I'm currently running a set of Sony XB700's with a Fiio E5 and a Toshiba Laptop. I'm new to this world and figured what I was using was enough but I've been bit my the upgrade bug. I'm not sure if it's because I want new headphones or what but from what I've been told in other forums that for the type of music I'm listening to currently, the XB700 should be where I should stay. That being said, I just started reading up on Dac's and became interested as I have no idea if the sound card in this laptop is decent enough and it's my understanding (forgive me if I'm wrong) that the Dac will bypass the soundcard of the laptop and improve sound quality. Is that all it does? Does it offer any sort of boost in output or do I have to get an amp to do so? Back when I got the XB700 I was looking at getting the Headroom Bithead also but now I don't even hear it mentioned much anymore where some of the newer Fiio's are. Seems you can stack the E7 and E9 to give you an amp and a dac...which is where this whole topic comes from. Do I need both for those specific headphones?
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II + FiiO E7? Last post on 9/25/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Urgent Advice Needed Last post on 9/18/11 at 1:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Help!! All audiophiles!! Last post on 8/28/11 at 5:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need portable amp with Sennheiser HD650. Need Advice Last post on 8/28/11 at 11:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Investing for Headphones+DAC Last post on 8/5/11 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 48/17/11 at 9:17pm
E7 = E5 + DAC, basically. If you do not have some kind of soundcard that you plug into your laptop already, then an amp + DAC will give you better sound. There are loads of choices around, perhaps some people can recommend some based on your budget. E9 is a desktop amplifier, not portable like E5/6/7, and much more powerful. Your headphone is pretty efficient, so you don't need the E9.post #3 of 48/18/11 at 5:46pmpost #4 of 48/19/11 at 3:20pm
You'll def notice a difference with a DAC (unless you get a bad one) but there are probably 1000 threads on that topic.
The e7/e9 is a nice combo for the money but the e17 will be a clear step up when it finally comes out. Note, you can hook any DAC you want upto the e9.
- Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Tea-Fi? 15 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 34 seconds ago
- › Shure SE215! WITH FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING! 35 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Headphone-palooza shoot-out! 8 cans reviewed here! 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 6 minutes ago
- › [Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price. 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)