Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM - Page 5

post #61 of 1067


You run w/ a ipod=>hp-p1=>Merlin?!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesi7 View Post





Basically, to bridge the gap. There's some music that I listen to on the train on the way to work. Or when I'm out on a walk/run. That I'm not really doing any 'critical' listening, and I just want that real bass slam to give me the energy to keep running or brighten my day a little. But I don't want that all the time. In fact I will probably only want it in those 2 situations. And given the choice of waiting for something like the JH3A which has adjustable bass (which I am still considering), or having a iPod Classic > HP-P1 with both the Miracle and Merlin. I've got everything I could ask for really. So to me the decision was a no brainer. If what I've heard and read is to be believed. These will be great for that application. All the highs and mids of the Miracle with a little more kick, even if it does lose a little control. I think the 'fun' of it will be my main focus.

 

Also, and this is more of a stupid thing, but I had an awesome idea for artwork on them, and just couldn't resist putting it on something. biggrin.gif



 

post #62 of 1067

Not yet, the HP-P1 is on order. So I will be shortly. :D

post #63 of 1067

Looking forward to some impressions:)

post #64 of 1067

@Bajaiman

 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they were most helpful.

 

Happy Listening smile.gif  

post #65 of 1067
Had my impressions done today, will be sending them out next week! biggrin.gif
post #66 of 1067

Can anyone who has had the Merlin for a substantial length of time say whether the bass becomes more reverberating over time? It might just be my ears adjusting to the new sound sig, but I swear the decay on some basslines has increased comparative to when I first got them.

post #67 of 1067
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmsmshr View Post

Can anyone who has had the Merlin for a substantial length of time say whether the bass becomes more reverberating over time? It might just be my ears adjusting to the new sound sig, but I swear the decay on some basslines has increased comparative to when I first got them.



Can you give an example of this? Maybe I'm just slow this morning, but I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what it is I should be checking for. 

post #68 of 1067

"Bassline" was probably a misleading word to use, when I was talking more in terms of reduced punch and more sustain on things such as bass drums or sub-bass notes. Example is this track:

 

 

When the beat leads in at about 1:02 at first it was a flatter, more punchy sound - now I find it has a real decay to it, almost a tonal quality. Just wondering if this is how the sound is meant to be or if I've somehow managed to fry the drivers (I doubt it, but just want to make sure I'm not insane).

 

Edit: I am using this Youtube as an example of the track, I listen to a FLAC of this when I hear the difference.


Edited by phntmsmshr - 9/26/11 at 4:37pm
post #69 of 1067

Nice track! Slightly better rendition (720p) for those interested:

 

post #70 of 1067
Thread Starter 

I'll try to listen later to see what you mean. Are you saying it sounds better now, or worse, or just different?

post #71 of 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

I'll try to listen later to see what you mean. Are you saying it sounds better now, or worse, or just different?



I guess "different" is the most accurate, definitely not "worse".

post #72 of 1067

My Fostex HP-P1 has just arrived... I'm charging it tonight and will test it in the morning. :D

 

Now just need the Merlin's to arrive so I can get down to business!

 

Please come in tomorrow, please, please, please! :Dpopcorn.gif

post #73 of 1067
Just got the word from Matt, my Merlin's are in biggrin.gif
Will pick them up today!
Hoping to have a review of the Miracle vs. Merlin both with and without TWag and HP-P1 by the start of next week as I've had a few requests for those reviews.

Also will do a review of the Zo v2 when it comes out, I'm also very curious to know if the Zo would have bridged the gap between the Miracle and Merlin for 'those' times. smily_headphones1.gif
post #74 of 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesi7 View Post

Just got the word from Matt, my Merlin's are in biggrin.gif
Will pick them up today!
Hoping to have a review of the Miracle vs. Merlin both with and without TWag and HP-P1 by the start of next week as I've had a few requests for those reviews.

Also will do a review of the Zo v2 when it comes out, I'm also very curious to know if the Zo would have bridged the gap between the Miracle and Merlin for 'those' times. smily_headphones1.gif

Trust me my friend, I can think of a few others (points to self) just as eager to hear your impression(s)! biggrin.gif
post #75 of 1067
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post


Trust me my friend, I can think of a few others (points to self) just as eager to hear your impression(s)! biggrin.gif

 

X2
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM