitting on a desk in a building you dont even see outside work hours. Just sayin.

I have a $5k rig sitting at work.  I lock up my LCD-3s and my Schiit gear is about 30 lbs, so it'd be difficult to sneak off with, but not impossible.

 

I called State Farm, whom I have auto and homeowner's with, and had a lady research the headphones, amp, DAC, and cabling.  The info I got back was pretty non-committal, because the underwriter didn't understand that basically this was a stereo system and wasn't used for work.  In the end, if it's not data processing, sound receiving (CB/ham radio), or studio gear for recording, it's covered as personal property, just the same way the items in your bag would be covered at work due to loss through theft, fire, etc.

 

So, I didn't get the answer I was looking for, but I think there's a good case to prove that this is basically personal property, not used for business, and isn't sound recording/transmitting equipment.

 

Your insurer may give you more or less information than mine did, and your tolerance may be higher or lower, but I have had very good results with State Farm, for instance, so I'm chancing it and bringing my LCD-3s home occasionally to hedge my bet, esp. since they have a nice Pelican carrying case.

post #97 of 107

Why would cb/ham radio not be covered.  By definition ham radio can not be used for buis purposes.....   I would hope my home owner policy covers headphone and stereo, otherwise I wouldn't even need it.

 

oh we'll just ordered the Solo -r, should be here tomorrow to complement my new amp and get rid of my awesome HP-P1, if only because the new amp trumps the built in.  They do both have their benefits, the Fostex is easier to deal with, I, listening now to it, but I love my new portable amp so making the switch.

post #98 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

Why would cb/ham radio not be covered.  By definition ham radio can not be used for buis purposes.....   I would hope my home owner policy covers headphone and stereo, otherwise I wouldn't even need it.

(...)

 

I don't know why they don't cover CB/ham radios;  I'm guessing because theft of these types of items are high.

 

When I asked for alternatives (for my headphone/amp/DAC setup), they couldn't even provide me alternatives, so I'm guessing where to get coverage for sound receiving and recording gear is probably just as muddy.


Edited by sinkr - 3/25/13 at 6:48am
post #99 of 107

I am an extra class for years, used to do cw, it is kinda like music to my ears too.

 

Well, I felt foolish after having the Fostex for ten months and getting a new portable amp, not to get a smaller dac that was supposed to sound better.  Crazy to carry two amps, one built in and one external.  So got a Solo and maybe let the Fostex go.  I am a/b now and I am not sure.  People were saying the Solo sounds much better but I don't know if i agree.  I have to give  it some time but on first listen Fostex sounds more natural, open and good soundstage where the Solo sounds warmer and not as detailed.  Maybe just not as bright, not sure.  Could just have to get used to if, it is a brief first listen, just one song back and forth.

post #100 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

I am an extra class for years, used to do cw, it is kinda like music to my ears too.

 

Well, I felt foolish after having the Fostex for ten months and getting a new portable amp, not to get a smaller dac that was supposed to sound better.  Crazy to carry two amps, one built in and one external.  So got a Solo and maybe let the Fostex go.  I am a/b now and I am not sure.  People were saying the Solo sounds much better but I don't know if i agree.  I have to give  it some time but on first listen Fostex sounds more natural, open and good soundstage where the Solo sounds warmer and not as detailed.  Maybe just not as bright, not sure.  Could just have to get used to if, it is a brief first listen, just one song back and forth.

 

I had a Fostex HP-P1 for several weeks before I got the CLAS, so don't feel so foolish.

 

Due to how rapidly the HP-P1 sold, I wasn't able to do A/B testing, but I will concur with you that the Fostex has a very nice sound to it.  I can only speculate if the CLAS is as good/fluid/soft/<insert whatever here>, but it's close enough, plus I bought the HP-P1 used and it was 'broken in', whereas the CLAS is still not broken in.

 

In the end, going w/ the CLAS was more of a matter of aesthetics, in terms of how it matched up with the ALO MK3B and how the wires ran, plus the fact that they both can use the same 9V charger and the CLAS charges the iDevice, which really are nice conveniences.

 

I realize there's an irony in someone who's willing to more than quadruple the heft of their iDevice with an external AMP, DAC, and wiring, but it still was a factor.

post #101 of 107

I think you've convinced me together a Fostex HP-P1 (to go with my Beyerdynamic DT1350's) and then save for anotherAmp (maybe a Just Audio AHA-120).

thanks to all the informative posts. 

Ta

Richard

post #102 of 107

Well, finally after listening to extended time to both, i have to say..........they are both good.  The HP-P1 is more aggressive(maybe just a tad grainy in comparison) with more pronounced instrument separation, the CLAS is softer, warmer and more laid back sound.  Both are detailed only present it differently.  On one hand, in public maybe it is good to have a more aggressive dac to pronounce the sound and the illusion of the music being right there, on the other hand, over long listening fatigue may be an issue with the HP-P1 thus point to the CLAS.  I don't know which i like better.....  confusing i know.  The CLAS fits better with the external amp which elevates the sound over the Fostex, which is slightly bulkier with an external amp attached, but i have to say, i like the aggressiveness and sound of pianos and separation the Fostex gives.  Clas has better battery life though.  Should i sell one....?  If i had to.....hmmm.....maybe, just maybe the CLAS but it would be an arm twist to really say.   

 

Edit- i believe that the Fostex has less of a hump in the upper and mid bass and slightly stronger treble.  


Edited by dallan - 6/8/13 at 9:40pm
post #103 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

Well, finally after listening to extended time to both, i have to say..........they are both good.  The HP-P1 is more aggressive(maybe just a tad grainy in comparison) with more pronounced instrument separation, the CLAS is softer, warmer and more laid back sound.  Both are detailed only present it differently.  On one hand, in public maybe it is good to have a more aggressive dac to pronounce the sound and the illusion of the music being right there, on the other hand, over long listening fatigue may be an issue with the HP-P1 thus point to the CLAS.  I don't know which i like better.....  confusing i know.  The CLAS fits better with the external amp which elevates the sound over the Fostex, which is slightly bulkier with an external amp attached, but i have to say, i like the aggressiveness and sound of pianos and separation the Fostex gives.  Clas has better battery life though.  Should i sell one....?  If i had to.....hmmm.....maybe, just maybe the CLAS but it would be an arm twist to really say.   

Edit- i believe that the Fostex has less of a hump in the upper and mid bass and slightly stronger treble.  
l

Hi Dave
My suggestion please don't sell these two Dac and Dac / amp
You will miss the sound
Class solo old version is good for rock music
Fostex Hp P 1 is very good for jazz and classical music with wider soundstage and very good separation .
post #104 of 107

the original CLAS is exceptional.

 

my personal setup is:

 

ALO Audio RX MK2 / Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo / ALO SXC SOLO Cable Combo / ipod Touch 3g

 

using with Westoner W4r with BTG_Audio Upgrade Cable.

 

the CLAS  is exceptional. i cannot find a single thing i hate about this setup. the sound quality is Audiophile grade Period.

post #105 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


l

Hi Dave
My suggestion please don't sell these two Dac and Dac / amp
You will miss the sound
Class solo old version is good for rock music
Fostex Hp P 1 is very good for jazz and classical music with wider soundstage and very good separation .

Thanks Rudi, and again thanks for all of your input.  For a while i got behind the times and just settled in with my HM801 and buried my head in the sand.  Gotta say though i have a strong craving for the AK120 now.  

 

As far as selling, i almost never sell anything i have aquired.  I research and then keep.  I may have sold two headphone accessories since my start.  I may let go of my pico amp only regular edition since i use the Pico Power mostly now too, but I have a lot of stuff over here........not as much as some people of course(no names.....aahh rudi.....rolleyes.gif).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?