Most of my listening lately has been through my Audioengine A5's and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting a noticable bump in SQ and with what outside equipment? I still do headphones, but won't bother listing what I have as I'm not bound to what I do have and as I said all listening is on my speakers lately unless I need to be as quiet as possible. Pricerange would ideally be under $500. Any ideas?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/16/11
- brandAudioenginetagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black)tagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudio-gd NFB-2 and NFB-3tagged by System, 9/27/11
- productCowon A5tagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/16/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 8/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please tell me if buying NuForce Icon HDP is a good call Last post on 5/13/13 at 8:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HRT HeadStreamer vs. Audioquest Dragonfly vs. Audioengine D1 comparison video Last post on 7/8/12 at 5:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good deal on NuForce Icon HDP Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
- Headphone Impedance
Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What do you have them connected to now?
I personally like to use an all-in-one (dac/headamp/preamp) with the A5s. You set the volume on the speakers and control it with the pre-amp.
I started this thread on the A5s & Rokits a couple of weeks ago.
Might help you out if you want to take a look. I've connected various dacs/pre etc. to them.
I just have the A5's connected straight to a mac mini. The Icon HDP is being considered to wedge inbetween there but I'm just not sure its what I'm looking for. I've read its obviously a compitent amp/dac for headphone use and it does come with the preamp which means it can be intended for speakers as well, but considering I only care about speakers right now I haven't really read anything that indicates it adds a couple notches in quality. Though I do see the convenience in volume adjustment from a knob that's within arms reach sound is still what I'm after. Wondering if I should just be looking at speaker upgrades instead.
IMO n0ah, I don't believe you are getting the best out of the A5s connected directly to Mac. That being said, I don't own a Mac, but if I connect the A5s to a laptop vs. a dac the difference is very evident. The A5s sound great as long as they are connected properly and everything is in order in the chain.
Using the volume on the pre-out is very convenient, however if the sound would not be good then it would be a moot point. I look at it as an extra feature on top of great sound.
ATM, I'm using the A5s with the C-2 (pre-out) being fed by the NFB-3. Great sound and good times indeed.
Just my opinion...
The A5's are a pretty good speaker and they can only amplify whatever signal they are given. It seems like a waste to me to spend that kind of money but not provide a good signal to start with. You don't need anything too fancy. Plus, as posted, if you get something with a preamp you can just use the volume on that to control the speakers. My A5 volume control has never been moved.
I really like my A-5s and have used them in various configurations. My favorite is with a squeezebox touch (which is well within your $500 budget since the SB runs around $260 on Amazon). It will let you stream all your music as well as internet radio (pandora etc.). The sound quality is better than via the analog out from a computer and the remote on the SB touch works well.
I actually felt like the A5s sounded great out the box. They're one of the few sub 300 to 500 dollar speaker I've heard that didn't need a lot of work to sound great.
My NHT M-00s on the other hand sound their best with a good Dac and analog pot.
I had my A5's hooked up to my Dell Studio 15 for a long time, and that sounded great. When I plugged them into my friend's macbook though, their was a noticeable improvement. When I hooked up myA5's to my Fubar 3 amp/dac combo I couldn't really tell if there was an improvement in SQ. Mac's tend to have nicer internal DAC's than other computers. An amp/dac is unnecessary for your current rig.
Didn't Audioengine come up with the N22 amp to specifically match their speakers? I believe Jude also has Audioengine speakers paired with the N22.
- Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser IE 800 (2 weeks old mint condition, includes everything)... 50 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Mezzo Hifi - New AK120/AK100 Mods (WM8741 in software mode) 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.085 . . . . 5 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 8 minutes ago
- › My GRADO sounds THINNER? 9 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 10 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)