Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55... - Page 7

post #91 of 458
Thread Starter 

M-80s are not bass head cans.. The Pioneer HDJ500 the WS55 are bass head portables.. The M-80s the bass is decent and proper for most type of music but myself being a bass head. It is lacking for sure. Even the AKG 518 Le has more bass.  The M-80s are more mid centric cans and has some of the best mids I have ever heard in a portabe so they are nice that way but if bass is your thing I would skip those for one of these on this thread. You can get both of these cans for the price of a M-80 and you would be way happier.

post #92 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

M-80s are not bass head cans.. The Pioneer HDJ500 the WS55 are bass head portables.. The M-80s the bass is decent and proper for most type of music but myself being a bass head. It is lacking for sure. Even the AKG 518 Le has more bass.  The M-80s are more mid centric cans and has some of the best mids I have ever heard in a portabe so they are nice that way but if bass is your thing I would skip those for one of these on this thread. You can get both of these cans for the price of a M-80 and you would be way happier.


I mean I'm not a bass head the bass on the m50 suffices for me.. but I do like different headphones once i a while, and I definitley prefer bass over anything else,I'm not a basshead for life but I can do with it ;]. Soundquality wise how is the ws55 and M-80. Oh and have you heard the D1100? cause Idk if i should get two lesser pairs being the ws55 and the htf600 or just the D1100. M80 would be another phone to get later probably. Oh and one more thing XD which is better for gaming htf600, ws55, m80, m50, or hdj500? 

 

post #93 of 458
Thread Starter 

HTF600 are the best for gaming and bass heavy tunes they are a blast. The sound quality of the M-80 is indeed smooth and balanced more than bass heavy. The surprising thing about the WS55 is they do non bass heavy tunes perfectly.. If you have a M50 I suppose you want something a bit different. I skipped on the D1100 and got a D2000 instead. You can get a used D2000 for the price if a new D1100. I hear it is also bass heavy but sounds kinda artificial is the word.. I see many a  guys sell off their D1100 do I was never too curious about them..Heck if you got the money to do a M-80 I would get a used D2000.. There is 2 of them for sale on the sale forums. Great cans for sure.  If you need a portable the M-80s are more proper for bass light genres..

 

Lets see you can get one M-80 or get a WS55 and a HTF600.. Knowing what i do about all 3..

 

I would get a HTF600 and a WS55.  One for home and one for on the go.. I saw a slightly used HTF600 in the for sale forum for $30 that is a good deal as it looks new. I think they go for $45 now a days new.  Even though the sounds of the M-80 is more proper.. I still prefer my WS55. to me it is more engaging. If you get both you still have money left over maybe for a E11 for the big bass on the go.

post #94 of 458

I'm planning to buy my first mid-fi headphones soon. Gonna use them as portables straight out of my J3. Currently I'm having problem deciding between Ultrasone hfi-580 and AT ws55.

 

I prefer more punch than rumble in the bass department, though rumble is also important to me as well, and also a rather bright and clear presentation of sound. I listen to a wide genres of music, but I find myself listening to pop, rock and club music more than others. I was going to grab the hfi-580 until I read your review on the ws55. How would you compare the bass and highs of them to each other? Also, would the size of the hfi 580 be a problem for portable use?

post #95 of 458

can you compare the m50, ws55, xb700, htf600, and pro700 mkii in quality and bass quantity real quick just in order 

post #96 of 458
Thread Starter 

I will tell you the HFI-580 is one step above the WS55 in SQ. The one thing the WS55 does better is it is more portable and has nothing lacking in sound.. WS55 has a warm signature that is balanced well for all types of music but when you need that bass to come out to play. You will be surprised. The HFI-580 does have a bigger over all bass presentation over the WS55 but the WS55 does have ample bass for your genres..Both drive very well on all portable devices.. I know the cost of the HFI-580 has come down a bit because of sales. If you can find one for around $130 that is a good deal.. The WS55 can be bought for less than $100 everywhere and usually around $80.. If you are going to use these more for portable use. I wouldn't hesitate to get a WS55..

post #97 of 458
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

can you compare the m50, ws55, xb700, htf600, and pro700 mkii in quality and bass quantity real quick just in order 



Pro700Mk2>XB500>HFI-580>HTF600>WS55>M50 Quantity

 

XB700> HTF600>HFI-580>Pro700MK2>M50>WS55 Quality..


Edited by Dsnuts - 11/30/11 at 12:31pm
post #98 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post



Pro700Mk2>XB500>HFI-580>HTF600>WS55>M50 Quantity

 

XB700>HFi-580> HTF600>Pro700MK2>M50>WS55 Quality..



wait wat about xb700 for quantity and is that bass quality or over all quality, cause I didnt think the xb700 was near m50 quality, i mean it was great but detail retrieval was :/. and damn the htf600 was that good?! Maybe I should get it.

post #99 of 458
Thread Starter 

I don't own the Xb series so you can throw those out. From what RPGwizard says about the Bass on the XB500. It seems to be over all the best quality bass he has ever heard and I do respect his opinion on bass head cans. As for the others. The quality and quantity on the HTF600s are awesome and will surprise you with the musicality on them. They are cheap in price and if you are a basshead I would try one. The bass quality is very good on them.


Edited by Dsnuts - 11/30/11 at 12:57pm
post #100 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

I don't own the Xb series so you can throw those out. From what RPGwizard says about the Bass on the XB500. It seems to be over all the best quality bass he has ever heard and I do respect his opinion on bass head cans. As for the others. The quality and quantity on the HTF600s are awesome and will surprise you with the musicality on them. They are cheap in price and if you are a basshead I would try one. The bass quality is very good on them.



hmm I don't know I might give it a try, and damn so the pro700's really have that much bass? 

post #101 of 458
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post



hmm I don't know I might give it a try, and damn so the pro700's really have that much bass? 



The sound is like this.  25% highs 25% mids 50% lows.  Seriously I have not heard anything with bigger bass. But at a cost of a non proper sounding headphone. You can throw clarity and precision out the door on these. On bass heavy slower grooves the sound is awesome but once you throw on anything with quick note changes. Ie  Trance, dub .. There are lingering reverb from the last note that stays.. Some guys like them for the big bass but imo you can do better for the money.. I would recommend a HFI-580 or even a HTF600 over them.

post #102 of 458

Those WS55s look awesome. I think those may have made the top of my Christmas list.

post #103 of 458
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post

Those WS55s look awesome. I think those may have made the top of my Christmas list.



Absolutely awesome set of portable cans for the price.. These would be what your looking for there is even a WS55i version with iphone controls if you need one like that for a bit more.

post #104 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post



The sound is like this.  25% highs 25% mids 50% lows.  Seriously I have not heard anything with bigger bass. But at a cost of a non proper sounding headphone. You can throw clarity and precision out the door on these. On bass heavy slower grooves the sound is awesome but once you throw on anything with quick note changes. Ie  Trance, dub .. There are lingering reverb from the last note that stays.. Some guys like them for the big bass but imo you can do better for the money.. I would recommend a HFI-580 or even a HTF600 over them.



yeah ultrasones are a no just because i will take these on the go, I want pretty damn low profile, I'm being attracted, toward the D1100, LP2 maybe, pioneer hdj 2000, and maybe ws55. How strong is the bass on the htf600 and ws55? and d1100 if u heard em ?

post #105 of 458
Thread Starter 

I am liking what I am reading about those LP2s.. The Bass on the HTF600 is complete and full with good extension. The WS55 has just a good a mid bass punch as the HTF600 but the extension is not as good.. Might have something to do with driver size perhaps. The D1100. I hear is a big bass phone as well but I hear the sound is a bit artificial sounding.  Never was curious about them. I opted for the D2000 instead.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass