Most of my listening lately has been through my Audioengine A5's and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting a noticable bump in SQ and with what outside equipment? I still do headphones, but won't bother listing what I have as I'm not bound to what I do have and as I said all listening is on my speakers lately unless I need to be as quiet as possible. Pricerange would ideally be under $500. Any ideas?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/16/11
- brandAudioenginetagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black)tagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudio-gd NFB-2 and NFB-3tagged by System, 9/27/11
- productCowon A5tagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/16/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 8/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please tell me if buying NuForce Icon HDP is a good call Last post on 5/13/13 at 8:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HRT HeadStreamer vs. Audioquest Dragonfly vs. Audioengine D1 comparison video Last post on 7/8/12 at 5:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good deal on NuForce Icon HDP Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
At the time this review was written, the 1More MK802 bluetooth headphone was listed for sale on 1More’s and Amazon’s website. Here are links for more information and...
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?post #1 of 108/16/11 at 1:09amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 108/16/11 at 1:57am
What do you have them connected to now?
I personally like to use an all-in-one (dac/headamp/preamp) with the A5s. You set the volume on the speakers and control it with the pre-amp.
I started this thread on the A5s & Rokits a couple of weeks ago.
Might help you out if you want to take a look. I've connected various dacs/pre etc. to them.
Cheerspost #3 of 108/16/11 at 3:18amThread Starter
I just have the A5's connected straight to a mac mini. The Icon HDP is being considered to wedge inbetween there but I'm just not sure its what I'm looking for. I've read its obviously a compitent amp/dac for headphone use and it does come with the preamp which means it can be intended for speakers as well, but considering I only care about speakers right now I haven't really read anything that indicates it adds a couple notches in quality. Though I do see the convenience in volume adjustment from a knob that's within arms reach sound is still what I'm after. Wondering if I should just be looking at speaker upgrades instead.post #4 of 108/16/11 at 1:34pm
IMO n0ah, I don't believe you are getting the best out of the A5s connected directly to Mac. That being said, I don't own a Mac, but if I connect the A5s to a laptop vs. a dac the difference is very evident. The A5s sound great as long as they are connected properly and everything is in order in the chain.
Using the volume on the pre-out is very convenient, however if the sound would not be good then it would be a moot point. I look at it as an extra feature on top of great sound.
ATM, I'm using the A5s with the C-2 (pre-out) being fed by the NFB-3. Great sound and good times indeed.
Just my opinion...
Cheerspost #5 of 108/19/11 at 3:44pm
The A5's are a pretty good speaker and they can only amplify whatever signal they are given. It seems like a waste to me to spend that kind of money but not provide a good signal to start with. You don't need anything too fancy. Plus, as posted, if you get something with a preamp you can just use the volume on that to control the speakers. My A5 volume control has never been moved.post #6 of 108/19/11 at 7:31pm
I really like my A-5s and have used them in various configurations. My favorite is with a squeezebox touch (which is well within your $500 budget since the SB runs around $260 on Amazon). It will let you stream all your music as well as internet radio (pandora etc.). The sound quality is better than via the analog out from a computer and the remote on the SB touch works well.post #7 of 108/19/11 at 8:57pm
I actually felt like the A5s sounded great out the box. They're one of the few sub 300 to 500 dollar speaker I've heard that didn't need a lot of work to sound great.
My NHT M-00s on the other hand sound their best with a good Dac and analog pot.post #8 of 109/27/11 at 12:09pm
I had my A5's hooked up to my Dell Studio 15 for a long time, and that sounded great. When I plugged them into my friend's macbook though, their was a noticeable improvement. When I hooked up myA5's to my Fubar 3 amp/dac combo I couldn't really tell if there was an improvement in SQ. Mac's tend to have nicer internal DAC's than other computers. An amp/dac is unnecessary for your current rig.post #9 of 109/27/11 at 12:44pmpost #10 of 109/27/11 at 2:10pm
Didn't Audioengine come up with the N22 amp to specifically match their speakers? I believe Jude also has Audioengine speakers paired with the N22.
- Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 2 minutes ago
- › 1more E1001 triple driver in ear headphones review 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 6 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 6 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 9 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 10 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 12 minutes ago
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear