So what do the Japanese spend their money on then? I'm curious.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandEtymotictagged by System, 8/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandJVCtagged by System, 8/15/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandPhilipstagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
- brandSonytagged by System, 8/15/11
- productSony mdr xb 1000tagged by System, 8/15/11More
- brandStaxtagged by System, 8/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Low budget headphones! Last post on 6/10/11 at 2:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some guidance on what sort of headphones to purchase Last post on 3/26/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone girls, interesting Last post on 8/19/11 at 10:49pm in Members' Lounge (General Discussion)
- Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote! Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Japan is the headphone paradise, and here's the proof - Page 9
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 1998/16/11 at 9:40pm
Nothing besides the necessities - most save their money for the rainy day, some simply don't earn enough to splurge on anything (average salary of Japanese is 3.5 mil yen a year, which is roughly 45k USD, but in a city where rent is one of the highest in the world). Asians had been known to save their money already, Japanese had it even worse gone through some massive social changes that instills many uncertainties towards the future - the property crash, abolishment of life long employment and knowledge that their pension system is broken and unsustainable due to low birth rates and an aging population, the young generation knows that relying on government handouts after they retire isn't going to let them survive and work isn't stable anymore so people save the hell out of their salary and put them into government bonds for interests. Any school of economics would tell you this is rational and expected behaviour on the micro (individual) level but on a macro level it is bad for the revival of the economy.post #123 of 1998/16/11 at 11:44pmQuote:
Yep, they had some SHURE 440's and 840's on show that allowed you to road-test using your own DAP.
I spent a bit of time with the 840 especially but still walked away with the M50. Things may have changed
but I found out that they Beyer range for example along with the higher tier AT's are mostly left for
'special orders' - they usually don't have them on hand.post #124 of 1998/17/11 at 12:20am
Aw only 840, I tried the 840 at Singapore airport and then tried the 940 directly after and I felt the 940 was a huge improvement at least to me and my tastes, I love the SRH-940.
Oh well back on topic to Japan I sure wish I could be there now demoing the XB1000.
:Bpost #125 of 1998/17/11 at 12:48am
Confused me there. Items in Japan cost a lot more because they have better pre-sale and post-sale support.
But once you purchase an item, you cannot return it?
Quote:Originally Posted by arnaud
post #126 of 1998/17/11 at 12:50am
- Prices are comparatively much higher than in the US and that's not just because of difference in buying power, it's also because there is a very large portion of the cost to finance both pre and post sales support.
- You cannot return goods (like the mandatory 30 days return policy in the US, no questions asked) so people will want to go check them out at the stores (stores are thus not dying from competition against internet sales like in the US)
Can you return stuff in Singapore koolkat?
I think in almost all asian countries, they're not even aware of the "return" policy, it just doesn't exist, personally I don't think that's a bad thing.post #127 of 1998/17/11 at 1:08ampost #128 of 1998/17/11 at 1:28ampost #129 of 1998/17/11 at 2:13ampost #130 of 1998/21/11 at 11:02pmQuote:
I'm interested in the XB1000 too. Do you know if any shop in Australia selling them?post #131 of 1998/22/11 at 1:14ampost #132 of 1998/22/11 at 1:21amQuote:
Nope, not sure if any retailers here have ordered massive quantities of the XB1000 yet? I'd venture it's still at the "special order" and slightly expensive stage, better to order one from overseas yourself perhaps? It's such a cool looking headphone if I was a retailer I'd have 30 of them lined up next to eachother lol.post #133 of 1998/22/11 at 2:08ampost #134 of 1998/22/11 at 3:36am
isn't there a remailing service in Australia?
like you ship to an imaginary US address and have them ship it to you?
you get to buy cheap headphones from retailers who are not willing to ship international,
and you get "international" warranty.post #135 of 1998/22/11 at 3:42am
- Japan is the headphone paradise, and here's the proof
- Headphone Impedance
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 19 seconds ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 23 seconds ago
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 2 minutes ago
- › Auralic Taurus Balanced Amp 4 pins xlr 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard X20 DAC 3 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/MISC Thread 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear