I'm new to this site and being ignorant in headphones I nearly bought skullcandy skullcrushers. So what I need help with is finding a good set of headphones that are good with rock, alternative, and dubstep. I like tight bass that is very clean and prominent. Price range is anything under $100. Thanks!
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandSkullcandytagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 8/15/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Bass-Heavy, Comfortable Headphones Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cans that have a BEATS sound but are better for ~$150? Last post on 12/17/11 at 1:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New to headphones, looking to move away from my Bose ( Need more bass ) Last post on 10/16/11 at 5:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-680 any good? Last post on 9/24/11 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Full review can be found at: https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-high-res-player-review/ Rating The NO BULL rating system is designed to take as many aspects of the device into...
I've had a short history with headphones. My first pair of good headphones were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I will mostly be comparing these two. These headphones are much more better looking,...
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pm
XB500 if you want even more raw bass. Equalize to bring out mids/highs and it's an excellent headphone for it's cost.
Spend $30 more ($130) and get the Ultrasone HFI 580 ultimately.
Very best,post #3 of 88/14/11 at 2:51pmpost #4 of 88/14/11 at 2:58pmThread Starterpost #5 of 88/14/11 at 3:01pmpost #6 of 88/14/11 at 3:20pmQuote:
Very comfortable. The pads are very squishy, like big pillows.
But if the style isn't what you think you would like, by all means, look elsewhere.
Here's how big they actually are, and what they look like on a person:
Very best,post #7 of 88/14/11 at 3:24pmThread Starter
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.post #8 of 88/15/11 at 5:29amQuote:Originally Posted by EpicPoptartPuma
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.
Remember to play with your equalizer. The XB500 sounds like there is a veil on the mids/highs at first when you listen to something that is like acoustic, vocals, indie or folk for example. It's the only headphone that I have that benefits from EQ in a major way. Bring your mids/highs up a few dB with the Equalizer and you will have a very full bodied sound, still with massive bass, but with some good mids/highs too. It's a headphone that you can take the veil away, and it doesn't distort or sound off, it just sounds better. A well equalized XB500 sounds like a $200 headphone to me.
I played around and was listening to Ani Difranco on settings like this in my Foobar2k Equalizer (granted, it sounds different for me due to my DAC, but you get the idea, raised mids/highs):
- Help on buying bassy headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and... 1 minute ago
- › Something new from Earsonics, the Earsonics ES3 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 4 minutes ago
- › PC Gaming AMP for AKG K702 4 minutes ago
- › Sub-bass oriented headphones/IEMs. 4 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further. 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 7 minutes ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 8 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by TheoS53
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear