Most of my listening lately has been through my Audioengine A5's and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting a noticable bump in SQ and with what outside equipment? I still do headphones, but won't bother listing what I have as I'm not bound to what I do have and as I said all listening is on my speakers lately unless I need to be as quiet as possible. Pricerange would ideally be under $500. Any ideas?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/16/11
- brandAudioenginetagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black)tagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudio-gd NFB-2 and NFB-3tagged by System, 9/27/11
- productCowon A5tagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/16/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 8/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please tell me if buying NuForce Icon HDP is a good call Last post on 5/13/13 at 8:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HRT HeadStreamer vs. Audioquest Dragonfly vs. Audioengine D1 comparison video Last post on 7/8/12 at 5:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good deal on NuForce Icon HDP Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
If you are a bass head and like still like to hear to rest of the music, then this Burson V4 could be for you. Charles at Burson had offered the V5 in exchange for a honest evaluation. I did...
Preamble: Founded just last year in 2015, ORIVETI (http://www.oriveti.com/) is still a new company on the market that is however not new to the audio business, having members in their...
Sometimes I have a strong desire to start a review with a conclusion, and then explain everything in more details. This time I think I'll follow this urge. So, OPUS#2 from theBit became for me one...
Meze is a Romanian company which became widely known on a portable audio market after releasing its wooden 99 Classics model. These headphones became a hit due to a semi-portable form factor,...
This is a report about a new IEM from Brainwavz. The B100 Specifications: Drivers : Single Balanced Armature Rated Impedance : 50 Ω Frequency Range : 15 Hz ~ 22...
Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?post #1 of 108/16/11 at 1:09amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 108/16/11 at 1:57am
What do you have them connected to now?
I personally like to use an all-in-one (dac/headamp/preamp) with the A5s. You set the volume on the speakers and control it with the pre-amp.
I started this thread on the A5s & Rokits a couple of weeks ago.
Might help you out if you want to take a look. I've connected various dacs/pre etc. to them.
Cheerspost #3 of 108/16/11 at 3:18amThread Starter
I just have the A5's connected straight to a mac mini. The Icon HDP is being considered to wedge inbetween there but I'm just not sure its what I'm looking for. I've read its obviously a compitent amp/dac for headphone use and it does come with the preamp which means it can be intended for speakers as well, but considering I only care about speakers right now I haven't really read anything that indicates it adds a couple notches in quality. Though I do see the convenience in volume adjustment from a knob that's within arms reach sound is still what I'm after. Wondering if I should just be looking at speaker upgrades instead.post #4 of 108/16/11 at 1:34pm
IMO n0ah, I don't believe you are getting the best out of the A5s connected directly to Mac. That being said, I don't own a Mac, but if I connect the A5s to a laptop vs. a dac the difference is very evident. The A5s sound great as long as they are connected properly and everything is in order in the chain.
Using the volume on the pre-out is very convenient, however if the sound would not be good then it would be a moot point. I look at it as an extra feature on top of great sound.
ATM, I'm using the A5s with the C-2 (pre-out) being fed by the NFB-3. Great sound and good times indeed.
Just my opinion...
Cheerspost #5 of 108/19/11 at 3:44pm
The A5's are a pretty good speaker and they can only amplify whatever signal they are given. It seems like a waste to me to spend that kind of money but not provide a good signal to start with. You don't need anything too fancy. Plus, as posted, if you get something with a preamp you can just use the volume on that to control the speakers. My A5 volume control has never been moved.post #6 of 108/19/11 at 7:31pm
I really like my A-5s and have used them in various configurations. My favorite is with a squeezebox touch (which is well within your $500 budget since the SB runs around $260 on Amazon). It will let you stream all your music as well as internet radio (pandora etc.). The sound quality is better than via the analog out from a computer and the remote on the SB touch works well.post #7 of 108/19/11 at 8:57pm
I actually felt like the A5s sounded great out the box. They're one of the few sub 300 to 500 dollar speaker I've heard that didn't need a lot of work to sound great.
My NHT M-00s on the other hand sound their best with a good Dac and analog pot.post #8 of 109/27/11 at 12:09pm
I had my A5's hooked up to my Dell Studio 15 for a long time, and that sounded great. When I plugged them into my friend's macbook though, their was a noticeable improvement. When I hooked up myA5's to my Fubar 3 amp/dac combo I couldn't really tell if there was an improvement in SQ. Mac's tend to have nicer internal DAC's than other computers. An amp/dac is unnecessary for your current rig.post #9 of 109/27/11 at 12:44pmpost #10 of 109/27/11 at 2:10pm
Didn't Audioengine come up with the N22 amp to specifically match their speakers? I believe Jude also has Audioengine speakers paired with the N22.
- Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Bose QC30 - QuietControl 30 wireless noise canceling earphones -... 56 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › New Posts Toronto GTA Meet January 2017 with Cayin!... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › WTB - Audeze Carbon Fiber Headband 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cable with specific plugs 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Supreme Sound Opamp V4 by snellemin
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by HiFiChris
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by cleg
- › Meze 11 Neo by mgunin
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by Dsnuts
- › Audeze iSine 10 by neilmanalo
- › Stax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeaker by audiophilehe400
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Delance26
- › UMIDIGI BTA9 Sports IEM by NA Blur
- › RHA CL750 by Jackpot77
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear