Most of my listening lately has been through my Audioengine A5's and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting a noticable bump in SQ and with what outside equipment? I still do headphones, but won't bother listing what I have as I'm not bound to what I do have and as I said all listening is on my speakers lately unless I need to be as quiet as possible. Pricerange would ideally be under $500. Any ideas?
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/16/11
- brandAudioenginetagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black)tagged by System, 8/16/11
- productAudio-gd NFB-2 and NFB-3tagged by System, 9/27/11
- productCowon A5tagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/16/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 8/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please tell me if buying NuForce Icon HDP is a good call Last post on 5/13/13 at 8:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HRT HeadStreamer vs. Audioquest Dragonfly vs. Audioengine D1 comparison video Last post on 7/8/12 at 5:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good deal on NuForce Icon HDP Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
- Headphone Impedance
Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What do you have them connected to now?
I personally like to use an all-in-one (dac/headamp/preamp) with the A5s. You set the volume on the speakers and control it with the pre-amp.
I started this thread on the A5s & Rokits a couple of weeks ago.
Might help you out if you want to take a look. I've connected various dacs/pre etc. to them.
I just have the A5's connected straight to a mac mini. The Icon HDP is being considered to wedge inbetween there but I'm just not sure its what I'm looking for. I've read its obviously a compitent amp/dac for headphone use and it does come with the preamp which means it can be intended for speakers as well, but considering I only care about speakers right now I haven't really read anything that indicates it adds a couple notches in quality. Though I do see the convenience in volume adjustment from a knob that's within arms reach sound is still what I'm after. Wondering if I should just be looking at speaker upgrades instead.
IMO n0ah, I don't believe you are getting the best out of the A5s connected directly to Mac. That being said, I don't own a Mac, but if I connect the A5s to a laptop vs. a dac the difference is very evident. The A5s sound great as long as they are connected properly and everything is in order in the chain.
Using the volume on the pre-out is very convenient, however if the sound would not be good then it would be a moot point. I look at it as an extra feature on top of great sound.
ATM, I'm using the A5s with the C-2 (pre-out) being fed by the NFB-3. Great sound and good times indeed.
Just my opinion...
The A5's are a pretty good speaker and they can only amplify whatever signal they are given. It seems like a waste to me to spend that kind of money but not provide a good signal to start with. You don't need anything too fancy. Plus, as posted, if you get something with a preamp you can just use the volume on that to control the speakers. My A5 volume control has never been moved.
I really like my A-5s and have used them in various configurations. My favorite is with a squeezebox touch (which is well within your $500 budget since the SB runs around $260 on Amazon). It will let you stream all your music as well as internet radio (pandora etc.). The sound quality is better than via the analog out from a computer and the remote on the SB touch works well.
I actually felt like the A5s sounded great out the box. They're one of the few sub 300 to 500 dollar speaker I've heard that didn't need a lot of work to sound great.
My NHT M-00s on the other hand sound their best with a good Dac and analog pot.
I had my A5's hooked up to my Dell Studio 15 for a long time, and that sounded great. When I plugged them into my friend's macbook though, their was a noticeable improvement. When I hooked up myA5's to my Fubar 3 amp/dac combo I couldn't really tell if there was an improvement in SQ. Mac's tend to have nicer internal DAC's than other computers. An amp/dac is unnecessary for your current rig.
Didn't Audioengine come up with the N22 amp to specifically match their speakers? I believe Jude also has Audioengine speakers paired with the N22.
- Amp/DAC for A5 speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 36 seconds ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 1 minute ago
- › High End audiophile products - not many differences to cheap... 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 3 minutes ago
- › Audiofly AF180 - Like new, 2 years Amazon EU warranty, Original box... 3 minutes ago
- › How do you collect music? 4 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2