I'm new to this site and being ignorant in headphones I nearly bought skullcandy skullcrushers. So what I need help with is finding a good set of headphones that are good with rock, alternative, and dubstep. I like tight bass that is very clean and prominent. Price range is anything under $100. Thanks!
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandSkullcandytagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 8/15/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Bass-Heavy, Comfortable Headphones Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cans that have a BEATS sound but are better for ~$150? Last post on 12/17/11 at 1:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New to headphones, looking to move away from my Bose ( Need more bass ) Last post on 10/16/11 at 5:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-680 any good? Last post on 9/24/11 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
XBA-A2 The title says "Japanese import" and I had to an add and search just to do a review. I went on a mission...
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pm
XB500 if you want even more raw bass. Equalize to bring out mids/highs and it's an excellent headphone for it's cost.
Spend $30 more ($130) and get the Ultrasone HFI 580 ultimately.
Very best,post #3 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pmpost #4 of 88/14/11 at 2:58pmThread Starterpost #5 of 88/14/11 at 3:01pmpost #6 of 88/14/11 at 3:20pmQuote:
Very comfortable. The pads are very squishy, like big pillows.
But if the style isn't what you think you would like, by all means, look elsewhere.
Here's how big they actually are, and what they look like on a person:
Very best,post #7 of 88/14/11 at 3:24pmThread Starter
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.post #8 of 88/15/11 at 5:29amQuote:Originally Posted by EpicPoptartPuma
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.
Remember to play with your equalizer. The XB500 sounds like there is a veil on the mids/highs at first when you listen to something that is like acoustic, vocals, indie or folk for example. It's the only headphone that I have that benefits from EQ in a major way. Bring your mids/highs up a few dB with the Equalizer and you will have a very full bodied sound, still with massive bass, but with some good mids/highs too. It's a headphone that you can take the veil away, and it doesn't distort or sound off, it just sounds better. A well equalized XB500 sounds like a $200 headphone to me.
I played around and was listening to Ani Difranco on settings like this in my Foobar2k Equalizer (granted, it sounds different for me due to my DAC, but you get the idea, raised mids/highs):
- Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 8 seconds ago
- › Help needed for positional audio, headphones & microphone / Headset 9 seconds ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 35 seconds ago
- › Schiit Modi USB DAC 1 minute ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 4 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out 1000K in Red 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2