Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which one would be a better choice for $50?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which one would be a better choice for $50?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I would like to buy some new headphones mainly for PC use. I currently use just an onboard integrated sound card and a Gamecom 367.

 

My question is which of the following is a better choice: HD 201 + FiiO e5 or Superlux HD681.

 

I am also in Canada so the choices to buy are much slimmer than they are in the US. The cheapest HD201 on ebay is about $30 USD. The cheapest FiiO e5 is about $18. Then the HD681's are exactly $49. Shipping included.

 

HD201: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sennheiser-HD201-Lightweight-DJ-Headphones-Stereo-New-/150613354751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23114168ff

FiiO e5: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fiio-e5-3-5mm-earphone-volume-booster-power-amplifier-black-18350

Superlux HD681: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Superlux-HD-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones-/270799038543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0ce1684f


Edited by Kokuei - 8/13/11 at 3:50pm
post #2 of 15

for 50$ - forget about buying an amp

post #3 of 15

Yeah, drop the E5, it's worthless as a amp. 

 

HD201 is uncomfortable and cheaply built

 

Get the HD681 and go without a amp.

 

 

YOU ONLY NEED A AMP WHEN THE HEADPHONES NEEDS AN AMP, FIIO E5 ONLY WORKS WITH 1% OF HEADPHONES ON THE MARKET

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

The HD201's needs an amp to function well though. It's definitely in the 1%.. =P

 

Any more opinions?

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokuei View Post

The HD201's needs an amp to function well though. It's definitely in the 1%.. =P

 

Any more opinions?



No they don't. I've owned a pair and used them with and without a amp. Horrible

 

They run at 24ohm, meaning they don't need a amp for anything.

 

The HD681 run at 32ohms, but still don't need a amp.

 

 

The FiiO E5 doesn't send more power but adjusts the high and lows of some cans that are lacking highs and lows. It's only a very few like my Brainwavz M1's that have a notable difference with and without the E5.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokuei View Post

The HD201's needs an amp to function well though. It's definitely in the 1%.. =P

 

 


blink.gif the hd201? an amp? 

had those myself. sounded loud enough without any amps.

as for options, maybe a grado sr60/80 (great for rock, not much bass)

 

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costia View Post




blink.gif the hd201? an amp? 

had those myself. sounded loud enough without any amps.

as for options, maybe a grado sr60/80 (great for rock, not much bass)

 


Those are overpriced here. $100 for sr60 and $120 for sr80 and out of my budget. Prices from baybloorradio.com

 

post #8 of 15

I've had the 681 for a few days now and am loving it.  I know a lot of people tend to overhype headphones here, but it really is extremely good for the money--I bought it to complement AD900s and since they've arrived, head-time has been just about equal between the two.

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post





No they don't. I've owned a pair and used them with and without a amp. Horrible

 

They run at 24ohm, meaning they don't need a amp for anything.

 

The HD681 run at 32ohms, but still don't need a amp.

 

 

The FiiO E5 doesn't send more power but adjusts the high and lows of some cans that are lacking highs and lows. It's only a very few like my Brainwavz M1's that have a notable difference with and without the E5.


It's what I read when I researched it. That it needs to be "driven" with an amp otherwise it won't be as good.

 

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokuei View Post




It's what I read when I researched it. That it needs to be "driven" with an amp otherwise it won't be as good.

 


Ok, whatever. Don't believe me when I had the headphones and tried them through several different amps and sources.

 

Go ahead and pair a Headphone that doesn't need a amp, to a amp that doesn't do it's job.

 

post #11 of 15

Although we shouldn't be having this argument anyway (since Superlux offers better sound than low end Sennstongue_smile.gif), why bother buying a cheapsy E5 when you could just save up for a little while and get a decent but still budget amp in the E11 (if you decided you really needed an amp for lower-end offerings)?

post #12 of 15

Audiohipster has good prices on Superlux, that's were I bought my HD-668Bs last week.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

Audiohipster has good prices on Superlux, that's were I bought my HD-668Bs last week.


Yeah, if you go for the 668B, Audiohipster's having a "sale."  If you decide on the 681, Amazon's the way to go.

 

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftown1 View Post




Yeah, if you go for the 668B, Audiohipster's having a "sale."  If you decide on the 681, Amazon's the way to go.

 

That site is a complete eye sore. The HD681's are only on amazon.com You guys should stop skipping the fact that I'm from Canada.
 

 


Edited by Kokuei - 8/13/11 at 6:24pm
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post




Ok, whatever. Don't believe me when I had the headphones and tried them through several different amps and sources.

 

Go ahead and pair a Headphone that doesn't need a amp, to a amp that doesn't do it's job.

 



It's not that I don't believe you, it's just the research shows otherwise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which one would be a better choice for $50?