I'm currently running a set of Sony XB700's with a Fiio E5 and a Toshiba Laptop. I'm new to this world and figured what I was using was enough but I've been bit my the upgrade bug. I'm not sure if it's because I want new headphones or what but from what I've been told in other forums that for the type of music I'm listening to currently, the XB700 should be where I should stay. That being said, I just started reading up on Dac's and became interested as I have no idea if the sound card in this laptop is decent enough and it's my understanding (forgive me if I'm wrong) that the Dac will bypass the soundcard of the laptop and improve sound quality. Is that all it does? Does it offer any sort of boost in output or do I have to get an amp to do so? Back when I got the XB700 I was looking at getting the Headroom Bithead also but now I don't even hear it mentioned much anymore where some of the newer Fiio's are. Seems you can stack the E7 and E9 to give you an amp and a dac...which is where this whole topic comes from. Do I need both for those specific headphones?
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/18/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II + FiiO E7? Last post on 9/25/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Urgent Advice Needed Last post on 9/18/11 at 1:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Help!! All audiophiles!! Last post on 8/28/11 at 5:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need portable amp with Sennheiser HD650. Need Advice Last post on 8/28/11 at 11:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Investing for Headphones+DAC Last post on 8/5/11 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 48/17/11 at 9:17pm
E7 = E5 + DAC, basically. If you do not have some kind of soundcard that you plug into your laptop already, then an amp + DAC will give you better sound. There are loads of choices around, perhaps some people can recommend some based on your budget. E9 is a desktop amplifier, not portable like E5/6/7, and much more powerful. Your headphone is pretty efficient, so you don't need the E9.post #3 of 48/18/11 at 5:46pmpost #4 of 48/19/11 at 3:20pm
You'll def notice a difference with a DAC (unless you get a bad one) but there are probably 1000 threads on that topic.
The e7/e9 is a nice combo for the money but the e17 will be a clear step up when it finally comes out. Note, you can hook any DAC you want upto the e9.
- Dac VS Amp or Dac + Amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 14 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Advice on DAC/AMP + Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Speaker placement for a corner desk 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 5 minutes ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 5 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)