I'm currently running a set of Sony XB700's with a Fiio E5 and a Toshiba Laptop. I'm new to this world and figured what I was using was enough but I've been bit my the upgrade bug. I'm not sure if it's because I want new headphones or what but from what I've been told in other forums that for the type of music I'm listening to currently, the XB700 should be where I should stay. That being said, I just started reading up on Dac's and became interested as I have no idea if the sound card in this laptop is decent enough and it's my understanding (forgive me if I'm wrong) that the Dac will bypass the soundcard of the laptop and improve sound quality. Is that all it does? Does it offer any sort of boost in output or do I have to get an amp to do so? Back when I got the XB700 I was looking at getting the Headroom Bithead also but now I don't even hear it mentioned much anymore where some of the newer Fiio's are. Seems you can stack the E7 and E9 to give you an amp and a dac...which is where this whole topic comes from. Do I need both for those specific headphones?
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II + FiiO E7? Last post on 9/25/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Urgent Advice Needed Last post on 9/18/11 at 1:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Help!! All audiophiles!! Last post on 8/28/11 at 5:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need portable amp with Sennheiser HD650. Need Advice Last post on 8/28/11 at 11:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Investing for Headphones+DAC Last post on 8/5/11 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The TH900 is magical. It's the hot rod of flagship, makes no apologies, and takes no prisoners IF, you wanna take it that far. This phone just begs to be driven, and it just keeps producing. I find...
Budget audiophile brand Brainwavz Audio is back at it, closing out 2016 and kicking off 2017 with a bevy of new earphone offerings. Their timing was just right. Shortly before leaving for an...
Great lil on-ear headphone but a lil bit uncomfortable on ear. Not for someone who loves heavy bass but good for seeking clarity ;) My opinion, my first AKG product. Tried the AKG Y50 but to me,...
In Ears Prophile 8 IEM review January 2017 Intro I had heard of In Ears but did not know too much about them until I see them on the In-Ear stand at the Indulgence show in London...
MrZ's Toneking Musicmaker TingThe review that swayed me to get on-boardhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584The slightly down-line 1/2 price...
Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 48/17/11 at 9:17pm
E7 = E5 + DAC, basically. If you do not have some kind of soundcard that you plug into your laptop already, then an amp + DAC will give you better sound. There are loads of choices around, perhaps some people can recommend some based on your budget. E9 is a desktop amplifier, not portable like E5/6/7, and much more powerful. Your headphone is pretty efficient, so you don't need the E9.post #3 of 48/18/11 at 5:46pmpost #4 of 48/19/11 at 3:20pm
You'll def notice a difference with a DAC (unless you get a bad one) but there are probably 1000 threads on that topic.
The e7/e9 is a nice combo for the money but the e17 will be a clear step up when it finally comes out. Note, you can hook any DAC you want upto the e9.
- Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza 22 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio' Andromeda' IEMs, Brand New in Sealed Box ***SALE... 1 minute ago
- › MSUR N650 / N550 / N350 any experience? 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android |... 5 minutes ago
- › Philadelphia Area Meet, January 29, 2017 - NO Football that weekend! 7 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 8 minutes ago
- › A+ Technology in Daniel Hertz's Master Class software and future of... 8 minutes ago
- › Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and... 9 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by suman134
- › Fostex TH 900 by Scott Branham
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear