I'm currently running a set of Sony XB700's with a Fiio E5 and a Toshiba Laptop. I'm new to this world and figured what I was using was enough but I've been bit my the upgrade bug. I'm not sure if it's because I want new headphones or what but from what I've been told in other forums that for the type of music I'm listening to currently, the XB700 should be where I should stay. That being said, I just started reading up on Dac's and became interested as I have no idea if the sound card in this laptop is decent enough and it's my understanding (forgive me if I'm wrong) that the Dac will bypass the soundcard of the laptop and improve sound quality. Is that all it does? Does it offer any sort of boost in output or do I have to get an amp to do so? Back when I got the XB700 I was looking at getting the Headroom Bithead also but now I don't even hear it mentioned much anymore where some of the newer Fiio's are. Seems you can stack the E7 and E9 to give you an amp and a dac...which is where this whole topic comes from. Do I need both for those specific headphones?
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 8/20/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II + FiiO E7? Last post on 9/25/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Urgent Advice Needed Last post on 9/18/11 at 1:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Help!! All audiophiles!! Last post on 8/28/11 at 5:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need portable amp with Sennheiser HD650. Need Advice Last post on 8/28/11 at 11:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Investing for Headphones+DAC Last post on 8/5/11 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 48/17/11 at 9:17pm
E7 = E5 + DAC, basically. If you do not have some kind of soundcard that you plug into your laptop already, then an amp + DAC will give you better sound. There are loads of choices around, perhaps some people can recommend some based on your budget. E9 is a desktop amplifier, not portable like E5/6/7, and much more powerful. Your headphone is pretty efficient, so you don't need the E9.post #3 of 48/18/11 at 5:46pmpost #4 of 48/19/11 at 3:20pm
You'll def notice a difference with a DAC (unless you get a bad one) but there are probably 1000 threads on that topic.
The e7/e9 is a nice combo for the money but the e17 will be a clear step up when it finally comes out. Note, you can hook any DAC you want upto the e9.
- Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Soundstage Head Club 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › AMB a20 Balanced Pre Amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Analog Paper^2 Discussion and Appreciation Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 4 minutes ago
- › Objective2 (O2) Amp from JDS Labs 4 minutes ago
- › Are you a proud audiophile? 5 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude