The bass on the ER-4 was super detailed and razor sharp, yes..... but too thin and lacking in.. how to put it... uummph.
- productFischer Audio DBA-02tagged by System, 8/15/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 8/15/11
- productJAYS q-JAYS Dual Armature In-Ear Earphones (White)tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productJVC/Victor FX700tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 8/15/11
- productWestone 3 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productWestone ES3Xtagged by System, 8/15/11
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 8/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- What are the biggest flaws of your favorite iems? Last post on 12/2/13 at 5:05pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM upgrade suggestions, budget £200 ($300) Last post on 7/3/12 at 4:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM help: Looking for my last IEM Last post on 5/25/11 at 3:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On the prowl again for IEM. Need input. Last post on 3/28/11 at 8:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Other multiple driver universal IEMs Last post on 6/9/10 at 7:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
BA vs. Dynamic drivers: A discussion - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
ER-4PT direct out of a standard mp3 player was really dull.
ER-4PT(S) + 75 ohm cable out of a headphone amp (Yulong U100) really took them up a level, however I felt I could drive the ER-4S just fine out of my DAP, or at max volume out of my laptop.
I never EQ'd them actually, but the razory bass is ill-suited for my electronic music, which often has distorted bass on purpose, and then the ER-4 really just shows that shredded bass to you and it sounds like something is incorrect (when it's not, it's just displaying that information in the bass to you in an uncommon way), so the ER-4S was ill-suited for that, however I still liked them a lot, apart from the fit.
I'd be happy to try the ER-4 again in a custom IEM, which I intend on doing rather soon I think, I think the perfect fit and perhaps eq'ing the bass like you're saying with result in a pretty good sound.
The EX600 btw, I find is leaning more towards razory bass than uumphy bass, it's just borderline razory for me, to be honest I like the bass in the EX700 better, which quite likely has my subjective favorite bass in any IEM, but the EX600 mids are far far nicer than the EX700.
Edit: The EX600 has better sub-bass than the EX700 though, however it has less hmm how to explain this... it has less viscerality.... ugh I hate analyzing the weaknesses of the EX600 I love this IEM so much.
Edited by kiteki - 8/19/11 at 7:16am
and by the way, let me deviate with a highly subjective and colourful statement for a moment:
I'm listening to the EX600 right now and it crushes the ER-4P all over the place, it's like listening to full-size blaring floor speakers versus 10cm tall logitechs, it's like Usain Bolt competing against Jennifer Lopez in a 100m sprint, it's like technicolor ice-cream versus plain vanilla, it's like passionfruit vodka versus fermented tap water in Sierra Leone.
That's a bit exaggerated!
Old thread, but Kiteki is right. The Etys have little bass impact due to the nature of the BA. But razor sharp is a good way to put it. I like this kind of bass. I think the more impact that is present, the less resolution you get (with the hf5).
How about those of us that sold ours. Two or three times even.
While IEM's like the Ety's might not have the same BOOM as some dynamics and even other BA's but with a descant amp the bass sounds very clean and can go relatively deep with a good bit of punch. To be honest I think my HF5 while its bass doesn't have the same impact as my TF10's or FXT90's it has a more clean and cohesive sound but thats not to say I like it more than the others. I still like my Ety's a lot and their a good change of pace IEM for me when I want a more detailed sound.
Edited by jiff - 1/12/12 at 7:19pm
It doesn't move much air like dynamic drivers.
Also, if anyone's interested, I don't have a preference for dynamic or BA, it entirely depends on the headphone. Having heard quite a few IEMs the EX600 and hf5 remains my favorites, both are fairly flat, yet they sound so different.
Edited by staxxx - 1/12/12 at 7:25pm
- BA vs. Dynamic drivers: A discussion
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › audio-gd C-2 Class A 1 minute ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Tera Player Thread - impressions, opinions, reviews , SQ. 4 minutes ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 10 minutes ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 13 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 14 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 16 minutes ago
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)