Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM - Page 64

post #946 of 1061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxR View Post

Is there a comparison between the Merlin and the Heir audio 4.a available anywhere, or does anyone here have both? I am currently looking at one of these two for my first pair of CIEMs, but the only comparisons I can find are between the Merlin and the 8.a, which isn't very useful since they are substantially different in price and my budget will only stretch to the 4.a.

 

 

I'd stay away from the Heir products at the moment, until such time as Heir proves themselves capable post-Wizerd-departure. The 4.A is a far more neutral sounding CIEM than the Merlin though.... significantly less bass, less crispness and snap in the upper mids.

post #947 of 1061
Does anyone have problems with channel imbalance with their Merlins?
post #948 of 1061

Apologies if this has been discussed already as I am new to this thread.

 

Are custom molds available yet in the US?

 

Am I understanding correctly there is a universal fit and custom fit Merlin?  Any differences in sound?  How is the seal and fit of the universals?  Would Comply tips provide the best fit?

 

Thanks in advance.
 

post #949 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Apologies if this has been discussed already as I am new to this thread.

 

Are custom molds available yet in the US?

 

Am I understanding correctly there is a universal fit and custom fit Merlin?  Any differences in sound?  How is the seal and fit of the universals?  Would Comply tips provide the best fit?

 

Thanks in advance.
 

 

As I understand it, UM are extremely reluctant to supply Universal fit versions to end-users.

post #950 of 1061

I believe there is discussion of the UM 3DD (or whatever it's called) being offered in both universal and custom, but the Merlin is custom only.

post #951 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post

I believe there is discussion of the UM 3DD (or whatever it's called) being offered in both universal and custom, but the Merlin is custom only.

 

Oh, yes, sorry, I did forget about the 3DD.

 

I was remarking about the tip-tier UM IEMs - Merlin, Miracle etc.

 

Cheers for correcting me

post #952 of 1061

For those interested in the Merlin but unsure whether the sound signature would suit them,  I would recommend to listen to the Sennheiser HD-650.

 

I find that they share a very similar presentation: deep extended bass, clear mids, sparkly but non agressive treble, and and overall laidback presentation. The HD-650 have a bit more clarity in the mid-range but sound drier and a bit soulless. The Merlin are more mellow and engaging. Anyway giving the HD-650 a try at your local shop is a good idea.

post #953 of 1061

Yes! This is the thread I was looking for. Subscribed.

post #954 of 1061

I'm buying mine second hand and getting it re-shelled - 

 

bad idea?

 

Also, I love bass, so I'm told this is the IEM to get.

post #955 of 1061

No, re-shelling should be fine. It's quite accepted practice, as long as you buy it from someone who you have reason to trust.

 

UM also do an excellent job with re-shelling.

 

The end result should be absolutely indistinguishable from brand new

post #956 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

No, re-shelling should be fine. It's quite accepted practice, as long as you buy it from someone who you have reason to trust.

 

Got it today! Woohoo! Shame our ears aren't the same size/shape.

 

So, any chance of getting this re-shelled into a universal fit? Is that a crazy/bad idea?

post #957 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Got it today! Woohoo! Shame our ears aren't the same size/shape.

 

So, any chance of getting this re-shelled into a universal fit? Is that a crazy/bad idea?

 

Welcome to the club mate :wink_face: this is currently my fave by far...

 

If you want to re-shell to universal, you will get a similar shape mold to the 3X, if that fits you well, then you will have no problem whatsoever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

I'm buying mine second hand and getting it re-shelled - 

 

bad idea?

 

Also, I love bass, so I'm told this is the IEM to get.

 

Bass is great, though impact and depth still trails behind the 3X - but texture, resolution, and details of the bass is just awesome, put simply, the best bass without having the greatest of impact

post #958 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvkool View Post
 

still trails behind the 3X

 

Funny seeing you here, mate!

 

Oh, how I miss the bass of the 3X. Bass that you exactly would want in hybrid.

post #959 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Funny seeing you here, mate!

 

Oh, how I miss the bass of the 3X. Bass that you exactly would want in hybrid.

 

Yeah I am a proud owner of universal Merlin, the original universal mold, I bought svyr's (been eyeing that for a long time :wink_face:) - this universal mold just like CIEM to me, fits and seal perfectly, and oh so comfortable 

 

Yeah haha I miss the 3X too, been without it for a month, hopefully I should have it back within 2-3 weeks

post #960 of 1061

Just heard back from Stephen Guo, he said he can remould my Merlin into a universal fit for $249..

 

Won't lie, I'm a little tempted! 

 

Advantages/disadvantages? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM