I'm new to this site and being ignorant in headphones I nearly bought skullcandy skullcrushers. So what I need help with is finding a good set of headphones that are good with rock, alternative, and dubstep. I like tight bass that is very clean and prominent. Price range is anything under $100. Thanks!
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandSkullcandytagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 8/15/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Bass-Heavy, Comfortable Headphones Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cans that have a BEATS sound but are better for ~$150? Last post on 12/17/11 at 1:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New to headphones, looking to move away from my Bose ( Need more bass ) Last post on 10/16/11 at 5:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-680 any good? Last post on 9/24/11 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Introduction – It can be hard to find a rational reason to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers when there are so many fantastic computer out there that offer more features and similar sound...
Gear references Favourite: D2000 (balanced with sub-bass and upper-midrange emphasis) Neutrality: SRH940 (though with a slight treble emphasis) IEM reference: Aurisonics...
Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR-2 DAP Review And Impressions - Expatinjapan Head Pie Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2...
Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pm
XB500 if you want even more raw bass. Equalize to bring out mids/highs and it's an excellent headphone for it's cost.
Spend $30 more ($130) and get the Ultrasone HFI 580 ultimately.
Very best,post #3 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pmpost #4 of 88/14/11 at 2:58pmThread Starterpost #5 of 88/14/11 at 3:01pmpost #6 of 88/14/11 at 3:20pmQuote:
Very comfortable. The pads are very squishy, like big pillows.
But if the style isn't what you think you would like, by all means, look elsewhere.
Here's how big they actually are, and what they look like on a person:
Very best,post #7 of 88/14/11 at 3:24pmThread Starter
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.post #8 of 88/15/11 at 5:29amQuote:Originally Posted by EpicPoptartPuma
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.
Remember to play with your equalizer. The XB500 sounds like there is a veil on the mids/highs at first when you listen to something that is like acoustic, vocals, indie or folk for example. It's the only headphone that I have that benefits from EQ in a major way. Bring your mids/highs up a few dB with the Equalizer and you will have a very full bodied sound, still with massive bass, but with some good mids/highs too. It's a headphone that you can take the veil away, and it doesn't distort or sound off, it just sounds better. A well equalized XB500 sounds like a $200 headphone to me.
I played around and was listening to Ani Difranco on settings like this in my Foobar2k Equalizer (granted, it sounds different for me due to my DAC, but you get the idea, raised mids/highs):
- Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 13 seconds ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 58 seconds ago
- › Hey guys - how can I connect a headphone amp to my audio interface? 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › FS/FT: Philips Fidelio X1 (Excellent Condition, Stock and... 5 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › OPPO HA-2 by ryanjsoo
- › TFZ Series 1 by Hisoundfi
- › LH Labs Geek Out V2+ by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...