You're supposed to feel bass too, just not in the sense of two vibrators strapped to your ears.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/18/11
- brandSkullcandytagged by System, 8/18/11
- productSkullcandy SCS-SCW3.5 Skullcrusher Subwoofer Stereo Headphones (White)tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Help on buying bassy headphones. Last post on 8/15/11 at 5:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass Headphones Help! (About $150 budget) Last post on 6/1/14 at 9:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed-back full-sized over ear headphones, ideal for listening to reggae and accoustic Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:05am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Skullcandy Skullcrushers---REAL Subwoofers??? - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 363/7/14 at 6:03pmQuote:wat?..Originally Posted by djviciouscycle
The Skullcrushers use tactile sound transducers. TSTs are pretty much identical to the vibrating things found in video game controls. The idea hasn't totally caught on, but TSTs can be applied to car stereos, video game systems, and home theaters (Buttkicker). Tactile sound transducers typically hook up to audio outputs, and, instead of drivers, they use motorized parts which vibrate/spin, usually tuned to move in response to sub bass frequencies. The plus side is that you get the sensation of movement from sub bass frequencies (which we can't hear anyways) without the ear damaging SPLs required to make woofers physically vibrate. The downsides are that they may not be perfectly tuned, or that people see these things as a break from tradition. The idea of applying TSTs to headphones is interesting to me. I have heard the Skullcrushers, and they don't sound very good, but I still sometimes think of adding a set to my collection. Now I just have to decide if I am willing to throw my cred out the window and get Skullcandy, or, even worse, fuss with batteries in my headphones.post #33 of 365/27/15 at 3:43pm
I know this is an old thread. BUT, i came across it today looking for info about the amplifier in the skullcrushers, which i did not find any, but found alot of wrong information.I have the answers to the original posters question . Are they real subwoofers inside . Well, lets see . there are two drivers inside each ears cup., not 1 driver and a playstation style vibrator.
The drivers for bass , are ran thru the inline amp , AND A CROSSOVER that lets only the bass frequencies play thru those bass drivers. not really SUB BASS , but bass. i think the reason they dont sound good , is becouse the main driver is a cheap 30mm driver with almost no bass whatsoever. and the bass driver is just not a very good design. its a custom made speaker with a few little differences to make the bass feeling more FELT, for a lack of better words. The bass driver is kind of like a modified "normal" speaker, in which the cone has had a weight added to it , so when it is moving u feel it more.kinda hard to explain how it is made without dissasembly of the driver. which i dont want to do, becouse it would be near imposssible to re assemble in working order.
Also the placement of the drivers , kinda seems to me like a bad placement. The main(hi,mid) driver, sits right in front off bass driver. So it would seem as if the bass drivers sound has to push thru the other driver while its playing, instead of having a enclosure built inside for the bass , posibly with ports exiting out of the earcup. im sorry if my explination is not so good. just wanted to let people who want to know , know the details of how they really work and whats inside.
Also, my son has a pair of the skullcandy CRUSHERS, and they are WAY WAY WAY better. Im pretty sure just a re designed skullcrusher but re designed ALL AROUND .same idea but alot more thought into it "in my opinion". I believe that the skullcrusher was their first attempt , and that they didnt do it right. CRUSHER also has a re designed amplifier, and re designed driver for the bass. with a bigger driver for the mids and highs 40mm. they are night and day difference between the two.
I feel that the skullcrusher SOUNDS like what most people think it will when they think of skullcandy, but the CRUSHER is actually pretty awesome. i listen to everything accept country, i enjoy more bass than most anyone ive ever met. but over the years have grown to like all the sounds to be able to compete with my bass an be loud and clear but still be able to have tremendous bass without the high/mids being drowned out by the bass. in that case i personally will upgrade my highs and mids to match the output of my subwoofers.
To my ears and tested with a few tone generators. it sounds like the skullcrushers are being amplified at about 80Hz( not cool in my opinion), and the bass falls out around 50Hz. and that sucks, the bass i want to hear the most from any headphones or systems, is around 20hz to 50hz. thats my favorite range. the CRUSHERS sound like they are amplified around 45hz to 50hz , and with the bass dissapearing around 30 hz and below. i was a lil dissapointed with the amped freq responce(alot dissapointed actually). but in the end i really enjoyed the CRUSHERS .THE SKULLCRUSHERS NOT AS MUCH. i have pictures of the drivers and headphones disassembled. but cannot post them yet as im to new.
I also have listened to the beats PRO in stores and the bass is nowhere near what the crusher makes. Also the skullcandy HESH 2 are a decent headphone for the price(around 30$). they have 50mm drivers and they sound not bad. other skullcandy headphones ive tried were cheap'y. but i have noticed that the quality in skullcandies is getting alot better over the years.
ALSO I CAN REMEMBER IN THE EARLY 80S HAVING TO BUY SONY HEADPHONES CONSTANTLY AS THEY WERE CHEAP PLASTIC AND BROKE ALOT, AND THERE WERE ALOT BETTER HEADPHONES AVAILABLE AT THE TIME. IM NOT TRYING TO BASH SONY AS ID LOVE TO GET THE 700'S OR 1000'S. JUST SAYING THAT THEY WERENT SO MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE(SARCASM) WHEN THEY STARTED . DONT BASH OTHER BRANDS SO HARD. SKULLCANDY AINT THE BEST IN ANY WAY, BUT ALSO THERE IS MUCH WORSE AND WAY CHEAPER AROUND, AND NOT EVERYONE HAS 2 OR 4 HUNDRED TO DROP ON EVERY SET OF PHONES , IVE NEVER HAD THE SET THAT WOULD MAKE ME NOT WANT FOR A BETTER SET. YETpost #34 of 365/27/15 at 4:04pm
I aslo just wanted to mention that the skullcrushers i bought for 5 dollars , in perfect condition but used ,BARELY LOL. And my son bought the CRUSHERS brand new at fredmeyer for 45$ on sale. I had read alot of reviews stating the skullcrushers were crap, but for 5 bucks i couldnt pass up the deal.
In my mind i was really only buying the inline amp and bass speakers in it ,to disect and modify to make better / more powerful. for my own uses.For the price and sound. the skullcrushers arent worth the money. But the crushers are, in my opinion. they both are a pretty cool idea to me too, and i myself hope that other companys invest in and improve the idea .ive seen that alpine electronics has made a similar headphone. But with what i know of it im just not sure they did it right either. but i have not heard the alpines.post #35 of 365/28/15 at 8:02am
I wrote this on skullcanys facebook and this was their reply
Skullcandy is going in the right direction with crushers for low end lovers and they are a big improvement from their 1st gen skullcrushers. But with so many bass notes missing compared to my beats by dre there is room for improvement
Skullcandy Thanks for the recommendation. We're always stoked to get feedback like this. Also, we've got some goods in the works that will melt your face.post #36 of 365/28/15 at 8:07am
Slightly unrelated, but I remember seeing an AMA on Reddit with some of the Skullcandy developers, and I'm fairly sure I remember seeing something about them attempting to build a true audiophile pair of Skullcandys without the ridiculously muddy bass. Does anyone know if this ever came to fruition or if I'm completely making that up??...
- Skullcandy Skullcrushers---REAL Subwoofers???
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 1 second ago
- › Ends Oct 7th! Focusrite Rednet 3 Pro Audio Digital Transport Dante... 41 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet, 6th Edition -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2016 (October... 51 seconds ago
- › Good 2.0 + sub system? 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 5 minutes ago
- › Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review 5 minutes ago
- › Macbook alternative to iTunes - playback and mobile sync only 5 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...