I'm new to this site and being ignorant in headphones I nearly bought skullcandy skullcrushers. So what I need help with is finding a good set of headphones that are good with rock, alternative, and dubstep. I like tight bass that is very clean and prominent. Price range is anything under $100. Thanks!
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandSkullcandytagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 8/15/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Bass-Heavy, Comfortable Headphones Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cans that have a BEATS sound but are better for ~$150? Last post on 12/17/11 at 1:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New to headphones, looking to move away from my Bose ( Need more bass ) Last post on 10/16/11 at 5:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-680 any good? Last post on 9/24/11 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pm
XB500 if you want even more raw bass. Equalize to bring out mids/highs and it's an excellent headphone for it's cost.
Spend $30 more ($130) and get the Ultrasone HFI 580 ultimately.
Very best,post #3 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pmpost #4 of 88/14/11 at 2:58pmThread Starterpost #5 of 88/14/11 at 3:01pmpost #6 of 88/14/11 at 3:20pmQuote:
Very comfortable. The pads are very squishy, like big pillows.
But if the style isn't what you think you would like, by all means, look elsewhere.
Here's how big they actually are, and what they look like on a person:
Very best,post #7 of 88/14/11 at 3:24pmThread Starter
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.post #8 of 88/15/11 at 5:29amQuote:Originally Posted by EpicPoptartPuma
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.
Remember to play with your equalizer. The XB500 sounds like there is a veil on the mids/highs at first when you listen to something that is like acoustic, vocals, indie or folk for example. It's the only headphone that I have that benefits from EQ in a major way. Bring your mids/highs up a few dB with the Equalizer and you will have a very full bodied sound, still with massive bass, but with some good mids/highs too. It's a headphone that you can take the veil away, and it doesn't distort or sound off, it just sounds better. A well equalized XB500 sounds like a $200 headphone to me.
I played around and was listening to Ani Difranco on settings like this in my Foobar2k Equalizer (granted, it sounds different for me due to my DAC, but you get the idea, raised mids/highs):
- Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Audible Differences in Copper vs. Silver Cables? 12 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 1 minute ago
- › WAV Sounds The Best (To Me) 1 minute ago
- › Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22? 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 2 minutes ago
- › Beresford Capella Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2