I own a pair of RS-1 and want to purchase an amp, I was considering the MAD ear+, but after reading forums it seems that the Little Dot I+ is a popular match for grados. At around $100 it is very affordable, should I pull the trigger on it or wait to save up for that MAD ear+? I can't listen to either, so I am looking for input from those who have heard one or both. Will I get $600 of greater sound from the MAD ear+ or will the LD I+ make my ears as happy as my wallet?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading my amp for my SR325is Last post on 7/8/12 at 1:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which full size amp and dac to pair with my headphones? Last post on 7/6/12 at 3:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DT 770 Pros (Again) Or...? Last post on 7/5/12 at 12:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help needed to pick an amp for DT 770 80 Ω Last post on 6/24/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Grado PS500 with Asus Xonar Essence ST Sound Card Last post on 6/21/12 at 4:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Vibro Labs Aria (universal) – initial impressions In my travels on Head-Fi over the last year or so, Vibro Labs is a name I had heard bandied around in various forums, mainly as makers of...
Alright, these are the most confusing set of cans I've ever owned. Why are they so cheap? It doesn't make any sense. Right out of the gate, these are the most comfortable set of headphones...
These are easily my favorite headphones I own. My review will be assuming you have Shure 1540 pads, but I'll go over some other options as well. Lets get the big negative out of the way now....
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
Looking for input from Grado users.post #1 of 218/15/11 at 1:54pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 218/15/11 at 3:39pm
I currently own the LDI+ and I could say a bit about it but don't know much about the MAD ear since its way out of my league. LDI+ is definitely designed for Grados especially when you do some tube and opamp rolling, you get exactly what you want from your music. Different tubes and opamps could match your preference in music. And depending on your needs, I would actually get the LDI+ and whatever money is left, invest in a decent dac, doesn't matter if its a dedicated or with preamp, your grados will sound fantastic thats for sure!post #3 of 218/16/11 at 11:13am
I've had the Grado RS1 with MAD EAR HD but not heard the LDI+. If you are the kind to be happy/content with what you got, than I'd say save your money on a decent dac but if you're the kind to want to upgrade or to wonder what all the fuss is about the MAD EAR and it's magical synergy with Grado's than I'd say wait and save some money and get the MAD EAR HD.post #4 of 218/16/11 at 12:32pmThread Starter
Has anyone used both of these amps? I could really use the perspective of someone who has listened to both and can advise whether the difference is worth the money, not to say I don't appreciate everyone else's input.post #5 of 218/16/11 at 4:13pm
I own both and have for a while. First, as sling pointed out- What is your source? (laptop, ipod, dac, cdp etc...)...If you're using a laptop/pc, an external dac is the way to go.
In reference to the amps:
LDI+---Three families of tubes (EF95, EF91/EF92 & 408A). It's a hybrid amp. Great with Grados and low impedance cans.
Mapletree--- Tubes- 12B4A x2, 5751, 12AX7, 7025. Great with both low impedance and high impedance cans (two headphone outs, hi & lo)
I can honestly say that I love 'em both and don't see myself parting with either. In terms of tube rolling, the I+ is a lot of fun and lots of tubes are inexpensive. With the Mapletree I have settled on the 7025s and they are some great tubes and great sound indeed. However, prices tend to go up on them.
In reference to- "Will I get $600 of greater sound from the MAD ear+ or will the LD I+ make my ears as happy as my wallet? """
Well, that's a tough one because everything is subjective in this hobby. Both sound great, as long as your "chain" is in order. The MAD will give you more options for the future if you get high impedance cans, whereas the I+ is limited to low impedance (I don't go over 75ohm cans with it).
I don't like to advise folks on how to spend their $, because, again, subjectivity is a big issue. I will say that you can't go wrong with either and both will give you your money's worth.
If I was in your shoes and had 700 beans right now, I'd go for the Mapletree and give them RS1's some MAD love....However, if I had 150 beans right now and that was it, I'd jump on that I+ and enjoy it, roll some tubes and opamps and after a while if your curiosity gets the best of you, then you take it from there.
Some pics I took last year while I was moving some gear around---
Cheerspost #6 of 218/16/11 at 7:23pmThread Starterpost #7 of 218/16/11 at 8:20pm
An operational amplifier ("op-amp") is a DC-coupled high-gain electronic voltage amplifier with a differential input and, usually, a single-ended output. An op-amp produces an output voltage that is typically hundreds of thousands times larger than the voltage difference between its input terminals.
Good thread here about opamp rolling the I+post #8 of 218/17/11 at 2:43pmThread Starter
Thanks for the info! I pulled the trigger on the Little Dot I+ today with the Western Electric 408a tubes. Also ordered a National Semiconducter LM4562 opamp to drop into it once it gets here! I figure this will be a good start.post #9 of 218/17/11 at 3:14pmThread Starter
I have one more question. I currently am putting my music on an ipod from my pc to listen to with my headphones. Once I get my amp, should I continue to go from the ipod to the amp? I currently using an x-fi sound card that came with my Foxconn Bloodrage motherboard, but I have an x-fi Platinum with the front panel as well. Most of my files are Apple Lossless audio or FLAC, and I am not sure about the external DAC. I think I will get one at some point soon, just not sure how I would go from my source (PC) through the chain. Thanks.post #10 of 218/17/11 at 3:32pmpost #11 of 218/17/11 at 3:36pm
In reference to the soundcard, I can't advise on that. I'm an external dac guy. Does not hurt to try the outputs on card, however, better sound can be attained externally. I connect my ipods (lossless) all the time to the I+. As long as you connect through line-out, not headphone out.post #12 of 218/17/11 at 3:59pmThread Starter
Nice! I guess I will go from the Ipod for the time being. So by the looks of your photos, I need a dock or a line out to rca plugs? When I do get a DAC, do I just connect that to my pc with a USB to get my files?post #13 of 218/17/11 at 4:44pm
In the pics with my Darkvoice, I'm running an RCA to ipod connector cable. Purchased from RAM
My wooden dock has RCA & 1/8" mini. So I run RCA cables to I+ to dock. (dock purchased from ALOAudio).
In reference to the dac, that is correct. You run usb input (or if your card has optical or coax out) to dac, then connect I+ to dac (RCA).
Enjoy!post #14 of 218/17/11 at 5:07pm
I was just reading the thread and wanted to say--Have Fun, your on your way to some seriously good music listening. All of the above folks gave you excellent advice, DAC's can be pricey and get up there pretty fast once you break down your wants and needs. If I was starting out again I'd get a Nuforce Udac, they are like $129 and offer a lot in a little convenient package..that way you get a taste of what your tunes can sound like and while you enjoying your new setup read as much as you can about DAC's they are a unique animal, I use a Grant Fidelity $200 Tube DAC-09 and I'm waiting on the Schiit audio Bifrost to ship me the one I ordered when they are released. I'm on soc. sec. so money is tight and there are a ton of really good budget priced items that why I say to research your next move or you'll end up chasing a sound you don't know how to get and buy piece after piece-I see it all the time. Get a DAC at first that will do 24/96 files with USB so you can check out hi-rez and be able to hear it correctly..the Udac does that.....I'm not affiliated with Nuforce its just my thought.......above all have a ball, I do everyday since I started at this 2 years ago.....its a blast!!!!post #15 of 218/18/11 at 4:07pm
Nice stuff you have the HeatFan, and terrific suggestions. I have had an I+ for a while now and while I like it... I keep thinking I could be missing something with the Mapletree. I have a set of Symphone's Magnums on the way and want to make sure I get the most from them. :-)
- Looking for input from Grado users.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 22 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › FIIL Diva PRO Appreciation and Discussion Thread - Premium Headsets... 1 minute ago
- › Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread) 2 minutes ago
- › Needing new headphones but on a budget 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › The good science fiction recommendation thread 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO Relases updated HA-2SE Headphone Amplifier With New ESS... 4 minutes ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...